Forums - Sales Discussion - I explain why the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo consoles in general will always exceed the sales of PlayStation in general

Yea thats what i said, ps4 almost never got a pricecut,if it did like 2 years ago @ 199 or even 249 it would sell a lot more.

Also 150mill units is a verry verry VERRY large amount. 

It can easily sell 110-120mill thou.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
YanisFromFrance said:
However, the Switch has a 6 million lead over the PS4 with one Christmas less for the Switch, right?
It is impossible for sales to fall.

Nothing is impossible, you can't know what'll happen in the future. Surely no one imagined Wii sales would decline like they did. Not saying the Switch will fall off a cliff like that, I don't think it will, but it is definitely possible that sales will slow down enough for it to not reach the PS4. With Sony consoles, all of them have had pretty similar sales curves, so it's easier to make a prediction based on those, but Nintendo consoles aren't as consistent. The handhelds are, I suppose, but it remains to be seen if a hybrid console like the Switch can continue selling for years when up against renewed competition. This is pretty much an unprecedented situation in the console market.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Are you back?

The problem with Nintendo consoles is they always track at the start like they gonna set some record. But Nintendo gives up on them early and the sales tank.

Does a Nintendo console have the potential to beat a Sony one? Absolutely
Does Nintendo do everything in it's power to not make it happen? Absolutely

It is hard to argue for Nintendo selling better than a Sony console because of their actions in the past.

I think if the next gen Nintendo Console utilities the Switch concept, adds DLSS 4K and ray tracing support to it, offers smooth 1080p 60fps undocked and actual some damn features on their system lol (switch has less than even the WiiU i'd argue) and they market it well, and keep a steady flow of games and don't kill it too early, will be their best chance.

Around the Network

Sure dude, that's why Playstation got 3 +100M consoles, won 3 generations and got the best selling console ever made. 

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
This thread will be fun to watch, but since playstation fanbase is almost dead in vgchartz this will became a big circlejerk thread

Looks like that didn't happen hey CGW? 

mZuzek said:

Switch hasn't and won't beat PS4.

Dude, WHAT?

mZuzek said:
YanisFromFrance said:
However, the Switch has a 6 million lead over the PS4 with one Christmas less for the Switch, right?
It is impossible for sales to fall.

Nothing is impossible, you can't know what'll happen in the future. Surely no one imagined Wii sales would decline like they did. Not saying the Switch will fall off a cliff like that, I don't think it will, but it is definitely possible that sales will slow down enough for it to not reach the PS4. With Sony consoles, all of them have had pretty similar sales curves, so it's easier to make a prediction based on those, but Nintendo consoles aren't as consistent. The handhelds are, I suppose, but it remains to be seen if a hybrid console like the Switch can continue selling for years when up against renewed competition. This is pretty much an unprecedented situation in the console market.

ok, you have some good points there, hell i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that Switch could MAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE sell less than the PS4, but i mean... that's like, super unlikely.

Just look at facts and current trends. "no one know what's gonna happen with Switch" ok but like it's selling at Wii/NDS level of peak 2008/2009, AND IT HAS SHORTAGES, which mean domand is actually higher than the numbers we are seeing right now.

Of course using some logic someone would expect Switch sales to stay very stong for a while. and considering that this year is pretty much safe to say Switch should end at around 80 million (probabily more than that but i'll make a safe bet), Switch only need another strong year to pretty much be guaranteed to outsell the PS4.

Unless you expect PS4 sales to better than expected and reach something like 140 million but this seem kinda crazy at this point, Sony looks like is giving up with PS4 production and focus on PS5. Even 130 million seem extremely hard.

I mean, again, nothing is impossible but at this point i'd give PS4 <10% chances of winning against Switch, and i'll be extremely surprised if this happen.

EDIT: For the record, i think Switch will do over 150 million... so even with the best scenario for PS4 i'd still predict Switch>PS4

Last edited by Ryng - on 15 October 2020

2020 predictions: NSW 25m, PS5 6m, XSX 4.5m, PS4 9m, XB1 3m

In December 2019 i predicted 21m Switch, but that was before COVID, obvius increased my predictions.

While it's true that ps4 didn't had many price drops. It's been selling with three games for more than two years at the same price. That should count as a pricedrop. Heck that's the reason I got one in the first place.

why the @$#$3% some people here are comparing PS4 vs Switch? The generations for "the big three" are:

Dreamcast vs PS2 Vs Game cube Vs xbox > Ps2 won.
Ps3 vs Wii vs X360 > Wii won.
Ps4 Vs WiiU vs X1 > PS4 won.

You guys need to stop acting like wii U is "inexistent"... just adimit, Ps4 won the generation.

Prediction: In 5 years Nintendo will Lauch a "Core Mario game"  very similar to Astro Bot. That said, many will Ignore Astro Bot existence and say Nintendo created this concept.