Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch will be the first system since 2010 to sell 20 million in a Calendar year

Bluetits said:
Sony already confirmed directly that they sold 20.2 M on 2017. It's a fact. I brought this up to Trunks last year as they initially had 20.2M and they adjusted it down even after Sony specifically said 20.2M. So whether the op is using this sites numbers or not, they are still bullshit!

Where is this direct confirmation by Sony that they sold 20.2 million PS4s in the calendar year of 2017?

Because I'm reading differently: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/17q4_supplement.pdf

For the Calendar year 2017:
Q4 - 2.9
Q1 - 3.3
Q2 - 4.2
Q3 - 9.0 

Total = 19.4 million according to Sony.net.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Bluetits said:
Sony already confirmed directly that they sold 20.2 M on 2017. It's a fact. I brought this up to Trunks last year as they initially had 20.2M and they adjusted it down even after Sony specifically said 20.2M. So whether the op is using this sites numbers or not, they are still bullshit!

Where is this direct confirmation by Sony that they sold 20.2 million PS4s in the calendar year of 2017?

Because I'm reading differently: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/17q4_supplement.pdf

For the Calendar year 2017:
Q4 - 2.9
Q1 - 3.3
Q2 - 4.2
Q3 - 9.0 

Total = 19.4 million according to Sony.net.

That's shipments, not sold units to consumers. Sony overshipped the PS4 at the end of 2016, so they had to scale back production a bit in order to sell through their inventory.

Actual sales from January 1 (53.4 million) to December 31 (73.6 million), does indeed show that the PS4 sold 20.2 million units to consumers in the calendar year of 2017.



Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Zones said:
Somehow the entire human population has decided to pretend that the Switch is a home console akin to Xbox and PlayStation consoles, even though you often hear that the Switch's biggest strength is its portability.... I mean can't people see how seriously flawed that categorization is?

Regardless, PS4 actually had a sell-through of 20.2 million units in the year of 2017, so the main premise of this topic itself is incorrect.

https://www.gamepur.com/news/ps4-sold-202-million-units-2017

Nintendo operating profits in 3 years of Switch sales already 80% of total operating profits Sony Playstation division has made in the entire PS4 lifetime sales. 



PAOerfulone said:
Jumpin said:

Where is this direct confirmation by Sony that they sold 20.2 million PS4s in the calendar year of 2017?

Because I'm reading differently: https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/17q4_supplement.pdf

For the Calendar year 2017:
Q4 - 2.9
Q1 - 3.3
Q2 - 4.2
Q3 - 9.0 

Total = 19.4 million according to Sony.net.

That's shipments, not sold units to consumers. Sony overshipped the PS4 at the end of 2016, so they had to scale back production a bit in order to sell through their inventory.

Actual sales from January 1 (53.4 million) to December 31 (73.6 million), does indeed show that the PS4 sold 20.2 million units to consumers in the calendar year of 2017.

I see, that is an estimation, but not confirmed - it's plausible their estimates are inaccurate. I'm going to stick with VGC's estimation for the purposes of this thread; mainly because this is the site we're on, I also trust the accuracy of their estimates (which are updated for corrections once they confirm data),  partially because that's the intended focus of the thread.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Switch should manage 20 million plus in 2021. But it's not happening after that.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

PS4: 130 mil (was 100 million) Xbox One: 55 mil (was 50 mil) Switch: 110 million (was 73, then 96 million)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

Maybe we could just say "The Switch will be the first system since 2009 to sell at least 21 million in a calendar year". Then it's true no matter how you slice it.



When was the last time a system sold over 25 million?



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
When was the last time a system sold over 25 million?

DS - 2009



IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:
When was the last time a system sold over 25 million?

DS - 2009

Cheers, so it'll likely be the highest yearly tally of any system for 11 years regardless.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

DS - 2009

Cheers, so it'll likely be the highest yearly tally of any system for 11 years regardless.

It will be the highest yearly of all time, I'm confident it will beat DS 2008 numbers