By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set

XBS are the only Next Gen consoles with full Direct X 12U RDNA 2 features.

PS5 is the only Next Gen consoles with full PlayStation Shader Language RDNA 2 features.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

From what I understand(I don't understand shit really, btw), putting aside Direct X, it was Mark Cerny's decision not to make it full RDNA 2 because some of the features are designed more for non gaming PC tasks, so he considered it redundant for a gaming console to include it/them, left it out to make room for more customized features that aren't in RDNA 2.

Don't ask me to elaborate, I don't really know what I'm talking about, I'm just a humble console peasant, and this is my interpretation of some of the things I've heard MooresLawIsDead say.
https://www.youtube.com/c/MooresLawIsDead/videos

Customisations to hardware are a thing.
Sony have just customised their chips instead of useing full base AMD RDNA 2, they changed parts of it, to something they wanted instead.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-custom-rdna2-have-their-own-vrs-and-mesh-shading-cerny-and-naughty-dog.1573877/

"Sony wanted their own VRS and own mesh shader type operations." - Geordiemp

This article about the xbox makes it sound like a fantastic thing, that its full RDNA2.
That could also mean "too lazy to try and improve" on AMDs design.
Maybe Sony wanted something differnt or better, and changed parts of the design.

This doesnt have to be a weakness.

BraLoD said:

This thread is just something else.
MS PR wording, which means nothing at all, apparently confirmed the PS5 was a 2019 console that got delayed, holy shit hahaha.
Teh warz are really something, don't worry, you'll see your difference, not the way you want tho xD

This. People blowing this out of purportions, because of PR takes from a xbox site.

Hiku said:

An info-graph to help people visualize.
The chips were developed at the same time.

Yes, people ignore that customsation of chips isn't something new or unheard of in consoles.
You could take out a part of RDNA2 and change it to something you rather used instead (which there would be a reason for, otherwise why bother doing it?). It could be better off, for being customised differntly than full RDNA2, we dont know.

I'm sure that the PR article is "literally" right in some way that will be discovered soon (maybe number of compute cores they showed on screen, or GHz, or DirectX support). I'm also sure that AMD aren't maintaining multiple different versions of their GPU that differ in significant ways.

The consoles will be out in a couple of weeks, so we can put them side by side. My guess is they are going to as close to identical as we have ever seen two consoles...

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
This matches with the rumors that PS5 was originally designed as a 2019 console, but had to be delayed into 2020, full RDNA 2 wouldn't have been ready if PS5 was designed as a 2019 console originally. Also explains why PS5 has a 350 watt power supply compared to 320 watt for Xbox Series X, even though Xbox Series X is more powerful and has locked clocks compared to variable clocks on PS5; if PS5 is only RDNA 1.5 (RDNA 1 with some RDNA 2 features), we know that RDNA 2 is more power efficient, which would explain why Xbox Series can get away with a smaller power supply in spite of the console being more powerful.

It’s pretty amazing how over time the GitHub leak has turned out to be almost entirely accurate. GAF and Reeeeeee mods should be dining on crow for months. It also explains the delay in dev kits that people were rumored to be annoyed by earlier this year, MS was simply waiting for full RDNA2 support.

Obviously MS wants development between console and PC to be as simple as possible. Sony doesn’t have to worry or care about this. Will be interesting to see what differences this makes in multiplats down the line. Won’t make any differences at launch.

GAF is in full meltdown mode though.... amazing responses. Apparently MS is lying... and RDNA2 is “generic” anyway. Mind you this is coming from the same posters who for months were saying PS5 is the only RDNA2 console. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, RDNA2 is generic. When you’re bored, the thread there is worth a read lol

Some pretty pointless PR. Of course the PS5 doesn't support Microsoft's Direct Storage... of course PS5 doesn't support DirectX Ray Tracing.

They have their own custom versions. This is just PR fluff that people will use as ammunition for silly console wars.

I mean, its probably an advantage to devs who are used to PC, meaning Xbox versions might run slightly better then ps5 if its a game also on PC.

That being said, we don't know how well PS's solution will do VERSES the xbox's DX12 implementation so...

shikamaru317 said:
This matches with the rumors that PS5 was originally designed as a 2019 console, but had to be delayed into 2020, full RDNA 2 wouldn't have been ready if PS5 was designed as a 2019 console originally. Also explains why PS5 has a 350 watt power supply compared to 320 watt for Xbox Series X, even though Xbox Series X is more powerful and has locked clocks compared to variable clocks on PS5; if PS5 is only RDNA 1.5 (RDNA 1 with some RDNA 2 features), we know that RDNA 2 is more power efficient, which would explain why Xbox Series can get away with a smaller power supply in spite of the console being more powerful.

Can't give any credit at all to the 2019 rumour. The small difference in performance is entirely down to the number of CU's. Both are RDNA 2, the difference is PS5 implements custom versions of some of these technologies, so while MS can say that they have the only console supporting all the feature set that was on stage... well it's meaningless and obvious.

Obviously PS5 cannot support DirectX Ray Tracing, it doesn't use DirectX... a microsoft technology. Obviously it doesn't use Microsoft's Direct Storage either. So that's 2 parts of the RDNA 2 feature set PS5 is missing... but they have their own versions that may be equal or even surpass Microsoft's so... this isn't a win. This is a "we have different stuff" that's it. Different, not necessarily better or worse.

PS5 supports Ray Tracing (Custom version of DirectX Ray Tracing), PS5 has a blazingly fast SSD (Custom version of Direct Storage), PS5 also has it's own versions of Variable Rate Shading and Mesh Shading. It isn't missing features, it's using it's own versions.

As for 320w vs 350w I believe running more CU's at a lower clock speed like Xbox will be more power efficient than the PS5 running less CU's at higher clocks. There's also other areas where PS5 may require more power. It's SSD may use more, tempest audio engine, Wifi 6 over Wifi 5, and it even has an extra usb port (usb-c at that) over the Xbox Series X meaning a higher potential Watt Usage. (The extra USB-C port on it's own could account for 9 watts +).

320w vs 350w isn't indication that PS5 isn't using RDNA 2.

So in conclusion this is just a little bit of PR fluff that is being blown out of proportion. Microsoft uses the same implementations as they do on their PC so they support the same RDNA 2 feature set shown on stage at the event. PlayStation uses different implementations on their console.

This is not a better or worse, it's just a difference.

shikamaru317 said:

Power Supply does not equal Power Consumption.

The law of thermodynamics literally comes into play, essentially a Power Supply converts energy (I.E. 240v down to 12v) and in the process of doing so looses some energy during the conversion process... And every power supply has an efficiency curve.

So for example... An 80% efficient 400w power supply would actually draw 480w from the wall to deliver 400w, where-as a 90% efficient power supply would draw 440w from the wall.

Both deliver 400w.

And another aspect we need to keep in mind is that as a power supply begins to age, they actually do become less efficient, so console manufacturers need to build additional tolerance in the power supply to ensure that as it ages, it will still be able to provide the electrical needs over the long term.

In short... Please take the 350w vs 320w PSU as irrelevant, because ultimately it is.
What needs to happen is proper power draw analysis done on individual components... And that generally isn't happening until these devices are released.

Bandorr said:

Wonder which version I saw on the DMC website.  It isn't coming to PC so probably not that one.

It isn't on S and has to be patched on X later. So I'm guessing the PS5 version then?

I found that pretty impressive.

Then again my only real first-hand impression of ray-tracing is Control on PC. That was amazing but very taxing.

I love a good comparison though. We could see Control vs Control. Or DMC vs DMC (post patch).  I think Watch dogs has it also?

I'll have to go back and watch the spider-man one. I thought the reflections looked good but maybe I have forgotten.  What is a good example of "good" RT reflections that I can watch?

Ray Tracing has been in video games for years, trust me, we have all seen it and experienced it to various degrees.
Hardware based Ray Tracing is taking it a big leap forwards.

Hiku said:

So the idea that they'd somehow miss out on something they developed together sounds extremely unlikely.

I think the reason people got confused is because these chips were designed while AMD were still working on their PC mass market RDNA2. So in that sense both Microsoft's and Sony's solutions could be called RDNA 1.5. Not because they are inferior to RDNA 2, but because they are custom, different, and finalized shortly before AMD's PC version.

But because 99.99% of people will look at 1.5 and think it means something negative, Sony and MS would want to call them RDNA2 based.

It's really to early to tell what the fundamental differences are between RDNA 1.0 and 2.0 from a low-laying perspective anyway.

But even Microsoft's Xbox Series X has some significant deviation from known PC RDNA 2.0 GPUs, such as lacking an infinity cache.

KratosLives said:
Shinobi-san said:

Because MS knows that no other console runs DirectX :)

Ah ok, so just the usual PR stuff. 

From an end user perspective, pretty much.

Regardless if you have an Xbox Series S, Series X or a Playstation 5, you are going to have a fantastic time.

Goatseye said:
Shinobi-san said:

haha i guess so.

But that doesn't mean Sony has the full feature set of RDNA 2, but I would imagine that Sony would have had the choice to include or exclude as they see fit. We do know for sure though that Cerny directly made reference to Mesh Shaders and a variant of Sampler Feedback. He however, made no reference to Variable Rate Shading or anything similar as far as I know.

I’m pretty sure Cerny mentioned Primitive Shader and not Mesh.

Mesh and Primitive Shaders are the same thing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--