By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Tests Positive for Coronavirus

FarleyMcFirefly said:
Hiku said:

📢

There's a difference between attacking a celebrity, and attacking a forum member.
The celebrity will never read your comment here. But the forum members you tell to burn in hell will. So we take the latter more seriously.

Some people consider Trump responsible for thousands of avoidable deaths. (Whether you agree or not.) But no one thinks any forum member is responsible for any such atrocities.

So please keep this in mind.

Celebrities are people too. We shouldn't be hating anybody. Hate begets hate. It starts with a forum post, but what does it end with? We have to take a middle road here: If Trump is responsible, are the state governors not also responsible? Are the local governments not also responsible? 

No he hasn't handled this pandemic perfectly, but if we blame him for everything wrong, then we should also praise him for everything good that has happened in the last 4 years. It's just not reasonable. 

We have a responsibility as mods to make sure members feel comfortable posting here. We have no such obligation to celebrities. Doesn't mean anything goes, but our policies don't match your view on morality. Not saying you're wrong, but we disagree.

As for local governments, they are responsible to the extent that they employed bad policy. For my local government's part, I feel that my governor was very transparent and followed the recommendations of scientists at the time. I don't agree with every decision, but I feel that every decision he made was with the intent of doing what he thought was best based on available knowledge at the time. 

I've given a pretty good list of indefensible decisions Trump has made. I'm not going to hold him responsible for everything that happens, but when he does things like hold large rallies with no social distancing, or tells a reporter wearing a mask to take it off and then accuses him of wearing it "to be politically correct", then those are things he is directly responsible for. 

FarleyMcFirefly said:
JWeinCom said:

Got to disagree on many points here...

The people who are spewing hate are no better than the man they claim is evil.

I don't think hating something in and of itself is bad. Some people deserve hatred. 

I never put unqualified son in law in a position of authority in dealing with a pandemic when he had zero qualifications. Nor did I contradict my public health experts as recently as three days ago regarding best practices to avoid spreading a plague. I also didn't go to a fundraising event and take no precautions despite knowing that it was very likely someone I was in close contact with had a deadly disease. I didn't go on record discussing how dangerous a disease was and then tell the public something different. Never ran a fraudulent university. Never grabbed a woman by the pussy without her consent or bragged about doing so. Never encouraged violence against people protesting me at a rally. Never lost a lawsuit for discriminating against black applicants to buildings I owned. Never tried to make it more difficult for people to vote during a pandemic or promoted conspiracy theories that had been denounced by my FBI director. Never attacked someone by bringing up their child's struggles with drug addiction. Never attacked a political rival's wife. Never publicly shamed a woman for gaining weight. Never lied about Muslims having huge celebrations on 9/11. Never mocked a disabled reporter. Never mocked a political rival for coming down with pneumonia. Never attacked political rivals solely based on their country of origin. Never said that someone wasn't a war hero because they were tortured in a pow camp. I never suggested that a recently deceased Congressmen might be in hell. 

So... I dunno. I sort of don't think hating Trump makes me as bad as him. I think you'll have a lot of trouble backing that up.

I honestly do not believe Trump is this all evil person that everyone claims he is; if he was this evil dictator, there would be mass censorship on his end, people wouldn't have the freedom to protest or even say the disgusting things about him that they do. On the reverse, he is obviously not perfect. I wish he could be more blunt but have bedside manner at the same time (it is possible).

Simply not true. Trump really has no way to silence people on a massive scale because our system has protections against that. He's certainly called for many critics to be fired, called for boycotts of brands that spoke against him, and tried to use an executive order to prevent Twitter from disputing things he claims to be facts. 

Trump is not a dictator, but he really couldn't be because of the institutions of our nation and the checks on presidential power. I can't say how far he'd go if he did have absolute power, but then neither can you. 

How someone can place the Covid deaths on Trump just doesn't make sense to me in the slightest. The whole world was slow to act. The whole world has been affected. If you want a group to blame, there are at least 2 that come before Trump: The Communist Party of China for lying to the world, followed by the World Health Organization who echoed those lies, which lead to the world's slow response.

See above. We know Trump lied constantly about the threat, argued against his own expert's opinions, put unqualified people in charge of the response, and directly participated in events with an utter disregard for whether they were safe even AFTER knowing he was in contact with someone who had the virus. 

There's plenty of blame to go around, but Trump's actions give more than enough reason to hate him.

If you truly think Trump is evil, fighting back with hatred will only create more hatred. Never has evil been ever to triumph over evil.

Well, we really hated nazis. We hated them so much that started killing them. Like, not even when they came here, we hated them enough to travel across the ocean to kill them. That's some world class hatred. And, while our actions weren't perfect, I think that hatred ultimately served the world really well. 

No, hate in and of itself is bad. It is okay to be angry. It is okay to be frustrated. But to hate? That is when we start to lose our humanity. 
You can look at it that Trump lied, but you can also look at it that Trump truly did not want to panic people. I mean, I was panicking and made a stupid thread back when this thing started. Going crazy over toilet paper. Imagine if Trump panicked everybody? People tend to do stupid things when they panic, when they are overly emotional, when they are filled with hate. 

Try taking a middle road. Yes, there is true evil in this world. Yes, Nazism was evil. 
But violence is only acceptable under one condition: self defense. That is what I believe. That is what I believe the military is for. 

First off, nobody is advocating violence. Anyone who did would be moderated. 

Secondly half of the examples were ignored... but w/e...

As for the "he didn't want to panic people", no absolute bullshit.

I will just grant for argument's sake that being honest would have scared people. I'll even grant that telling people "listen to the scientists and wear a mask" would have been too much for America to handle back in March.

Five fucking days ago, Trump downplayed the value of masks, and lied about Dr. Fauci's position on it. Would telling people five days ago "one of my leading experts says we should all wear masks" have sent the county spiraling into chaos? Give me a break. 

And then, after sharing a plane ride with someone who was symptomatic, he still decided to attend a fundraiser where he took no precautions to social distance or observe other safety precautions. This was a private event. Would cancelling it have caused mass panic? Would spacing people 6 feet apart or wearing masks have caused the country to fall apart? Obviously not. 

Dunno if you're trying, very poorly, to support Trump or if you just genuinely want to see the good in people, but no. He knowingly exposed people to a deadly virus. And it wasn't to avoid causing a panic, it was because it was a fundraising event and he wanted funds.

And Trump has no concern at all about making people panic. He wants you to panic about the rapists coming in from Mexico, he wants you to panic about non-existent voter fraud, he wants you to panic about the evil liberals, he wants you to panic about non-existent Muslims celebrating on September 11th, and Hillary Clinton coming to take all your guns away.  Half of his campaign speeches are telling you about shit to be scared of.

Hatred is natural and can be a healthy motivator. People should hate Donald Trump for his abysmal job handling this crisis, which was clearly for the purpose of doing what he thought was best for him. And I hope that hatred will drive people to the polls or mailboxes to get him out of office.

Around the Network

I have often been critical of Trump, both on domestic policy and foreign policy, and I would've been able to sympathize with him if it hadn't for his actions and comments over the last couple of months. What I am saying is I don't care if he gets better, I don't want him to die, but hopefully this will give him some perspective on what it's like, not what it is like to lose a loved one, but on how serious this virus is. Though I seriously doubt it.

JWeinCom said:

FarleyMcFirefly said:

Celebrities are people too. We shouldn't be hating anybody. Hate begets hate. It starts with a forum post, but what does it end with? We have to take a middle road here: If Trump is responsible, are the state governors not also responsible? Are the local governments not also responsible? 

No he hasn't handled this pandemic perfectly, but if we blame him for everything wrong, then we should also praise him for everything good that has happened in the last 4 years. It's just not reasonable. 

We have a responsibility as mods to make sure members feel comfortable posting here. We have no such obligation to celebrities. Doesn't mean anything goes, but our policies don't match your view on morality. Not saying you're wrong, but we disagree.

As for local governments, they are responsible to the extent that they employed bad policy. For my local government's part, I feel that my governor was very transparent and followed the recommendations of scientists at the time. I don't agree with every decision, but I feel that every decision he made was with the intent of doing what he thought was best based on available knowledge at the time. 

I've given a pretty good list of indefensible decisions Trump has made. I'm not going to hold him responsible for everything that happens, but when he does things like hold large rallies with no social distancing, or tells a reporter wearing a mask to take it off and then accuses him of wearing it "to be politically correct", then those are things he is directly responsible for. 

FarleyMcFirefly said:

No, hate in and of itself is bad. It is okay to be angry. It is okay to be frustrated. But to hate? That is when we start to lose our humanity. 
You can look at it that Trump lied, but you can also look at it that Trump truly did not want to panic people. I mean, I was panicking and made a stupid thread back when this thing started. Going crazy over toilet paper. Imagine if Trump panicked everybody? People tend to do stupid things when they panic, when they are overly emotional, when they are filled with hate. 

Try taking a middle road. Yes, there is true evil in this world. Yes, Nazism was evil. 
But violence is only acceptable under one condition: self defense. That is what I believe. That is what I believe the military is for. 

I will just grant for argument's sake that being honest would have scared people. I'll even grant that telling people "listen to the scientists and wear a mask" would have been too much for America to handle back in March.

Five fucking days ago, Trump downplayed the value of masks, and lied about Dr. Fauci's position on it. Would telling people five days ago "one of my leading experts says we should all wear masks" have sent the county spiraling into chaos? Give me a break. 

And then, after sharing a plane ride with someone who was symptomatic, he still decided to attend a fundraiser where he took no precautions to social distance or observe other safety precautions. This was a private event. Would cancelling it have caused mass panic? Would spacing people 6 feet apart or wearing masks have caused the country to fall apart? Obviously not. 

Dunno if you're trying, very poorly, to support Trump or if you just genuinely want to see the good in people, but no. He knowingly exposed people to a deadly virus. And it wasn't to avoid causing a panic, it was because it was a fundraising event and he wanted funds.

And Trump has no concern at all about making people panic. He wants you to panic about the rapists coming in from Mexico, he wants you to panic about non-existent voter fraud, he wants you to panic about the evil liberals, he wants you to panic about non-existent Muslims celebrating on September 11th, and Hillary Clinton coming to take all your guns away.  Half of his campaign speeches are telling you about shit to be scared of.

Hatred is natural and can be a healthy motivator. People should hate Donald Trump for his abysmal job handling this crisis, which was clearly for the purpose of doing what he thought was best for him. And I hope that hatred will drive people to the polls or mailboxes to get him out of office.

I don't support either side in this when all is said and done. So even if it is naive, I am just trying to see the good in people. I am trying to see things from both sides. I am just curious, from where are you getting your news from? Because according to the left: Trump supports white supremacy and violence, inciting the Proud Boys to violence, and the only way to stop this madness is to get him out of office. According to the right: the democrats want no law inforcement, they will not denounce riots from BLM and Antifa. There has been hatred and violence on both sides. I don't think Trump is a nice person but I don't think he is an evil person. I think the media smears him and people believe it. Both sides are trying to cause panic (in different ways) to ensure their victory in the election. 

Were the numbers not originally 2 million Americans for this year? I'm just trying to understand. We do not have all of the facts. We still do not really know much about this disease, as if we did, it would be under control and we would have a vaccine. From my perspective as a neighbour, I saw the left smear Trump as xenophobic when he closed off China. It is like a lose lose situation. Anything that he would have done would have been scrutinized in one way or another. 

I hate death. Death is the reason why I am crippled by anxiety. Any death is too many from this disease. But I believe that it would have happened with any other president. I just cannot understand placing blame solely on him and never recognizing anything good that he has done. What about his historic peace deals? Are they not important because of the pandemic?  

Honestly, I am just trying to get all sides, but I cannot agree with either. People are too extreme one way or another and aren't going to change their minds. Hatred isn't a healthy motivator. Anger is. You can have righteous anger. You cannot have righteous hatred. When you hate one side, or one person, and you put out that hate. How will that heal tensions?  How will that bring about positive change? It won't. 

1doesnotsimply

FarleyMcFirefly said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't support either side in this when all is said and done. So even if it is naive, I am just trying to see the good in people. I am trying to see things from both sides. I am just curious, from where are you getting your news from? Because according to the left: Trump supports white supremacy and violence, inciting the Proud Boys to violence, and the only way to stop this madness is to get him out of office. According to the right: the democrats want no law inforcement, they will not denounce riots from BLM and Antifa. There has been hatred and violence on both sides. I don't think Trump is a nice person but I don't think he is an evil person. I think the media smears him and people believe it. Both sides are trying to cause panic (in different ways) to ensure their victory in the election. 

Were the numbers not originally 2 million Americans for this year? I'm just trying to understand. We do not have all of the facts. We still do not really know much about this disease, as if we did, it would be under control and we would have a vaccine. From my perspective as a neighbour, I saw the left smear Trump as xenophobic when he closed off China. It is like a lose lose situation. Anything that he would have done would have been scrutinized in one way or another. 

I hate death. Death is the reason why I am crippled by anxiety. Any death is too many from this disease. But I believe that it would have happened with any other president. I just cannot understand placing blame solely on him and never recognizing anything good that he has done. What about his historic peace deals? Are they not important because of the pandemic?  

Honestly, I am just trying to get all sides, but I cannot agree with either. People are too extreme one way or another and aren't going to change their minds. Hatred isn't a healthy motivator. Anger is. You can have righteous anger. You cannot have righteous hatred. When you hate one side, or one person, and you put out that hate. How will that heal tensions?  How will that bring about positive change? It won't. 

I gotta admit this is very frustrating. Because I'm giving concrete examples and you're instantly shifting to something else. I'm bringing up clear examples of where Trump objectively did fucked up things and you're saying "well what about this thing that was only maybe fucked up"?

And I don't see what point you're trying to make there. I don't automatically object to everything Trump does, which is why I didn't mention everything Trump does to justify my hatred. I'm giving concrete examples of terrible things he has objectively done. And there are enough of those to justify hatred without reaching into the other questionable things he's done. 

So, let's stick to these two examples if you will.

1. At the debate with Biden, Trump downplayed the effectiveness of mask, implied that Dr. Fauci had mixed feelings about masks, and that there are many scientists who disagree that masks are effective. When Joe Biden said masks could save thousands of lives, Trump said that Fauci disagreed.

Meanwhile, every scientist that is part of the administration has said differently. The director of the CDC said that masks are "“the most important, powerful public health tool we have... I might even go so far as to say that this face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against Covid than when I take a Covid vaccine.” Meanwhile Dr. Fauci said “Anybody who has been listening to me over the last several months knows that a conversation does not go by where I do not strongly recommend that people wear masks.”

The scientists that work for him are unequivocal in their support for masks saying that they will save lives. Trump is actively undermining them and discouraging what they say is the most effective way to save lives. How the fuck is that justifiable?

2. Trump, knowing there's a freaking pandemic, after being exposed to someone who is showing symptoms of the pandemic, went to a fundraiser taking no precautions to prevent the spread of the disease which he most definitely had at that point. He showed a total and utter disregard for anyone he might come in contact with. How the fuck is that justifiable? 

Any other president would have encouraged people to wear a mask. In fact all three living presidents did just that. George Bush put out a great message encouraging Americans to unite and encouraging them to follow basic safety advice. https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/05/03/george-w-bush-coronavirus-message-partisanship-vpx.cnn Trump called the virus a democratic hoax and called wearing a mask "political correctness".

This isn't about Democrat vs Republican or right vs left. This is about every person with any expertise in the matter telling us how to save lives and one fucking moron ignoring them and encouraging others to do the same. If you think Trump actively discouraging mask wearing did not lead to more deaths, then you're arguing with the director of the CDC, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer, the FDA, and the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious diseases.  Listening to health experts in a public health crisis is not an extreme position but one lowlife piece of shit has made it that way, and he deserves hatred and condemnation. That you're trying to justify that behavior is mind boggling.

Again, I've already explained how hate improves things. It drives us to take action against those things that we hate. While you're trying to excuse someone for telling people not to follow life saving medical advice, those who hate Trump will vote him out and encourage others to do so. 

P.S. If Trump brokered any historic peace deals, I'll give him credit. As someone who studied the history of the Arab Israeli Conflict, I'm pretty sure you're not talking about the UAE Israeli agreement. Those two countries had never been on opposite sides of an armed conflict and have been cooperating for the past decade to combat Iran's Nuclear Program. Bahrain and Israel likewise had never had any kind of armed conflict and had private diplomatic relations since about 2007. There have been literally 0 deaths resulting from the conflicts between the UAE, Bahrain, and Israel, nor was their any conflict brewing as they all perceive Iran as their greatest threat. Hardly seems historic.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 04 October 2020

After watching all these press conferences and the media leaks...

VIP syndrome. Trump may even be (have been) okay-ish but his germophobia and controlling behavior might worsen his condition if they haven't done so already, considering he apparently suffered significant side effects from an experimental treatment and wants to be discharged early from the hospital. And that's not to mention his nervous breakdowns.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

After watching all these press conferences and the media leaks...

VIP syndrome. Trump may even be (have been) okay-ish but his germophobia and controlling behavior might worsen his condition if they haven't done so already, considering he apparently suffered significant side effects from an experimental treatment and wants to be discharged early from the hospital. And that's not to mention his nervous breakdowns.

Nervous breakdowns? That is not a good sign for someones mental health.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

FarleyMcFirefly said:
JWeinCom said:

I often find myself with very similar opinions to this and strangely enough also met with often hostile responses. I'd just say that you are not alone.

For me, what you are saying resonates and I 100% agree.

Just thought id put it out there.

I am also in no way a Trump supporter, but some of the reactions to him and more importantly his fans is quite sickening. People seem to be under this false narrative that they can fight Trump by hating him. It didn't work out well the last time and it probably wont work out well this time either. Dude is most likely going to president again because of that hatred mentality. I find that ignorance a bit disappointing and ultimately a bit sad especially as someone that identifies as "leftist" or whatever that is these days.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I often find myself with very similar opinions to this and strangely enough also met with often hostile responses. I'd just say that you are not alone.

For me, what you are saying resonates and I 100% agree.

Just thought id put it out there.

I am also in no way a Trump supporter, but some of the reactions to him and more importantly his fans is quite sickening. People seem to be under this false narrative that they can fight Trump by hating him. It didn't work out well the last time and it probably wont work out well this time either. Dude is most likely going to president again because of that hatred mentality. I find that ignorance a bit disappointing and ultimately a bit sad especially as someone that identifies as "leftist" or whatever that is these days.

If people are going to vote for Trump just because other people hate him, then they are voting for really irrational reasons, and there's probably not much that could have been done to reach them in any event.

Hiku said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Celebrities are people too. We shouldn't be hating anybody. Hate begets hate. It starts with a forum post, but what does it end with?

It's not that anything goes against public figures, but there's more leeway there. We draw the line closer when it's attacks on members that they can read.

We have to take a middle road here: If Trump is responsible, are the state governors not also responsible? Are the local governments not also responsible? 

Of course, local government are also responsible.
When it comes to Trump, I don't think people are blaming him for everything wrong. Only the things he lied about, the information he withheld (see Woodward's report), the misinformation he spread, anti-mask rhetoric, cutting down/disbanding pandemic prevention/response programs in 2018 and 2019, etc.

And when it comes to the subject of death it can be hard to find positive comparisons.

Even when local government did act, Trump's administration did everything they could to undermine the efforts of local government when he didn't agree with them, i.e. when he saw a threat to the economy that could bite him in the butt in November. 

Ultimately a pandemic is a national crisis that demands a national response. Not a bunch of piecemeal responses interspersed with indifference. The virus doesn't care about state or county lines. Trump should have been front and center. Instead, he wanted to play both sides against the middle for his own gain.

In the United States, the buck stops at the President's desk. Or at least it used to. This president has been incompetent and useless at best, and outright malicious at worst. The ultimate responsibility for this mess belongs to him. He has failed.

CaptainExplosion said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
So this piece of shit knew he was infected and was doing meetups to get campaign funds? Family didnt want a mask on debate, he is such a fucking disgusting pig...

And yet he of all people is getting adequate treatment for the virus? There really is no justice in America. -_-

Taxpayer funded too.