By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who Should Make A New Banjo-Kazooie?

curl-6 said:

As long as it's not Rare, after Nuts and Bolts they should never be allowed within 100 meters of the IP again. (Plus in my opinion they have not made a good game since the N64)

Playtonic could do it I reckon; Yooka Laylee had its issues but the potential was there.

Wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

As long as it's not Rare, after Nuts and Bolts they should never be allowed within 100 meters of the IP again. (Plus in my opinion they have not made a good game since the N64)

Playtonic could do it I reckon; Yooka Laylee had its issues but the potential was there.

Agreed, unless they want to make a sequel because N&B was fucking awesome. If they remastered that game with instant loading and 120 fps, I'd be there on day one.

I said it before and I'll say it again. MS should buy Playtonic and have them make platformers exclusively.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

CaptainExplosion said:
Dulfite said:

I love Banjo and I want more. I also want more Yooka Laylee. I also have Gamepass, playing however many games I want, for $10 a month. Why wouldn't I want Microsoft to buy Playtonic and fund them fully so they can make an even bigger budget Yooka Laylee or modern Banjo game?

Oh I know why. THIS!!

Huh? Why? Worried they'll make another awesome game?

JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Oh I know why. THIS!!

I know it's not a popular take, but I actually agree. Nuts & Bolts isn't the game any of us wanted at the time, but as a DIY game, I thought it was great. I still think N&B is the best Rare title of the Microsoft era.

CaptainExplosion said:
Dulfite said:

I said Playtonic make it, not RARE, so your argument is invalid.

No it's NOT!! You wanted Playtonic, which is made up of ex-Rare staff, to be bought by Microsoft before they ever make a new Banjo-Kazooie, and you clearly forgot that the last time Rare veterans made a Banjo-Kazooie game for Microsoft it turned INTO A BULLSHIT VEHICLE MAKING GAME THAT SPIT ON IT'S PLATFORMING ROOTS AND KILLED THE FRANCHISE!!!!!

Once again, I don't want the CURRENT RARE OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES (since all caps is the only way you communicate...) to touch Banjo. I want Playtonic who, based on Yooka Laylee, clearly still know how to make that kind of game, to do the job and do it right with funding that only a major publisher like MS or Nintendo can provide.

I never touched the MS/RARE Banjo game as it looked horrible. Current Playtonic has proven themselves with Yooka Laylee.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

Once again, I don't want the CURRENT RARE OR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES (since all caps is the only way you communicate...) to touch Banjo. I want Playtonic who, based on Yooka Laylee, clearly still know how to make that kind of game, to do the job and do it right with funding that only a major publisher like MS or Nintendo can provide.

I never touched the MS/RARE Banjo game as it looked horrible. Current Playtonic has proven themselves with Yooka Laylee.

Hard disagree on Playtonic proving themselves with Yooka Laylee. Impossible Lair has been good thus far, but the original Yooka Laylee was a 6/10 game for me at best and I finished the entire thing. So I don't want Playtonic reviving Banjo since they've lost their touch, but you are right that I trust modern Rare even less.

My ideal choice would be for Nintendo to buy or license the IP from Microsoft. Although remote, it is possible they saw the excitement and energy around his announcement and based on how well his character/amiibo sells they could decide they want to revive the franchise. I'd suggest putting Tokyo EAD on it and specifically using those experienced with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. An odd choice I realize, but Banjo was also best with quirky but dense little worlds rather than large sprawling ones.

A more realistic choice would be Double Fine. They are under Microsoft also so surely they'd have access to the IP if they wanted and their work with Psychonauts shows them capable of quirky games. I do think they could consult with the Playtonic guys on character design and I'd hope they would get Grant Kirkhope back to do the music, but otherwise I think they'd do a good job of respecting the original while putting their own spin on it which is just what you need to bring back a franchise.

Nuts and Bolts was an okay title in my opinion, it wasn't ground breaking like the Nintendo 64 releases... But as a game judged on it's own merits and as a stand-alone entry in the franchise, I thought it was okay and I enjoyed the vehicle building mechanics.

I would be happy with RARE to do another release when they feel ready to do so.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I tried to like Nuts and Bolts, I really did, I stuck with it for hours, but in my personal opinion, there just wasn't a crumb of fun to be found in it.

Even taken on its own merits, spending twenty minutes laboriously building a vehicle only for the subsequent challenge to be unwinnable because of the game's wonky, inconsistent and pedantic physics engine was just frustrating tedium. Even when it worked there was no satisfaction, because even when you built them correctly controlling the vehicles was unsatisfying and annoying.
And taking a series that's always been an exploratory collectathon platformer a la Mario 64 and making it into a gimmicky vehicle builder was in itself a slap in the face.

About the only positive thing I have to say about it is that for a 2008 release it looked great, but graphics only get you so far.

It just made me really sad that a series that had comprised two of my all-time favourite games to that point completely abandoned everything I loved about it.

Ah well, there's always Mario Odyssey I suppose, closest thing we've gotten to a Banjo Threeie that lives up to Kazooie/Tooie.

CaptainExplosion said:
JWeinCom said:

*force feeds JWeinCom gunpowder, gets a clear distance and fire a flaming arrow into JWeinCom*

Such an excellent game. If we want to talk about disappointments...

curl-6 said:
I tried to like Nuts and Bolts, I really did, I stuck with it for hours, but in my personal opinion, there just wasn't a crumb of fun to be found in it.

Even taken on its own merits, spending twenty minutes laboriously building a vehicle only for the subsequent challenge to be unwinnable because of the game's wonky, inconsistent and pedantic physics engine was just frustrating tedium. Even when it worked there was no satisfaction, because even when you built them correctly controlling the vehicles was unsatisfying and annoying.
And taking a series that's always been an exploratory collectathon platformer a la Mario 64 and making it into a gimmicky vehicle builder was in itself a slap in the face.

About the only positive thing I have to say about it is that for a 2008 release it looked great, but graphics only get you so far.

It just made me really sad that a series that had comprised two of my all-time favourite games to that point completely abandoned everything I loved about it.

Ah well, there's always Mario Odyssey I suppose, closest thing we've gotten to a Banjo Threeie that lives up to Kazooie/Tooie.

Maybe you weren't building the vehicles properly then?

The physics definitely take some getting used to, but once you got used to them they work fine. There's only a handful of challenges that ever really felt unfair. And there's always different approaches you can take to each challenge.

In terms of platformers, Rare just kind of never figured out where to go from Banjo Kazooie. Their only ide was to just keep cramming in more and more stuff to the point where they felt bloated. DK64 pulled it off a bit better than Tooie, since you didn't have to Switch characters as often, and switching between them was simpler, but Tooie was a bit of a mess.

Nuts and Bolts wasn't perfect but it was creative and novel. It offers more than simply being a less good version of Banjo Kazooie.

JWeinCom said:
CaptainExplosion said:

*force feeds JWeinCom gunpowder, gets a clear distance and fire a flaming arrow into JWeinCom*

Such an excellent game. If we want to talk about disappointments...

curl-6 said:

Maybe you weren't building the vehicles properly then?

The physics definitely take some getting used to, but once you got used to them they work fine. There's only a handful of challenges that ever really felt unfair. And there's always different approaches you can take to each challenge.

In terms of platformers, Rare just kind of never figured out where to go from Banjo Kazooie. Their only ide was to just keep cramming in more and more stuff to the point where they felt bloated. DK64 pulled it off a bit better than Tooie, since you didn't have to Switch characters as often, and switching between them was simpler, but Tooie was a bit of a mess.

Nuts and Bolts wasn't perfect but it was creative and novel. It offers more than simply being a less good version of Banjo Kazooie.

Like I say, even when built properly, a process which in itself was laborious and unsatisfying, the physics made them a chore to drive. Nothing ever felt smooth and intuitive, or any fun.

Tooie definitely had too much bloat, but at least it had interesting worlds to explore and some awesome bosses and fun multiplayer. All they needed to do for their 360 Banjo game was streamline the formula a bit. Unfortunately, most of the talent left Rare towards the tail end of the N64 era and by the 7th gen all that was left was a husk of their former self.