By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should I Buy a Switch Pro Controller?

Tagged games:

Should I Buy a Switch Pro Controller?

Yes 22 75.86%

No 4 13.79%

Buy a Cheaper 3rd Party Controller 3 10.34%

Total:29

I've been debating buying a Pro Controller since I bought my Switch. In your opinion is it really worth the money?

I have had my Switch for over a year now. The Joycons were defective out of the box and I had to send them in for a free replacement. Ever since then I have not had any issues with them. I mostly play my Switch docked and used the Joycon cradle that came with the system. Occasionally I play it in portable mode when I just want to unwind and don't want to be bothered switching my HDMI cables. I have never taken my Switch outside and have no immediate plans to do so.

The reasons why I am hesitant to buy it is because A) It's expensive. B) I don't have anyone to play local multiplayer with. C) I am trying to avoid clutter in my living space.

Here are the games I have:

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe- Finished NSMBU. Still playing New Super Luigi U casually.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild- Defeated Ganon and completed all main quests. Only finished about 40 shrines. Not sure if I will go back to this.

Bayonetta 2- Finished Bayonetta. Have not started Bayonetta 2. Playing with this Joycon controller was not great.

Super Mario Odyssey- Beat Bowser. Got maybe 250 or so Moons. Lots more Moons to collect, may return to this someday.

Super Mario 3D All Stars- Have not opened. The only game I haven't played in the collection is Sunshine. Might play it in 2022.

Ace Attorney HD Trilogy- Barely started. Will probably only play in portable mode.

Here are the Switch games I plan on buying in the future:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

The Word Ends With You Final Remix

Super Mario 3D World

Do any of these games benefit from the Pro Controller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

Love my Pro Controller. Great battery life, great feel, vibration, feels like it has some heft and I'm not going to break it. And most importantly, it doesn't drift. There is also a great charging dock that you can rest the Pro Controller and an extra pair of joy cons in so it doesn't seem cluttered. Power A does make some great controllers as wel, but they are light weight, don't have rumble, and can't do NFC.

Yes, definitely! There are certain games (Hollow Knight, for example) that I don't think I could have ever beaten without a pro controller.

I only notice my pro being really good when playing Splatoon, otherwise I don't see any difference. I suppose people who enjoy other shooters like Overwatch or Fortinite may think the same, but you only listed Action-adventures and Platformers

With the joycons you can use motion controls plus play undocked; In your position I would never buy the pro before the joycons, if your joycons are fine then you can buy pro

d21lewis said:
Yes, definitely! There are certain games (Hollow Knight, for example) that I don't think I could have ever beaten without a pro controller.

HK was surprisingly fine for me, controls are really good and stable and  the  Knight stops exactly where you want him to stop. Ori was much worse, physics of this game were an oddity and any smallest sign of drift would kill you and make you restart from a very distant save point

Around the Network

I would say still say yes. Perhaps it is just me but I have been through several Pro Controllers. I end up with Drift in the left stick. I currently have 3 of them but I traded at least 3 back into Walmart after a relatively short amount of time. Nintendo consoles and controllers used to feel like they last forever (exception of the analog on the N64), and I have been super disappointed in Nintendo's quality this gen especially considering the premium price they have placed on their controllers. My joycons are good (almost never used except when playing Odyssey ) but both sets on the kids switches have the drift issues.

It does boast a really good battery life just like the WiiU's Pro.

I love my Pro. I even use it when I'm undocked on the go. I purchased two of them so I would always have one charged. I think I only used the Joy-cons once on day 1.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Unless you're playing like competitive games, the regular joycons are probably fine. The pro controller is more comfortable, so it's a matter of how much you're willing to pay for that.

Yes, you should. 100%

If you are gonna use it, buy it, if not, don't buy it.

Alternatively, wait until Black Friday where it will go on sale.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850