By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should I Buy a Switch Pro Controller?

Tagged games:

Should I Buy a Switch Pro Controller?

Yes 22 75.86%

No 4 13.79%

Buy a Cheaper 3rd Party Controller 3 10.34%

Total:29

The feel of using the Pro controller is just so much better than using the Joycons. If i'm ever playing solo on the Switch docked I will always go for the Pro controller.

Around the Network

Llove the Pro. I have 2. Xenoblade and regular. No issues at all.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The thing I like the most from the Pro controller are the chunky buttons.

The thing I dislike the most from the Pro controller is the D-pad.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I bought a Breath of the Wild Hori controller ages ago when it was on sale. Matches all the other rubbish which is Zelda themed that I have. (Carry bag, carry case, headphones and earphones, game cart carry case, LED dock etc'.)

Does the job. No drift yet. Was like $49 AUD down from $79 AUD.
Regular Pro controller is $99 AUD, so half the price when on sale.

No rumble or built in battery, which I am happy with.
Stays at home when I travel though, I tend to prefer it over the joycons, plus keeps the wear and tear of the joycons down.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The battery life is fantastic. The controller is more comfortable than the JoyCons. Go for it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

My 2 cents. The main down side for me for the joycons is the lack of a proper d-pad. 2D games are...less than stellar...on the joycons. So for me, the main reason to get a controller is for better handling in games that benefit from a dpad. Is that controller the pro controller? I dunno. It's awful expensive. I'm a fan of the 8bitdo SN30 Pro and Pro+. Those controllers are native to the Switch (and PC, and Android), and they have glorious dpads.

If you don't play a lot of dpad centric games, I honestly don't see much of a need for a new controller. Unless you really find joycons uncomfortable. If joycon drift is an issue for you (it's never been for me), then yeah, I guess a new controller should also help that. But definitely look into 8bitdo's line of controllers first. They're a bit cheaper, but not lacking in quality.

I haven't used my joycons in 3 years since I got the pro controller. The battery life is incredible, and it works wonderful for most games...a little awkward on Mario Galaxy.

rapsuperstar31 said:
I haven't used my joycons in 3 years since I got the pro controller. The battery life is incredible, and it works wonderful for most games...a little awkward on Mario Galaxy.

I play docked 99% and it's pro controller all the way. But even in the train, I prefer my pro controller. 

Personally, I never felt the need for one.

I play 100% in docked mode, and the Joycons work just fine for me; I like the option to have them split and sit with my hands further apart for relaxed gaming, or use the grip for something like Doom 2016.