By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - On the Subject of PS5 Backwards Compatibility

Bandorr said:
Shiken said:

Very simple, I would have to REBUY that game digitally to play it instead of just popping my disk in and playing.  You cannot put a PS2 game into your PS4 and play it, so it is not BC.

You are basically being forced to rebuy emulated ports of games you already have.  By your logic, one can say the Switch is BC with the Wii, GC, and N64 because Super Mario 3D Allstars is just a compilation of emulated ports that we have to rebuy.

So again, there is no BC on the PS4, and only PS4 BC on the PS5.  Backwards compatibility and digital ports you have to rebuy are not the same thing, and honestly seems like a desperate attempt at downplay to what MS is doing.

"seems like a desperate attempt" yeah I was just thinking those same words...

So if someone buys a PS2 game online. Never owning the disk. And years later they are able to still play that on the PS4. .. That isn't backwards compatible?

Yes "seems like a desperate attempt" is a very accurate description indeed..

If a Ps2 game is ported to the ps4, say GTA:San Andreas, is it not a ps4 game now? You still need to rebuy it even if you owned the game before. 

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

So if someone buys a PS2 game online. Never owning the disk. And years later they are able to still play that on the PS4. .. That isn't backwards compatible?

So you bought a PS2 game digitally on your PS2 and it works on your PS4? Or did you buy a PS2 game on the PS4 digitally that was designed to work on it? It looks like you don't understand backwards compatibility.  A PS2 game purchased on the PS4 digitally was a PS4 game and should work on the PS5.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Does ordering a psvr adapter work for anyone else? Anyone have PSVR lol?

This link responds
https://global.support.playstation.com/s/pscamera-adaptor?language=en_US
and lets me fill out my Canadian Address, but doesn't accept Canadian postal codes so you can't complete the form.
(it accepts a maximum of 5 alphanumeric characters, Canadian postal codes use 6)

When I change the langue to EN-CA, I get this link, but this one never loads
https://global.support.playstation.com/s/pscamera-adaptor?language=en_CA

I'm getting less and less interested in buying into next gen at this point.

This might explain it, Sony Canada is down

Sorry

The Sony site is temporarily under construction Please check back later.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 01 November 2020

DroidKnight said:
Bandorr said:

So you bought a PS2 game digitally on your PS2 and it works on your PS4? Or did you buy a PS2 game on the PS4 digitally that was designed to work on it? It looks like you don't understand backwards compatibility.  A PS2 game purchased on the PS4 digitally was a PS4 game and should work on the PS5.  

It's the same with XBox BC, except you don't buy the game. You still need to download a version compiled for the One and Series. The disk only prompts a download. So by your definition XBox One and Series don't have BC at all, just free updates for lazy remasters ;p

SvennoJ said:

It's the same with XBox BC, except you don't buy the game. You still need to download a version compiled for the One and Series. The disk only prompts a download. So by your definition XBox One and Series don't have BC at all, just free updates for lazy remasters ;p

When you typed the "except you don't buy the game" should have been a dead giveaway for you. Lol.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
SvennoJ said:

When you typed the "except you don't buy the game" should have been a dead giveaway for you. Lol.

So if I give you the game for free, it is backwards compatible?

In fact you cannot play BC games without an internet connection on XBox One. The disc is useless on its own.

And games sold on GOG are not BC either on PC?

smroadkill15 said:
Bandorr said:

If a Ps2 game is ported to the ps4, say GTA:San Andreas, is it not a ps4 game now? You still need to rebuy it even if you owned the game before. 

Yeah thats my point, it is a port of a PS2 game released digitally (emulation or not).  I need some clarification on something...

A PS2 digital game on PS3 to my knowledge does not carry over your purchase to the PS4.  That means you have to rebuy it to play it on the PS4 and therefore IS NOT BC.  If you buy it on PS4 and can play it on PS5, that is PS4 BC.  That is what I have been saying.

Now the way he made it out was as if the PS3 purchase of a PS2 game would be playable on PS5 and PS4, which would be limited to digital BC but not full BC.

But if those purchases do not carry over and you need to rebuy it again, yeah that is not BC.  I find it funny how all of a sudden digital ports qualify for BC if that is the case.  I have not made any digital purchases of PS2 games to test this out though, so can someone please verify which is the case?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

SvennoJ said:

In fact you cannot play BC games without an internet connection on XBox One. The disc is useless on its own.

I bought the game.  I don't have to buy the game again.  I stick in my PS4 game disc into the PS5 and it plays.  If you give me a PS4 game for free and I stick it into the PS5 it still will work.  You paid for it.  My Xbox or Xbox 360 or Xbox One games that I have paid for or got free from a friend that he paid for will work when I put them in without having to pay again.  That's backwards compatible. As long as I'm not paying again to play these same games it's backwards compatible.  

DroidKnight said:
SvennoJ said:

I bought the game.  I don't have to buy the game again.  I stick in my PS4 game disc into the PS5 and it plays.  If you give me a PS4 game for free and I stick it into the PS5 it still will work.  You paid for it.  My Xbox or Xbox 360 or Xbox One games that I have paid for or got free from a friend that he paid for will work when I put them in without having to pay again.  That's backwards compatible. As long as I'm not paying again to play these same games it's backwards compatible.  

That's not the definition of backwards compatible.

According to the definition online XBox does not have BC
(of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
But if you want to call what XBox does BC, then ps2 games with adaptation/modification free or not are BC on ps4 / ps5 as well.

You can play old PC games you have bought before on new systems by doing some work yourself (Configuring DOS box for example) or you can buy the package for a small fee from GOG (rebuying the game) who do that compatibility work for you.
Sony charges more to fit the old ps2 games into the emulator, but in essence it's the same and still the same base software.

Of course then the line blurs with remasters, more and more modification until you get into remakes which makes it a 'new' game.

SvennoJ said:

That's not the definition of backwards compatible.

According to the definition online XBox does not have BC
(of computer hardware or software) able to be used with an older piece of hardware or software without special adaptation or modification.
But if you want to call what XBox does BC, then ps2 games with adaptation/modification free or not are BC on ps4 / ps5 as well.

You can play old PC games you have bought before on new systems by doing some work yourself (Configuring DOS box for example) or you can buy the package for a small fee from GOG (rebuying the game) who do that compatibility work for you.
Sony charges more to fit the old ps2 games into the emulator, but in essence it's the same and still the same base software.

Of course then the line blurs with remasters, more and more modification until you get into remakes which makes it a 'new' game.

Requesting a thread lock since there is no such thing as Backwards Compatibility for PS5 and the OP shouldn't be spreading misinformation about games being backwards compatible or not since it's a myth.