By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 4000+ games backwards compatible Day 1. PSN library carries over to PS5

SvennoJ said:
Tridrakious said:
I'm a collector of video games and I still don't understand the stance of not supporting backwards compatibility. The PS5 should have all generations supported on it.

If you're a collector, why not collect the systems to go with the games?
Plus you really need a CRT tv to enjoy PS1 and PS2 games. They weren't made for LCD panels.

I do have the systems, but it's a pain in the ass to move all that shit around all the time. I enjoy playing games of all generations, but the thought of having to rearrange every system and handle cable management for them, just give me a system that does all of it.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
SvennoJ said:

Plus you really need a CRT tv to enjoy PS1 and PS2 games. They weren't made for LCD panels.

I do have the systems, but it's a pain in the ass to move all that shit around all the time. I enjoy playing games of all generations, but the thought of having to rearrange every system and handle cable management for them, just give me a system that does all of it.

in a similar vein...I have PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, Super Nintendo, Wii, WiiU, Switch, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One available to me right now - as in they're all hooked up - but I'm not playing most of them. I play Ps4 games and Switch games, because any time I go back to anything earlier than that I'm just reminded how much better the PS4 and Switch are than the PS3 and WiiU. It's not that these games are bad, but they're just not as convenient. 

I'd rather play PS1-3 Remakes like Spyro and Crash than the originals any day. I'm more excited for Demon's Souls Remastered than any other PS5 launch title despite having a working PS3 and copy of the original game. I would rather play The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on switch than my original SNES any day. I get the appeal of retro gaming, but I'm sorry, modern conveniences make it better. I'd rather play remakes than go back to the old games, which is why I don't utilize Backwards compatibility despite how it's a perfect match for my lifestyle. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Tridrakious said:
SvennoJ said:

Makes sense. I have the wii and ps2 hooked up to my old 34" CRT in the basement. PS3 sits next to the PS4. 360 is connected to my old projector. WiiU is connected to the bedroom tv for Netflix. But yep, Gamecube is stored away since the Wii plays that, and my ps4 is already claimed by my kids once I get a ps5. The Switch is wherever my kids left it, grrr. It will be empty again anyway when I find it. Pls Nintendo bring out a console version I can bolt into the tv!

I left all the older stuff behind when I moved from Pal to NTSC land in 2002. I bought a new ps2 and the games again since the Pal stuff simply wouldn't work back then. I was more into PC games back then anyway, that of course had no issues.

SvennoJ said:
Tridrakious said:

Makes sense. I have the wii and ps2 hooked up to my old 34" CRT in the basement. PS3 sits next to the PS4. 360 is connected to my old projector. WiiU is connected to the bedroom tv for Netflix. But yep, Gamecube is stored away since the Wii plays that, and my ps4 is already claimed by my kids once I get a ps5. The Switch is wherever my kids left it, grrr. It will be empty again anyway when I find it. Pls Nintendo bring out a console version I can bolt into the tv!

I left all the older stuff behind when I moved from Pal to NTSC land in 2002. I bought a new ps2 and the games again since the Pal stuff simply wouldn't work back then. I was more into PC games back then anyway, that of course had no issues.

Sounds like you and I have very similar setups around the house. I have one room dedicated to my most common gaming stuff and retro consoles, then the living room has a similar set plus the Xbox One and WiiU. 

My game room has a CRT screen hooked up to a Super Nintendo, and on top of it my 40" HDTV with everything else. I have, hooked up to the HD screen, my PS2 (Which plays PS1 and PS2 games), my PS3, my PS4, my Gamecube, my Wii, My Switch dock, and my Xbox 360. That covers mostly everything. but downstrairs, we have My Xbox One, my WiiU, and my Roommate's PS4 and Switch Dock. 

The plan, since my brother owes me a Switch Dock, is to put the PS5 on the main screen with an external drive to emulate the PS4, puy my second dock in the living room, and to put my roommate's Switch Dock and PS4 in her bedroom in the basement. That way we have Switch and PS4 access on all three levels of he house (upstairs, downstairs, main floor), a PS5 in the Living Room, and everyhing else where it already is. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android