By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

Darwinianevolution said:
So it has full physical BC, or just the compatible games?

the disc version can play all discs but the 10 mentioned as well as all digital games but the 10 mentioned. the digital only can't play discs but can play digital games. Really straightforward. All Ps4 games but 10 listed (none of which are likely to upset you) are able to be played on PS5 day one. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Just how I see it. One company goes 2 generations further back then the other. The reasoning you gave doesn’t change the results. Imo the 360/PS3 gen was one of the best. And for certain games I’ve still not yet tried or for millions of teenagers getting into gaming recently, they will benefit from the availability.

I said my piece briefly but you called me out so here you go. 

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

This post was a joke...but upon hearing that the Xbox Series X wouldn't support all games from the Xbox, 360, and One, I did some calculations. 

I can't find any confirmation or denial on what Xbox One games will be going forward, so I searched and found that, in total, 2594 games were released on the Xbox One. For the sake of argument, let's pretend that 100% of those games are going to be available. 

Further searching led me to believe that 564 Xbox 360 games and 39 Xbox Original games are going to be carrying over. 

that's 2,594 + 564 + 39 = 3,197 games total. 

Compare this to the 'more than 4,000' games announced for the PS4's library on PS5 and...hah! I made a joke that was deliberately outlandish and crazy to make a point, and it actually ended up being true. 

There will be more games on Ps5 at launch than Xbox Series X, in spite of the fact that the Xbox Series X takes from 4 generations and PS5 takes from 2. So yeah, I said there was no way to prove that the above statement was in any way correct but damn, at least from a quantity perspective it's actually true! This isn't exclusives, so it's still kind of an outside argument but it's still funny to think about. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Sony tried to make an ultimate BC console with the PS3. It was too costly so they kept in the PS1 compatibility to ensure fans had some form of BC. If PS5 had PS1 compatibility, that would be confusing and honestly unnecessary. What is there not to understand btw? PlayStation and Nintendo software legacy is MILES ahead of Xbox. If they were to make let's say a PS1-4 backwards compatible and N64-WiiU backwards compatible console, they would have every right to sell those super consoles for $1000+ easy.

hinch said:
mZuzek said:

I know things aren't as simple as this, but I find it funny that the best PlayStation emulator on PC is the one Sony can't emulate on their own hardware.

Yeah it can emulate them on RPCS3. Though only a portion of games work and thats with years of work (think 9 years). And even then the performance just isn't there even with the highest end CPU's bruteforcing it. A lot of games would also need patches to get good performance. So, its not worth it for Sony :P

Still not a legitimate argument.

The Cell processor is actually comparatively simple compared to 8x Zen cores in the next-gen consoles and the Cell is orders-of-magnitude slower... It's just those Zen cores will be easier to work with as it's been built on top of decades worth of understanding and improvements with x86, the tools, pipelines, documention etc' have been built for it.

Besides, the Playstation 3 emulator is still head and shoulders better than the Xbox 360 emulator and they both started development around the same time.
And there is a simple reason for that... Each Cell SPU/SPE can be translated to an individual x86 CPU core as each SPE is pretty much a "dumb core" so getting good performance out of PS3 emulation is proving to be much simpler than say... PS2 emulation was.

Sony is also in a far better position to make a high-performing, high-compatible emulator as it has the low-level documentation to emulate the ISA, PC-emulators tend to work by "guessing" and "reverse engineering" with lots of translation/cutting/interpreting of instructions.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Runa216 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So it has full physical BC, or just the compatible games?

the disc version can play all discs but the 10 mentioned as well as all digital games but the 10 mentioned. the digital only can't play discs but can play digital games. Really straightforward. All Ps4 games but 10 listed (none of which are likely to upset you) are able to be played on PS5 day one. 

Why those ten specifically? They don't seem to have anything in common.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Cant wait to replay some games at 60 fps like ff15 for example.

Well, FF15 is locked at 30 fps. My understanding is that only games with an uncapped frame rate will be able to reach 60+ FPS. The capped ones will require a patch, I assume. 

Darwinianevolution said:
Runa216 said:

As it's pretty much impossible to fully test the whole game catalogue for new bugs due to BC, I'd wager the 10 listed games simply produce fatal errors during game boot. Others might show problems aswell, but I guess Sony atleast did a bit more indepth testing for the most popular titles to make sure it's good enough in atleast one of the BC modes (PS4 / PS4pro / PS5).

Darwinianevolution said:
Runa216 said:

No idea. Probably licensing fees or unexpected errors, as Lafiel has said. They haven't said why those 10 aren't available. I don't think it matters much. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

No idea. Probably licensing fees or unexpected errors, as Lafiel has said. They haven't said why those 10 aren't available. I don't think it matters much. 

The thing is, we know that ten don't work, for now. Maybe some other obscure titles don't work either because noone thought of trying them beforehand. To be fair, it's not a big deal in the great scheme of things, just curious about the problem, I'm glad they are bringing physical BC after so long.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Kristof81 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Cant wait to replay some games at 60 fps like ff15 for example.

Well, FF15 is locked at 30 fps. My understanding is that only games with an uncapped frame rate will be able to reach 60+ FPS. The capped ones will require a patch, I assume. 

It was locked at 30fps on release only. Since then SE released a patch for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X to uncap it. That's why vids were shown last week of Series X running it at 60 fps. So PS5 will likely be the same.