By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

nm

Last edited by sales2099 - on 11 October 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
sales2099 said:

Again just because causals don’t care doesn’t mean we enthusiasts shouldn’t care either. Also, think of the children!!! Lol

People who didn’t grow up with these gems who can now play what we played all those years ago. Your history analogy falls flat because you can’t bring back the dead. But you can make gaming generations BC and forever play classics for the first time, if the company puts the effort into it. 

How do you know that casuals don't care?  Look how well the Switch has already outsold the Xbox One lifetime sales while outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One in recent sales.  One could reasonably attest that the Switch backward compatibility was one of the driving factors while the Xbox One backward compatibility was not.  It's reasonable.  Then you factor in that the PS4 has virtually no backward compatibility which logically in turn paints a more accurate picture of the Xbox One backward compatibility effectiveness or lack there of.  So I'm I calling the Switch a casual console?  No.  But using YOUR logic and the previously reasonable stated points, the Switch is more hardcore than the Xbox.  Remember, I'm not claiming that.  I'm using your logic in conjunction with FACTS.  And you talk about fallacy?  Well, it appears that it certainly applies to your attempt of an argument as now shown to all whether you care to acknowledge it or not.  Especially when you attempt these tactics:

And there are hardcores/enthusiasts who while appreciate the choice of backwards compatibility, may not have that option/feature high on their list of priorities such as..... you?  Part of your problem is that you're painting such an assumed broad stroke that you think applies to the preconceived groups you've already self-established. And I've never faulted anyone for having a console preference.  But it's "enthusiasts" such as yourself that have taken such a narrow view that when the bigger picture is presented (to include Nintendo) your argument so... falls... apart.

Look, backwards compatibility was never a massive system seller. Never has, never will be, apart from a minor bump from enthusiasts. It’s just nice to have just in case. Also Nintendo is a special case with their 1st party being games that Sony or MS can never replicate. Using them in a PS vs Xbox argument is shaky.

But I digress, if I made the case that BC is a essential system seller then I take that back. What it is good for is preserving our games, having the option to access them, and carry them forward (just like smart phone data and PC games). 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
LivingMetal said:

How do you know that casuals don't care?  Look how well the Switch has already outsold the Xbox One lifetime sales while outselling both the PS4 and Xbox One in recent sales.  One could reasonably attest that the Switch backward compatibility was one of the driving factors while the Xbox One backward compatibility was not.  It's reasonable.  Then you factor in that the PS4 has virtually no backward compatibility which logically in turn paints a more accurate picture of the Xbox One backward compatibility effectiveness or lack there of.  So I'm I calling the Switch a casual console?  No.  But using YOUR logic and the previously reasonable stated points, the Switch is more hardcore than the Xbox.  Remember, I'm not claiming that.  I'm using your logic in conjunction with FACTS.  And you talk about fallacy?  Well, it appears that it certainly applies to your attempt of an argument as now shown to all whether you care to acknowledge it or not.  Especially when you attempt these tactics:

And there are hardcores/enthusiasts who while appreciate the choice of backwards compatibility, may not have that option/feature high on their list of priorities such as..... you?  Part of your problem is that you're painting such an assumed broad stroke that you think applies to the preconceived groups you've already self-established. And I've never faulted anyone for having a console preference.  But it's "enthusiasts" such as yourself that have taken such a narrow view that when the bigger picture is presented (to include Nintendo) your argument so... falls... apart.

Look, backwards compatibility was never a massive system seller. Never has, never will be, apart from a minor bump from enthusiasts. It’s just nice to have just in case. Also Nintendo is a special case with their 1st party being games that Sony or MS can never replicate. Using them in a PS vs Xbox argument is shaky.

But I digress, if I made the case that BC is a essential system seller then I take that back. What it is good for is preserving our games, having the option to access them, and carry them forward (just like smart phone data and PC games). 

Really have no idea why BC has become such a huge talking point this year. How many people honestly go back and beat games they already beat? I game a lot and I've only gone back to beat about 5-7 games in my entire life that's 25+ years of gaming. Don't get me wrong I do want BC but it's not some system seller to me.

SvennoJ said:

Plus you really need a CRT tv to enjoy PS1 and PS2 games. They weren't made for LCD panels.

But I enjoyed PS2 games on my PS3 and PS1 games on my PSP + Vita... did I do something wrong?

method114 said:
sales2099 said:

Really have no idea why BC has become such a huge talking point this year. How many people honestly go back and beat games they already beat? I game a lot and I've only gone back to beat about 5-7 games in my entire life that's 25+ years of gaming. Don't get me wrong I do want BC but it's not some system seller to me.

Like I said it’s niche. But it’s nice to have the option, in case you missed any over the years. It’s not about replaying so much as playing games you missed.

This year alone I played Alan Wake, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2, Army of Two, Sonic Generations, Doom 64, Banjo Kazooie, Conker. Plan to play Oblivion and even OG Xbox Morrowind once I get my Series X. Now and again I play gems like Dead Space 2 because I’ll never play a game quite like that again. 

I know I’m the minority here, but I’m glad I was finally able to cross these games off my backlog. I think it’s a talking point because up until recently, gamers just get comfortable with the idea of a new gen means closing the book on the past. And it shouldn’t have to be like that. 

Around the Network
Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

Plus you really need a CRT tv to enjoy PS1 and PS2 games. They weren't made for LCD panels.

But I enjoyed PS2 games on my PS3 and PS1 games on my PSP + Vita... did I do something wrong?

Nothing wrong, you can enjoy the Mona Lisa countless ways, but there's only one original in the Louvre.

As a collector of movies I don't want pull down filters, artificial HDR, sharpening, cleaning, color correction and what not. Of course it's not practically possible to watch the real thing on 35mm at home. With games you can get the experience it was made for. The difference between a ps3 remaster on 1080p LED and using my ps2 on my old 34" CRT is immense.

It's odd. Emulation always aimed to get as close to the real thing as possible. However BC nowadays seems to be about increasing resolution, doubling fps and adding HDR. To me it makes the games look unbalanced, making the things that don't translate well stand out. I wonder how well PSVR games hold up with BC. Will they look sharper and if they do will it expose things like LOD transitions and lower res assets.

Libara said:
Runa216 said:

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

The last few weeks your insecurities have really been showing.

Insecurity? hah! what do I have to be insecure about? PS4 and Switch are doing phenomenally, the two companies I root for are kicking the ass of the competition! 

I dislike Microsoft because they keep fucking up and are doing nothing to turn their fortunes around. They keep making promises, but I've yet to see any of them pay off. They are a company with a VERY distinct identity and don't diversify...yet. The only games on Xbox I care about are Ori, Cuphead, Rare Replay, and Sunset Overdrive. Both Ori games and Cuphead are on Switch, and Cuphead is also on PS4. all other new exclusives are also on PC. I think that's kinda lame, and not good for console development. Microsoft have great strategies as a third party developer or publisher, not a console manufacturer.

I've explained myself using both subjective opinions on the matter and objective facts about Microsoft, but I'm the bad guy because I think they're doing poorly...despite the numbers supporting that assessment. I am not insecure, I'm tired of seeing bad logic being used to defend a company that keeps fucking up.

LivingMetal said:
sales2099 said:

Again just because causals don’t care doesn’t mean we enthusiasts shouldn’t care either. Also, think of the children!!! Lol

People who didn’t grow up with these gems who can now play what we played all those years ago. Your history analogy falls flat because you can’t bring back the dead. But you can make gaming generations BC and forever play classics for the first time, if the company puts the effort into it. 

Just is.

Have a Blessed night.

Been trying to discuss this sort of crap with them with their poor logic and fallacies and confusing subjectivity with objectivity and their disconnect with reality for ages. did it so much I got banned from the Microsoft forum. SOME fans can't handle reality. 

I love the WiiU but I accept that it failed. I thought the Vita was amazing but it failed just as hard. I'm not dying on a hill for those consoles no matter how much I love it. I felt both had great features and options, but clearly those features didn't resonate with audiences enough to overcome the shortcomings. My personal taste in games and my personal values on what is and is not good does not make a difference when it comes to facts. That's where I differ with Xbox One fans.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

sales2099 said:
LivingMetal said:

Whoa, Whoa. Hold up. Hasn't like 50% of your arguments with me been about how important Backwards Compatibility is and how both it and GamePass are going to be game-changers for the gaming industry and Microsoft in particular? Why are you suddenly not pushing that narrative now? I mean, I've been saying that Backwards Compatible is nice but not a selling factor to the average player. I personally like it, but it's not a dealbreaker. I've been saying that for months now and I've been harassed and argued with and vilified, but...it seems you agree with me but just don't like it when I use that same logic against Microsoft. 

There's a word for that. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

That's spectacular news!
I'm pretty excited about what the next gen consoles can do with my current library. Glad I went 100% digital. It would be awesome if we could have a primary PS4 AND a primary PS5--with cloud saves that easily transfer between both.

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Whoa, Whoa. Hold up. Hasn't like 50% of your arguments with me been about how important Backwards Compatibility is and how both it and GamePass are going to be game-changers for the gaming industry and Microsoft in particular? Why are you suddenly not pushing that narrative now? I mean, I've been saying that Backwards Compatible is nice but not a selling factor to the average player. I personally like it, but it's not a dealbreaker. I've been saying that for months now and I've been harassed and argued with and vilified, but...it seems you agree with me but just don't like it when I use that same logic against Microsoft. 

There's a word for that. 

Did...you just imply I think Game Pass and BC are equally important? Lol I never said that. Playing day 1 first party games and ultimately paying hundreds less to play more games then you isn’t the same as a niche feature to preserve your library. BC is important to me, doesn’t mean it’s a system seller on its own. It’s more like the cherry on top.

Doesn’t mean it should be neglected.