By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rare or Retro. Your Donkey Kong experience

Hello everyone!

So I am Playing DK Tropical Freeze and man, I'm enjoying this game so much. It's safe to say that is one of the best 2d platformers game I've ever played. Now, having say that I know a lot of people think the Classic Donkey Kong country games made by Rare to be far superior than the modern ones developed by Retro. 
I remember being a teenager playing DKC and while I did have a lot of fun playing them, I never felt that sensation of "this is is one best games I ever played". A constant feeling I got constantly while playing the latter games. I have enjoyed a lot all DK games, but in my opinion I think Retro has surpassed what Rare did back in the day.

What are your thoughts? Which DK games do you prefer the most, Rare or Retro?

Around the Network

DKC and DKCR were letdowns, for me personally. But DCK2 and DCKTF were fantastic games. The one major difference between them, to me, is effort in story telling. SNES games were extremely limited, so proportionally those games stories were acceptable in depth for the day and age. But Tropical Freeze, which was enhanced in numerous ways compared to the older games, had no leap forward in story telling. I'd argue the TF story is weaker than DKC2 one, and that is just laziness. Games like Trine prove that 2-D games can have fantastic stories and it doesn't ruin the gameplay. This is actually why I love DK64 so much, that game actually attempted doing a story.

When I made a poll on this about a year ago, Rare won as I recall.

Personally, I cannot choose, they're too closely matched in my opinion, both amazing in their own way. The Rare games have more atmosphere, but the Retro games have a greater sense of scale and interactivity with the levels deforming, collapsing, or otherwise moving around you in ways that weren't possible back in the 16-bit era.

Both have absolutely sublime level design, controls/physics, music, (DKCR aside) and pacing. All 5 console entries are gold-tier classics and among the best 2D platformers ever made.

Dulfite said:
DKC and DKCR were letdowns, for me personally. But DCK2 and DCKTF were fantastic games. The one major difference between them, to me, is effort in story telling. SNES games were extremely limited, so proportionally those games stories were acceptable in depth for the day and age. But Tropical Freeze, which was enhanced in numerous ways compared to the older games, had no leap forward in story telling. I'd argue the TF story is weaker than DKC2 one, and that is just laziness. Games like Trine prove that 2-D games can have fantastic stories and it doesn't ruin the gameplay. This is actually why I love DK64 so much, that game actually attempted doing a story.

I never played DK64, do you recommend it?

Another question, I played Trine 1 and got bored during the middle, so I never try the other ones. Do they get better?

Fuchigole said:
Dulfite said:

I never played DK64, do you recommend it?

Another question, I played Trine 1 and got bored during the middle, so I never try the other ones. Do they get better?

Personally I wouldn't recommend DK64, the amount of backtracking is extreme and by modern standards it really doesn't respect the player's time.

And if Trine 1 bored you, I'd say you're unlikely to enjoy the others.

Around the Network

To me, the best Rare DKC game is the first one. Soundtrack is better on the second, but overall the first is better to me.

DKCR is slightly under the original DKC, but much more enjoyable than the other 2 Rare entries.

DKCTF blows everything else out of the water.

Retro wins.

*All just my opinion.... obviously

1doesnotsimply

Not even a contest. Rare.

DKCR and DKCTF are not bad games, but you just can't compare them to the SNES trilogy.

EAD with Jungle Beat.

Retro, like the Rare games, but Tropical Freeze alone is on another level.

I like the original DKC. Dod not like Tropical freeze aside from music. Nothing against TF but by the time I played it. I had just grown sick of platformers with few exceptions.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Well, I play DKC and DKC2 just recently through the NSO and I think I used to like them much more when I was a kid. Nowadays I prefer DKCR and DKCTF, so Retro for me.