By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NBA 2K21 Unskippable Ads

Anti-consumerism continues from certain video game publishing giants. I really hope this doesn't catch on as a trend and gamers vote with their wallets.

Full Gamespot link is below.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nba-2k21-adds-unskippable-ads-despite-being-a-full-price-game/1100-6483436/

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

They have been doing this a while now and I'm starting to blame consumers because they complain but then do nothing to counter it. You know, just don't buy it but they buy it anyway. Why we have loot boxes. MTX. P2W. Bad DLC practices. Maybe stop supporting AAA publisher's bad habits. These corps will always be greedy shits but you can at least not support some things.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Ah yes. That's what that extra $10 is paying for. Unskippable ads.

I demand that they're of the highest quality. 4k 999fps.

Would be cool if ads meant a discount. Best to wait for a price drop.

Honestly Sony/MS should enforce standards here particularly where a game has to confirm this in its pre-order press release and whether they're unakippable

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Terrible practice. Made even worse by the fact that EA recently tried the same shit with UFC but pulled the ads after the backlash. EA tried and failed to do it, very recently no less, yet 2K are still going to try it too?

NBA2K games have been a generally terrible experience for years now, completely indistinguishable from a f2p mobile game. Unskippable advertisements aren't going to be anything new, or shocking to their customers. As a basketball fan myself, it's really a crying shame...it used to be a top quality franchise. Now it's damn near unplayable unless you invest a minimum of 50 bucks or so above entry price, and are willing to put up with being endlessly bombarded by some BS or other.

The real issue is not the ads, its that they would think about or even try to limit the loading of the game so that they ads can play. With SSDs and the new consoles, loading screens should be greatly reduced. Now they have to artificially add time so they can show their ads. Also the practice of waiting a month after the reviews are done to drop the ads into the game shows that they already know how bad a practice this is.

mZuzek said:
Pay $70 to watch ads.

Seems like a good deal.

Comic-con fan?

This is not the future that Tupac died for.

Wow that’s terrible. At a certain point gamers have to vote with their wallets. Like we can’t say micro transactions are bad yet gamers spend record amounts of money on them. We need some damn will power to back up our beliefs.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.