By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite Microsoft exclusive franchise?

What is your favorite franchise under Microsoft tender loving care?

Halo 16 22.54%

The Elder Scrolls 15 21.13%

Gears of War 10 14.08%

Banjo-Kazooie 4 5.63%

Forza 2 2.82%

Fallout 4 5.63%

Minecraft 3 4.23%

Killer Instinct 2 2.82%

Fable 4 5.63%

Other 11 15.49%

Total:71

I forgot about Age of Empires; it's definitely up there as well, the first two games in that series were some of my favourite games growing up, absolute classics.

If Doom is now considered an MS franchise *(is it?) with the purchase of Besthesda that would as frontrunner as well; the original and the 2016 reboot would both make my top 20 games of all time, and II and III were good as well.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 October 2020

Around the Network

Gears. Kinda stumbled with Gears Judgment and Gears 4 but it's been a favorite for over a decade, now. That over the top feel and the sense of camaraderie just can't be beat.

As someone else implied here, Age of Empires is kind of dead nowadays but Age of Empires II is one of my favorite games, so I can't discard it so easily. Gears of War games come close, I love their multiplayer sides.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Back in the day: Age of Empires

Today: Gears

Angelus said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
None of them. Every franchise listed is either long dormant, or over the hill. By over the hill, I mean the best games of these franchises are behind them. Subsequent games in these respective series will either stay the same quality or get worse over time. I expect Forza to stay about the same quality, and the rest of the series to more or less get worse as time goes by. Halo 1-3 and Reach beat Halo 5. Gears 2-3 beat Gears 4-5. Elder Scrolls isn't exclusive, and has been dormant for 9 years. Fallout jumped the shark with 76. Banjo Kazooie hasn't got a mainline collectathon platformer since the N64. Killer Instinct and Fable have both been long dormant.

If MS can successfully resurrect Fable, KI, or Banjo I'll change my tune. By successfully resurrect I mean make a great new game out of these series, not make a game that goes on to score 77 or 63 with critics. I have hope that they will do just that next gen.

Nice of you to acknowledge that Forza will continue to be the highest quality racing franchise in the world for years to come.

That title belongs to Mario Kart.

But as far as boring old regular cars racing goes, I know Forza is one of the best out there. Most people call regular cars racing, a racing sim. Not sure if it's the best racing simulation franchise though, because I'm not into racing sims. I find racing sims as boring as farming simulator 2020, or sports team manager simulator, or watching paint dry simulator. It doesn't help that the Forza Franchise gets a new game almost every single year with what looks to be minimal improvements.

Around the Network

Halo. 

I don't really like the series new titles, but Halo 1 through and including Reach stand as some of my favorite games of all time. I think it's very sad that, in part because of the kind of mass somewhat-toxic audience they drew in originally, and also because of the reception of newer titles, the series is often looked upon as "never having been that good" or being a fad that just helped get us to where we are currently with console shooters and nothing more. Even if the stories usually amounted to popcorn flicks (sometimes bad ones like 3), there were a lot of great themes (2), great use of videogames as a storytelling medium (1 and 2), great level design (3), great art direction and armor/enemy designs (all the games but especially 3, ODST and Reach) and a great OST for all of the Bungie games (even 4 actually had some highlights there). And the way these games brought people together ... like I know that kind of tagline is a meme now but, damn. Forge :ok_hand:

Still one of the best songs in gaming history. 

That being said, Gears of War was also a big part of what made me the gamer :tm: I am today, 3 in particular stands in memory as one of the best games I've ever played. It was also awesome discovering Banjo & Kazooie back in the beginning of this console generation when I didn't have much to play on my 360. Though, I didn't really like much of what I played of Tooie. 

I'm excited to try out Fable when that gets released. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Angelus said:

Nice of you to acknowledge that Forza will continue to be the highest quality racing franchise in the world for years to come.

That title belongs to Mario Kart.

But as far as boring old regular cars racing goes, I know Forza is one of the best out there. Most people call regular cars racing, a racing sim. Not sure if it's the best racing simulation franchise though, because I'm not into racing sims. I find racing sims as boring as farming simulator 2020, or sports team manager simulator, or watching paint dry simulator. It doesn't help that the Forza Franchise gets a new game almost every single year with what looks to be minimal improvements.

Not playing racing sims, but taking it from colleague who's been deeply invested for years in iRacing, games like Forza and GT are considered simcades.

Halo is what brought me to Xbox in 2002 and I still play it till this day. Of course I've grown to love other Xbox franchises too like Gears of War and Fable, and with the Bethesda/other studio acquisitions, things have gotten a lot more interesting for Xbox.

Cerebralbore101 said:
None of them. Every franchise listed is either long dormant, or over the hill. By over the hill, I mean the best games of these franchises are behind them. Subsequent games in these respective series will either stay the same quality or get worse over time. I expect Forza to stay about the same quality, and the rest of the series to more or less get worse as time goes by. Halo 1-3 and Reach beat Halo 5. Gears 2-3 beat Gears 4-5. Elder Scrolls isn't exclusive, and has been dormant for 9 years. Fallout jumped the shark with 76. Banjo Kazooie hasn't got a mainline collectathon platformer since the N64. Killer Instinct and Fable have both been long dormant.

If MS can successfully resurrect Fable, KI, or Banjo I'll change my tune. By successfully resurrect I mean make a great new game out of these series, not make a game that goes on to score 77 or 63 with critics. I have hope that they will do just that next gen.

You know, you could always just keep your opinion to yourself instead of shitting on Xbox every chance you get. This thread is about you're favorite Xbox IP, if you don't have one, don't say anything. 

It's like if someone made a thread about everyone's favorite Kingdom Hearts game, and I said, "None of them, they all suck." It adds nothing to the topic besides my annoying/shitty opinion on something I'm not even interested in. Right now, this is you, but you disguise it by trying to be clever and added a few extra words to make it not come off as trolling, but all you're really say is, they all suck. 

TES>Fallout>Halo essentially.