By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

Otter said:
Tridrakious said:
I'm a collector of video games and I still don't understand the stance of not supporting backwards compatibility. The PS5 should have all generations supported on it.

BC is a big investment that sony just hasn't prioritised. Their stance isn't anti BC, unfortunately there's not just a switch they can press to get that up and running.

PS3 emulators run pretty horribly, presumably because of the cell processor. It took MS years to get to their current support of like 25% of 360 games,  and it is multitudes easier to emulate. I don't think the PS4 could emulate the PS3 even if sony wanted it to. Going back even further, only like 6% of OG Xbox games are compatible with current Xbox hardware

When you look at the reality in numbers, its clear anyone who really cares about BC really just needs to hold onto those older consoles (or just an OG PS3 and 360 which are pretty cheap to find). Its a nice cherry on the top for new consoles to support some of your 15 year old games of course and offer improvements too.

Playstation 3 emulation on PC is better than Xbox 360.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Flayer said:
Nice but how many can transfer saves to ps5?

Everyone with PS+ ? I expect "cross-save" between PS4 + PS5 for almost all PS4-games.

Automatic syncing between devices is no problem since PS3 + Vita.

The same goes for automatic syncing on Xbox (plus PC for Play-Anywhere titles). I thought my 360-savegames were lost when my Xbox 360 RROD'ed without Xbox Live Gold in 2013. But when I bought an Xbox One two years later I reconnected the RROD-360 for a last time and got it to run for an hour with the "towel trick"... enough time to upload my whole 360-save games (and a few xbox-original savegames) into the cloud, which are automatically downloaded on my XBO or XBO X when I start one of these games. Awesome!

Only Nintendo makes that unnecessary complicated. With automatic sync between Switch and Switch lite (or any combination of Switch devices), I would have more than one Switch by now.

Last edited by Conina - on 11 October 2020

Conina said:
LurkerJ said:
All the generation defining games from the HD twins era (lol), how few they may be, were remastered or ported to the PS4 anyway, except for Demon's Souls... oh wait

Metal Gear Solid 4? inFamous 1 + 2? Heavenly Sword? Puppeteer? Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction? ICO HD? Sly 4?

• Heavenly sword: a joke of a hack and slash game, the only reason it was popular was the lack of PS3 exclusives so PS fans were desperate to hype it up. Wouldn't care for it. 
  • Puppeteer: was an instant buy for me, couldn't be more charming. Unfortunately, being that unchallenging made me drop it half through. Wouldn't care for it, and judging by how hard it flopped, few would miss it. 
  • Infamous: not a fan, but unlike the two games above, I wouldn't hold it against those who want to play it on the PS5. 
  • ICO HD: a cheap cash grab, hardly looked any better than the original
  • Ratchet & Clank: not a fan, but I understand the game is consistently great for its fans, so fair enough 
  • Sly 4: never tried 
  • MGS4: fair enough 

Only reminds how the 7th generation was such a turn off...

My personal opinions aside though, I think your tiny list supports my statement further. Dedicating an entire team to make these games playable on the PS5, which you could count on one hand and most of which aren't generation defining anyway, is not worth it. It's better to invest that kind of effort in remaking games, Demons Soul-style. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 11 October 2020

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Just how I see it. One company goes 2 generations further back then the other. The reasoning you gave doesn’t change the results. Imo the 360/PS3 gen was one of the best. And for certain games I’ve still not yet tried or for millions of teenagers getting into gaming recently, they will benefit from the availability.

I said my piece briefly but you called me out so here you go. 

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

You're not exaggerating.

Having mostly skipped the HD twins of the 8th generation, and currently thinking of buying either a PS5/Xbox S, I can confidently say God Of War (I was never a fan of the original God of War, but this one seems to have to revolutionize the series), Ghost of Tsushima , the Last Guardian, TLOU2, Bloodborne & Demon Souls are heavily swaying me towards the PS5. 

This is amazing, I already own TLOU2 and GoT, but havent played either for more than and hours or two, cant wait to play them day one on PS5. Luckily im still plodding through Days Gone, should last me until Nov 19th. Exciting times.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
Runa216 said:

yeah, but Sony's PS4 alone is stronger of a lineup than the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined, at least in terms of exclusives. I mean, that might be an exaggeration (it is, that statement is nowhere near provably true), but if you can pretend everything Xbox does is perfect and completely ignore any of its many faults or shortcomings, I can damn well pretend that the Ps4's library is better than the last three gens combined on Xbox. From an objective stance, that's an absolutely absurd statement...

...but from a subjective stance, I can honestly say I think I've spent more time just on Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank than I have on Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One combined. The original Xbox was nothing but a halo box (LAN parties were genuinely awesome), the Xbox 360 stayed on the shelf collecting dust because I was always worried it would Red Ring (Despite me having more 360 games than PS2 games), and me literally spending more time to update the firmware on the Xbox One than playing games on it since of the 5 games it had that interested me, 3 of them came out on Switch (Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps and Cuphead). 

We all have our preferences, right? Some of us certainly are laser focused on a handful of games, and others develop tonnes of loyalty after literal decades of built-up goodwill. 

You're not exaggerating.

Having mostly skipped the HD twins of the 8th generation, and currently thinking of buying either a PS5/Xbox S, I can confidently say God Of War (I was never a fan of the original God of War, but this one seems to have to revolutionize the series), Ghost of Tsushima , the Last Guardian, TLOU2, Bloodborne & Demon Souls are heavily swaying me towards the PS5. 

Hey dont forget Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn, they are awesome. Spiderman is meant to be amaze balls too.

Flayer said:
Nice but how many can transfer saves to ps5?

ALL BC titles will be able to use PS4 saves on PS5.

PS4 titles that are upgraded to be PS5 titles might not be able to use the PS4 saves.

BC and ugrades are different things.

Last edited by Lafiel - on 11 October 2020

LurkerJ said:

Cheap cash grab? High praise from both critics and gamers, an improvement from 224p without any aliasing to 1080p MLAA with consistent 30 fps.

And Shadow of the Colossus also got a huge resolution boost plus stable 30 fps instead of jittery 15 - 30 fps on PS2.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-collection

"Base resolution for Ico is a rather low 512x224 (going up to 512x256 in PAL mode, with a frame-rate reduction to 25FPS)"

"Ico also runs at three different resolutions, depending on how the PlayStation 3's XMB is set. Go for the default standard 720p and you get the expected 1280x720 framebuffer, with MLAA implementation - a good choice for a game like Ico. With Display Settings at 1080p, Ico delights with a native full HD framebuffer, again with MLAA applied - making it the first full 1920x1080 title we've seen to be running the computationally expensive post-process, providing a wonderfully crisp, eye-pleasing image."

Conina said:
LurkerJ said:

Cheap cash grab? High praise from both critics and gamers, an improvement from 224p without any aliasing to 1080p MLAA with consistent 30 fps.

And Shadow of the Colossus also got a huge resolution boost plus stable 30 fps instead of jittery 15 - 30 fps on PS2.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ico-shadow-of-the-colossus-hd-collection

"Base resolution for Ico is a rather low 512x224 (going up to 512x256 in PAL mode, with a frame-rate reduction to 25FPS)"

"Ico also runs at three different resolutions, depending on how the PlayStation 3's XMB is set. Go for the default standard 720p and you get the expected 1280x720 framebuffer, with MLAA implementation - a good choice for a game like Ico. With Display Settings at 1080p, Ico delights with a native full HD framebuffer, again with MLAA applied - making it the first full 1920x1080 title we've seen to be running the computationally expensive post-process, providing a wonderfully crisp, eye-pleasing image."

Unfortunately it suffers from very low res backgrounds. The foreground looks great, background is still the old pre-rendered low res backdrops. I really hope ICO gets a remake like Shadow of the Colossus. It would be awesome with crip far views and HDR. The ps3 version looks very uneven due to the mix in remastered and low res assets.

Tridrakious said:
I'm a collector of video games and I still don't understand the stance of not supporting backwards compatibility. The PS5 should have all generations supported on it.

If you're a collector, why not collect the systems to go with the games?
Plus you really need a CRT tv to enjoy PS1 and PS2 games. They weren't made for LCD panels.