By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other Nintendo-third party collaborations you'd like to see

Mnementh said:

Lego Zelda - you heard it here first!

I want a Lego Mario first - and no, that Mario Lego set doesn't count, it's supposed to be a videogame!

Around the Network

oh man, i've soured on nintendo for their lack of a AAA library, i can't remember alot of the particular studios, but i'll try to equate the games i'd like to see.

ghost recon wildlands or halo 1 x starfox. 3pshooter with lots of vehicles. 4 player co-op would be cool, but it really could be a 1 player game with falco or wolf starring (using falco may help ppl except it as a spin off since die hards will say "star fox has to be an on rails shooter"). OR starhawk with its build and battle system with starfox. that'd be sweet too.

Eternal darkness and re2/3 remake. fatal frame and resident evil 7.

watch dogs or gta x f zero. Actually see falcon on bounty hunt (has chase sections but no actual racing).

playtonic/3d yooka laylee or super lucky's tale x 3d ice climbers.

ubisoft fenxy/gods and monsters x kid icarus (this is way overdue).

mario rpg x ff7 remake (that could be amazing). i'd love to get a xenoblade chronicles that has the story its known for, but the classic turn based style of old school square final fantasy.

slightly offtopic side mention- 2nd party deal where nintendo pays act/blizzard for starcraft ghost.

OH! aragami team making a stealth game starring impa.

vanquish style splatoon campaign might be sweet.

my favorite types of games are open world with that batman arkham shadow of mordor style of counter based combat system. Not sure the best franchise for that though. Maybe fire emblem? or a pokemon spinoff starring lucario?

I'm done with 2d sidescrollers, racers, or on rails shooters.  There are plenty of indies making budget friendly games in those styles.  wanna make a $20-$40 eshop titles for star fox, f zero, kirby? go for it. That's a very suitable platform for those games. 

CarcharodonKraz said:

ubisoft fenxy/gods and monsters x kid icarus (this is way overdue).

I'm kinda surprised they didn't do this to be honest, in light of how they integrated Starfox into Starlink Battle for Atlas.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
cosmic_drift said:
Capcom did a pretty good job on the handheld Zelda titles, namely Oracle of Time/Seasons. I'd like to see them have another go at a smaller scale Zelda game similar to Link's Awakening Remake, while Nintendo proper continues to work on the bigger titles.

I don't think something like a brand new 2D Zelda would be seen as small enough for Nintendo to give it to a third party company nowadays sadly, despite how cool another Capcom 2D Zelda would be.

Seriously though, if Nintendo isn't going to make new entries in a lot of their franchises, I think letting prolific third parties make new entries in them rather than just pumping out more remakes would be a much cooler solution. If we get a remade 2D Metroid or another remade Zelda on the Switch instead of a new game ... my god ... 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/cadence-of-hyrule-crypt-of-the-necrodancer-featuring-the-legend-of-zelda-switch/

Granted, I haven't played it beyond the demo, so it could just be Crypt of the Necrodance with a Zelda skin, meaning that Nintendo greenlighted something that was already finished and proven instead of taking a chance on a wild card. It's still pretty telling of how Nintendo is willing to let third parties use its IPs now, especially after those CDi games.

KrspaceT said:

If there are ex Bioware devs with some footing maybe a M.E style RPG in the Metroid verse could work. It's style shift would probably have less problems than Federation Force. Of course only way that happens is if they join Retro...

Ya beat me to it.

Around the Network
burninmylight said:

I don't think something like a brand new 2D Zelda would be seen as small enough for Nintendo to give it to a third party company nowadays sadly, despite how cool another Capcom 2D Zelda would be.

Seriously though, if Nintendo isn't going to make new entries in a lot of their franchises, I think letting prolific third parties make new entries in them rather than just pumping out more remakes would be a much cooler solution. If we get a remade 2D Metroid or another remade Zelda on the Switch instead of a new game ... my god ... 

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/cadence-of-hyrule-crypt-of-the-necrodancer-featuring-the-legend-of-zelda-switch/

Granted, I haven't played it beyond the demo, so it could just be Crypt of the Necrodance with a Zelda skin, meaning that Nintendo greenlighted something that was already finished and proven instead of taking a chance on a wild card. It's still pretty telling of how Nintendo is willing to let third parties use its IPs now, especially after those CDi games.

Do you think I didn't know about this game. Or do you think, maybe, a brand new 2D Zelda game, a mainline one no less, has more precedence to set than a spin-off rhythm game? 

Besides Minish Cap came out after the CDi games, so that's a weird comment anyways. 

burninmylight said:

Do you think I didn't know about this game. Or do you think, maybe, a brand new 2D Zelda game, a mainline one no less, has more precedence to set than a spin-off rhythm game? 

Besides Minish Cap came out after the CDi games, so that's a weird comment anyways. 

Do you think I didn't know about this game.

Yes, I did. Because you said this:

Cadence of Hyrule is a brand new 2D Zelda that was given to a third party company. Calling it a rhythm game changes nothing when the primary gameplay is much closer to every other 2D Zelda sans AoL than a typical rhythm game like Rhythm Heaven or Harmoknight. You can turn off the gameplay that requires rhythm and musical timing entirely so that it plays more like a Mystery Dungeon game.

I forgot that The Minish Cap was developed by Flagship, but whatevs.

burninmylight said:

Cadence of Hyrule is a brand new 2D Zelda that was given to a third party company. Calling it a rhythm game changes nothing when the primary gameplay is much closer to every other 2D Zelda sans AoL than a typical rhythm game like Rhythm Heaven or Harmoknight. You can turn off the gameplay that requires rhythm and musical timing entirely so that it plays more like a Mystery Dungeon game.

I mean, anyone who understands that connotations are a thing would pick up on the fact that we're talking about a mainline game.

In the own thing you are quoting:

I don't think something like a brand new 2D Zelda (already a good hint because most people associate brand new 2d Zelda = mainline) would be seen as small enough (the best hint possible because 2D Zelda spin-offs are inherently smaller) for Nintendo to give it to a third party company nowadays sadly, despite how cool another Capcom 2D Zelda would be.

Even if I could have been more anally clear, I think there is clearly enough subtext there for anyone to get the point. Also, not sure why just disregarding the spin-off nature of the genre is a good thing in a discussion like this? It doesn't really matter if it's inherently closer to 2D Zelda than something else (than what even? what an odd thing to say), it's literally a 2D game, but it still isn't a mainline 2D Zelda ... which again, you could tell was the point of the discussion. 

Personally, i'd love to see a ridge racer-related title as a collaboration between Nintendo and Namco.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

burninmylight said:

I mean, anyone who understands that connotations are a thing would pick up on the fact that we're talking about a mainline game.

In the own thing you are quoting:

I don't think something like a brand new 2D Zelda (already a good hint because most people associate brand new 2d Zelda = mainline) would be seen as small enough (the best hint possible because 2D Zelda spin-offs are inherently smaller) for Nintendo to give it to a third party company nowadays sadly, despite how cool another Capcom 2D Zelda would be.

Even if I could have been more anally clear, I think there is clearly enough subtext there for anyone to get the point. Also, not sure why just disregarding the spin-off nature of the genre is a good thing in a discussion like this? It doesn't really matter if it's inherently closer to 2D Zelda than something else (than what even? what an odd thing to say), it's literally a 2D game, but it still isn't a mainline 2D Zelda ... which again, you could tell was the point of the discussion. 

I see a whole lot of shifting goalposts here. First you discount CoH as a rhythm game even though its gameplay is much closer to the 2D Zelda style than any rhythm game out there, now you're going with the "not sure if trolling or just retarded" fallacy of implying that everyone should have known what you meant, even though you said nothing about the mainline/spinoff status, scope, budget, length or canonical nature of such a game being factors. "Small" can mean so many things, so in this case, it means whatever you want whenever you need it to mean that, and I'm supposed to know exactly what you mean at all times.

So yes, you could have been more clear (and less anal). And no, there isn't enough subtext for me to get your point, because the OP's point was to simply ask about collaborations with third parties we'd like to see, and didn't add all of these extra qualifiers that you're now throwing out there. I apologize for not realizing that you were adding all of these extra rules and stipulations in order to answer the question.

It's a good thing 2D Metroid is seen as small enough to warrant Nintendo giving to a third party dev, otherwise we wouldn't have Samus Returns. It's a good thing the Mario IP is seen as flexible enough to warrant Nintendo giving to Ubisoft, otherwise we wouldn't have Mario + Rabbids. It's a good thing the Hyrule Warriors is considered a spinoff to warrant Nintendo giving it to Tecmo Koei, otherwise we wouldn't have Age of Calamity.

I get it now. Putting arbitrary qualifiers on everything is fun.