By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch will be the first system since 2010 to sell 20 million in a Calendar year

Blood_Tears said:
Sony already confirmed directly that they sold 20.2 M on 2017. It's a fact. I brought this up to Trunks last year as they initially had 20.2M and they adjusted it down even after Sony specifically said 20.2M. So whether the op is using this sites numbers or not, they are still bullshit!

Would it help you if he changed it to say 21m? Because it will surpass that as well.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It will be the highest yearly of all time, I'm confident it will beat DS 2008 numbers

What was DS's highest yearly tally? I found an article saying 31.18 million.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/63675/yearly-nintendo-earnings-hardware-sales

That is shipments during a fiscal year.  (In this case it's the FY ending March 21, 2009.)  VGChartz has the highest calendar year being the DS in 2008 with 29.7m.

Of course, there is 9 months of overlap between those two time periods.  There is also a lot of overlap between the current calendar year and the current FY.  We might be having a very similar discussion around the end of March next year about highest FY of all time.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

What was DS's highest yearly tally? I found an article saying 31.18 million.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/63675/yearly-nintendo-earnings-hardware-sales

That is shipments during a fiscal year.  (In this case it's the FY ending March 21, 2009.)  VGChartz has the highest calendar year being the DS in 2008 with 29.7m.

Of course, there is 9 months of overlap between those two time periods.  There is also a lot of overlap between the current calendar year and the current FY.  We might be having a very similar discussion around the end of March next year about highest FY of all time.

Ah, gotcha, so no system has ever sold 30 million in a calendar year before.

Gosh I so hope Switch does, just cos it'd be so insane to see. I'm expecting more in the 26-28 million range cos of supply limitations, but you never know.