Forums - Movies Discussion - Covid-era moviegoing

I miss theaters. My daughter was born October of last year, and we didn't go to any movies near her birth or in the months after when she was really little. Then Covid hit. I used to go to the movies at least once or twice a month, sometimes as often as weekly, and I haven't been to a movie in over a year :(

And I know, this is such a first world problem post. Sorry lol.

Around the Network

Haven't been to a theater since, umm... Endgame, I think? Sure was a while ago. I did go to the theaters several times during that period, though, having gone to Detective Pikachu, Godzilla, and Endgame 3 times in a span of a month or so. Definitely haven't gone this year.

Jaicee said:

I enter the screening room. There's nobody there and nobody comes in. They literally screen the movie just for me. I get kind of teary-eyed somewhere along the line here at just the sight of the empty room. You can't help getting the feeling that you're supporting a dying institution. Although it's precisely the absence of other people that makes me feel perfectly safe to be there, the irony is that the sight always makes me nostalgic for the social experience of theater-going that's just gone now, maybe forever. It's just not there and it makes me sad.

I've been in nearly empty rooms before, it really is a weird experience. Going to the cinema isn't very strongly rooted in Brazilian culture I think, most rooms are usually half empty unless it's a big movie in its first couple of weeks. But still, I don't think I've ever been the one single person on any screening.

It is really sad for the cinemas, yeah. I get how this could be the beginning of the end, surely a lot of them won't be able to survive this, but I do hope that once the pandemic is truly over, they might regain some popularity. Watching movies at the theaters is a wholly different (and better) experience compared to watching them at home, and within the environment of home movies, streaming is the worst.

Don't even wanna imagine a world in which GotG Vol. 3 is released via streaming.

It's weird] that you mention it now because my so rented out a movie theater for my birthday last weekend. There were 15 of us, spaced apart, masks on whenever we got up. We watched The Lost Boys.

Otherwise, we haven't watching movies in their makeshift drive-thru behind the theater. But haven't been to one in months

Moviegoing has sharply dropped here in Luxembourg too. However, they are also on the list of businesses that get helped out by the government, so their financial losses are pretty weak in the end.

At the same time, the concept of drive-in car cinemas had become a thing again last spring and summer, but the audio system was pretty meh for me. You got a code and a hastag on your ticket, and with those, you could go to a website and register, and through that, you got the audio for the movie. But if your car is too old to connect it to your phone to use the audio system of the car or you got a weak low-end car audio, you're stuck with a bad sound device for the movie...

Last movie I saw in theater was Sonic, back in February. I do have theaters that are open in my area, but they're mainly playing older movies, many of which I already own and could watch at home, so I haven't felt any reason to go to a theater.

At the rate things are going, Covid is going to kill theater/cinema. The largest theater chains in the US are all struggling big time right now financially, AMC just said they may be bankrupt by the end of the year, and Regal and another were forced to temporarily close all locations and temporarily layoff all their workers until sometime in 2021, just so they wouldn't go bankrupt. Many movie studios are now talking about having day one digital rentals for $20 or $30 on all movies even after the Covid threat ends, which would deal a major blow the theaters/cinemas, as it is much cheaper to stay at home and rent the digital version than to pay $10 per person plus jacked up concession stand prices, especially if you have a larger family. "The times, they are a changing" as the saying goes. I will miss the old days of theater. Thankfully I still have a drive-in theater in my area, a non-profit one ran by volunteers, so I will still be able to watch new movies there even if my local indoor theaters close down in the future.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 October 2020

Around the Network
axumblade said:

It's weird] that you mention it now because my so rented out a movie theater for my birthday last weekend. There were 15 of us, spaced apart, masks on whenever we got up. We watched The Lost Boys.

Otherwise, we haven't watching movies in their makeshift drive-thru behind the theater. But haven't been to one in months

You can do that? Wow! That's a pretty cool birthday present!

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
axumblade said:

Everything is possible with the power of money.

Ka-pi96 said:
axumblade said:

Yeah. Due to social distancing, some theaters are even making it a little cheaper since they can't seat as many people as usual and are trying to get whatever they can. 

There's a premium AMC by my place that I used to frequent. Only covid era movie I've seen so far is Tenet, but I might see Kid Detective this weekend if I have time (gives me Brick vibes). Definitely slower there but not to the extreme that you described. There were a handful of people in the seats when I saw Tenet. I may be the only one for such a smaller release, though. I don't think it's inherently bad that the film industry is going digital, but I will miss the theater experience if they become a permanently endangered species.

I traveled to New Jersey from New York just to watch Tenet. Worth it.

I love seeing movies in a theater. I hope they survive and come back stronger than ever.

Hell I am in film school right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.