By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who Should Make A New Banjo-Kazooie?

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Such an excellent game. If we want to talk about disappointments...

Maybe you weren't building the vehicles properly then?

The physics definitely take some getting used to, but once you got used to them they work fine. There's only a handful of challenges that ever really felt unfair. And there's always different approaches you can take to each challenge.

In terms of platformers, Rare just kind of never figured out where to go from Banjo Kazooie. Their only ide was to just keep cramming in more and more stuff to the point where they felt bloated. DK64 pulled it off a bit better than Tooie, since you didn't have to Switch characters as often, and switching between them was simpler, but Tooie was a bit of a mess.

Nuts and Bolts wasn't perfect but it was creative and novel. It offers more than simply being a less good version of Banjo Kazooie.

Like I say, even when built properly, a process which in itself was laborious and unsatisfying, the physics made them a chore to drive. Nothing ever felt smooth and intuitive, or any fun.

Tooie definitely had too much bloat, but at least it had interesting worlds to explore and some awesome bosses and fun multiplayer. All they needed to do for their 360 Banjo game was streamline the formula a bit. Unfortunately, most of the talent left Rare towards the tail end of the N64 era and by the 7th gen all that was left was a husk of their former self.

But, you're assuming they were built properly. I didn't see you playing, so I can't say, but maybe you're bad at making cars.

As for the process, I loved it. So many unique and crazy things you could build. If you don't like building stuff though, then not the game for you.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

Like I say, even when built properly, a process which in itself was laborious and unsatisfying, the physics made them a chore to drive. Nothing ever felt smooth and intuitive, or any fun.

Tooie definitely had too much bloat, but at least it had interesting worlds to explore and some awesome bosses and fun multiplayer. All they needed to do for their 360 Banjo game was streamline the formula a bit. Unfortunately, most of the talent left Rare towards the tail end of the N64 era and by the 7th gen all that was left was a husk of their former self.

But, you're assuming they were built properly. I didn't see you playing, so I can't say, but maybe you're bad at making cars.

As for the process, I loved it. So many unique and crazy things you could build. If you don't like building stuff though, then not the game for you.

They were good enough to win the challenges. I didn't stop playing cos I got stuck, I stopped playing cos as hard as I tried I couldn't glean any fun from it, the whole experience felt like a poorly thought out mess, alternating between irritating fiddly-ness and boring busywork.

I guess we're simply gonna have to agree to disagree.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 October 2020

I think they should start with remakes of the original two games. Toys for Bob seem to be great at that, if they can get Activision to agree.

Otherwise, playtonic.

Toys for Bob, now that's one I hadn't considered. I have not yet had the opportunity to play Crash 4 (please, please let it come to Switch next year...) but from the gameplay I've watched it looks excellent.

If they can recapture the magic of Kazooie and Tooie as well as they seem to have recaptured the magic of the PS1 Crash games, they might indeed be one of my lead choices for a hypothetical Banjo Threeie.

CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

Toys for Bob, now that's one I hadn't considered. I have not yet had the opportunity to play Crash 4 (please, please let it come to Switch next year...) but from the gameplay I've watched it looks excellent.

If they can recapture the magic of Kazooie and Tooie as well as they seem to have recaptured the magic of the PS1 Crash games, they might indeed be one of my lead choices for a hypothetical Banjo Threeie.

It can't be too hard. They've already proven capable of reviving another cartoony platformer from the 90s.

Granted Kazooie/Tooie are very different games from the original Crash trilogy despite both being cartoony mascot platformers, but yeah they seem to have some decent development chops. While not original creations, their work on the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and the Switch version of the Crash N.Sane Trilogy were also excellent.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

Granted Kazooie/Tooie are very different games from the original Crash trilogy despite both being cartoony mascot platformers, but yeah they seem to have some decent development chops. While not original creations, their work on the Spyro Reignited Trilogy and the Switch version of the Crash N.Sane Trilogy were also excellent.

And Spyro Reignited Trilogy was a collect-a-thon platformer revival too, so that proves Toys For Bob are a valid choice for making a new Banjo-Kazooie.

Only thing is they didn't do any actual design work on Spyro Reignited, just a graphical remake. Still, they seem to have capably recreated what made Crash fun, so they should be able to do the same for a collectathon.