By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Xbox Series S and X only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set

Bandorr said:
Machiavellian said:

It should be interesting to see how each system uses ray tracing and the results in quality and performance.  If Sony implementation is custom, how much custom is it and at what level of quality and performance are we going to see compared to AMD RDNA2 feature set.  If we go by Spiderman for the PS5, the quality of the RT reflections were pretty low.  Hopefully we have an example between both systems to get a good understanding the differences between implementations.

Wonder which version I saw on the DMC website.  It isn't coming to PC so probably not that one.

It isn't on S and has to be patched on X later. So I'm guessing the PS5 version then?

I found that pretty impressive.

Then again my only real first-hand impression of ray-tracing is Control on PC. That was amazing but very taxing.

I love a good comparison though. We could see Control vs Control. Or DMC vs DMC (post patch).  I think Watch dogs has it also?

I'll have to go back and watch the spider-man one. I thought the reflections looked good but maybe I have forgotten.  What is a good example of "good" RT reflections that I can watch?

Not sure, I just saw the DF article talk about the reflection and the cost of getting it done depending on budget.  Not sure if the hardware in the PS5 is Sony own custom piece or AMD custom piece that was a stop gate for RT.  Should be interesting to see down the line.  At the end of the day, I highly doubt it will mean very much.

Around the Network

This could explain the reports of delayed Xbox dev kits, they were waiting on AMD. Wonder what impact this could have had on launch window X|S titles.

In the end, this isn't going to matter. MS is basically just taking what AMD is handing out as the RDNA 2 standard, while Sony took the RDNA 2 base (yes, it's still RDNA 2, diehards) and used their own custom versions of certain tech. We'll have to wait and see which is better, but more than likely, they will have near identical results.

Pretty sure this is mostly down to DirectX support.

Sony has confirmed RDNA2 (both in the teardown and by Cerny) which doesn't only mean a feature set but also architectural changes etc.

Majority of the gain will be down to architectural changes as described by AMD today. Well at least this is my understanding.

I don't see how you get a 50-60% performance improvement simply because of the listed features.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Hiku said:

What does "only next-gen consoles with full RDNA 2 feature set" mean?
Which one of the listed RDNA 2 features does PS5 not have? And who decides what full means between custom chips that both have unique properties that the other doesn't have?

I think it means that there are some RDNA2 features that the other next-gen consoles don't have. Are those features going to be really important and make a big difference? We don't really know, but one thing is certain; MS is not legally allowed to make such a statement if it wasn't true, and I'm 100% sure that the other console manufacturers would not just stay quiet if what was said wasn't true, even if it is just a technicality.

Around the Network

how does microsoft know that their consoles are the "only next gen systems to have full rdna2"? Don;t they all have license agreements of what they can discuss between each other and confidentiality?

KratosLives said:
how does microsoft know that their consoles are the "only next gen systems to have full rdna2"? Don;t they all have license agreements of what they can discuss between each other and confidentiality?

Because MS knows that no other console runs DirectX :)

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
KratosLives said:

Ah ok, so just the usual PR stuff. 

KratosLives said:
Shinobi-san said:

haha i guess so.

But that doesn't mean Sony has the full feature set of RDNA 2, but I would imagine that Sony would have had the choice to include or exclude as they see fit. We do know for sure though that Cerny directly made reference to Mesh Shaders and a variant of Sampler Feedback. He however, made no reference to Variable Rate Shading or anything similar as far as I know.

Shinobi-san said:
KratosLives said:

haha i guess so.

But that doesn't mean Sony has the full feature set of RDNA 2, but I would imagine that Sony would have had the choice to include or exclude as they see fit. We do know for sure though that Cerny directly made reference to Mesh Shaders and a variant of Sampler Feedback. He however, made no reference to Variable Rate Shading or anything similar as far as I know.

Well ofcourse, they don't directx12, they have their own api, they have their own mesh shading tech and so on. I remember hearing mark cerny talking about something similar to VrS. But it's funny how in AMD's presentation they spoke about the features that will be in xbox consoles, and then showcased a ps5 exclusive Godfall.