By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Tests Positive for Coronavirus

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

If people are going to vote for Trump just because other people hate him, then they are voting for really irrational reasons, and there's probably not much that could have been done to reach them in any event.

Same as the people who say they're voting for Biden solely because they hate Trump and want him out. That's just as irrational. Like you said though, there's not much you can do for anyone who operates this way.

Except in this case, Trump is the incumbent President. At this point, voters have had four years to evaluate his performance, and a lot of people have found his governing ability to be severely wanting in the first term, to say the least. So for those people who deeply despise Trump and what he has done, or not done, during his first term as President, it is not at all irrational to want to fire him and turn the Presidency over to somebody who will hopefully not screw things up even worse. Trump had his chance. Biden, on the other hand, has yet to serve in office. 

There is also a difference between voting for a candidate because you don't like the other guy, and voting for a candidate because you don't like the members of your community, state, or country who don't support your guy and you hope that your guy will pass laws and policies that will harm them.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 05 October 2020

Around the Network

Nothing can stop the Trump Train. Not even the chinese virus.

TRUMP 2020

SanAndreasX said:
EricHiggin said:

Same as the people who say they're voting for Biden solely because they hate Trump and want him out. That's just as irrational. Like you said though, there's not much you can do for anyone who operates this way.

Except in this case, Trump is the incumbent President. At this point, voters have had four years to evaluate his performance, and a lot of people have found his governing ability to be severely wanting in the first term, to say the least. So for those people who deeply despise Trump and what he has done, or not done, during his first term as President, it is not at all irrational to want to fire him and turn the Presidency over to somebody who will hopefully not screw things up even worse. Trump had his chance. Biden, on the other hand, has yet to serve in office. 

There is also a difference between voting for a candidate because you don't like the other guy, and voting for a candidate because you don't like the members of your community, state, or country who don't support your guy and you hope that your guy will pass laws and policies that will harm them.

Eh... gotta push back on "Biden has yet to serve in office".

He hasn't been president but he's been in the Senate for quite a long time, and the Vice President for 8 years. Obviously that's not the same level of power, but enough to judge his merits. I personally think he comes out a lot better than Trump. That being said... There are very few people I would not support over Trump. 

And people will call that bias, but I wouldn't really say that about any former republican President or nominee. I think it would be a little hard to justify Bush in 2004 because the invasion of Iraq was such a shit show, but it had bipartisan support, so it's hard to claim Bush was completely irrational about it. At least 77 people across both parties saw the evidence and reached the same conclusion.

McCain seemed like a genuinely good guy. My only real non-policy objection to him was in his picking Sarah Palin as his running mate. I don't think she's a bad person, but she seemed woefully unqualified, and that shows poor judgment.

Mitt Romney was also fine. His economic policies seem to have some logic behind them on their surface. Honestly 1994 Romney is what the party should be. He supported open gay military service, a woman's right to choose, teaching evolution, anti-discrimination bills, and so on. Basically what conservative actually should mean, fiscally conservative, without the regressive social policies. Unfortunately once he rose to the point of nominee, he'd caved and added those things to his platform. Unfortunately his policy of caving has continued in his choice to push forward a nominee. But, he at least is one of the few republicans to usually call out Trump.

None of those candidates got the same amount of backlash as Trump. People want to act like the hatred of Trump is arbitrary and the left just automatically hates the right, but the right candidates have never been hated, or at least not to this extent (Bush comes closest). So, maybe it's actually because of the shit that Trump does and says. 

SanAndreasX said:
EricHiggin said:

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

No, it's not the same at all.

On the one hand you're voting for the alternative because you hate a candidate and presumably hate the other less.

On the other hand, you're voting for a candidate because other people hate him, regardless of what you actually think about either candidate.

The first situation is like being at a table with 10 people and being offered a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite. You're dying of thirst and have to drink one. You hate Dr. Pepper, and don't hate Sprite as much, so you choose Sprite.

The second situation is like being at a table with 10 people and being offered a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite. You're dying of thirst and have to drink one. The other 9 people at the table all start yelling about how Dr. Pepper is the most disgusting beverage ever. Because of that you drink the Dr. Pepper regardless of which drink you actually think is better.

The first is rational, the second is not.

Those candidates are there on behalf of the people, for the people.

If Trump supporters were constantly voicing that they wished death to Biden, would you assume those people and Trump have good intentions no matter how great his platform and optics seemed? Would you want their choice leading the country for all? Would the media ignore it because it's just irrational nonsense, or would they focus on it bigly because it would be a major concern?

EricHiggin said:
SanAndreasX said:

JWeinCom said:

No, it's not the same at all.

On the one hand you're voting for the alternative because you hate a candidate and presumably hate the other less.

On the other hand, you're voting for a candidate because other people hate him, regardless of what you actually think about either candidate.

The first situation is like being at a table with 10 people and being offered a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite. You're dying of thirst and have to drink one. You hate Dr. Pepper, and don't hate Sprite as much, so you choose Sprite.

The second situation is like being at a table with 10 people and being offered a Dr. Pepper or a Sprite. You're dying of thirst and have to drink one. The other 9 people at the table all start yelling about how Dr. Pepper is the most disgusting beverage ever. Because of that you drink the Dr. Pepper regardless of which drink you actually think is better.

The first is rational, the second is not.

If Trump supporters were constantly voicing that they wished death to Biden, would you assume those people and Trump have good intentions no matter how great his platform and optics seemed? Would you want their choice leading the country for all? Would the media ignore it because it's just irrational nonsense, or would they focus on it bigly because it would be a major concern?

Personally, I wouldn't care at all, in regards to the election.

There are a ton of right wing people who celebrated the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I'm sure 99% of them will be voting Trump.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/09/christian-extremists-celebrating-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-death/

Trump did nothing to encourage this, and was actually fairly respectful in his comments.

So, I don't hold Trump accountable for those people, and am not considering them at all in my decision on who to vote for. Should I?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

There are a ton of right wing people who celebrated the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I'm sure 99% of them will be voting Trump.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2020/09/christian-extremists-celebrating-ruth-bader-ginsburgs-death/

Trump did nothing to encourage this, and was actually fairly respectful in his comments.

So, I don't hold Trump accountable for those people, and am not considering them at all in my decision on who to vote for. Should I?

Extremists are gunna extreme. It's unfortunate but both sides gotta deal with it. Trumps response was legit. Short and sweet but legit. Praising RBG death is beyond distasteful and certainly shameful.

Everything needs to be taken into account. It may be such a small percentage to you personally that you don't care, but it should count to some degree.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/04/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-alternate-reality/index.html

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

Extremists are gunna extreme. It's unfortunate but both sides gotta deal with it. Trumps response was legit. Short and sweet but legit. Praising RBG death is beyond distasteful and certainly shameful.

Everything needs to be taken into account. It may be such a small percentage to you personally that you don't care, but it should count to some degree.

I'm not going to blame Trump for things he has no control over. 

When his supporters don't wear masks because he downplays them, he's contributing to that, and he should be blamed, and in my opinion, hated for it. But I don't see anything he's done that would encourage his supporters to celebrate RBG's death, so I can't blame him for that.

JWeinCom said:
EricHiggin said:

I'm not going to blame Trump for things he has no control over. 

When his supporters don't wear masks because he downplays them, he's contributing to that, and he should be blamed, and in my opinion, hated for it. But I don't see anything he's done that would encourage his supporters to celebrate RBG's death, so I can't blame him for that.

Trump had little control over how covid spread from China. Could he really have kept it out of America? Could he really have without a doubt, halved the deaths? If he had, would that have been good enough? What number would be reasonable? Something we can never know for sure and something that really doesn't have certain answers because even 25,000 deaths would've been considered too much because one is said to be too much.

What about his supporters who do wear masks? How many do vs how many don't? How many with masks unfortunately spread it anyway? 

Well you could argue Pence based on his religious beliefs, who Trump picked to be his VP. Some say it always goes up to Trump because he's Prez so again, it would matter to some degree in that case.

Shinobi-san said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I don't support either side in this when all is said and done. So even if it is naive, I am just trying to see the good in people. I am trying to see things from both sides. I am just curious, from where are you getting your news from? Because according to the left: Trump supports white supremacy and violence, inciting the Proud Boys to violence, and the only way to stop this madness is to get him out of office. According to the right: the democrats want no law inforcement, they will not denounce riots from BLM and Antifa. There has been hatred and violence on both sides. I don't think Trump is a nice person but I don't think he is an evil person. I think the media smears him and people believe it. Both sides are trying to cause panic (in different ways) to ensure their victory in the election. 

Were the numbers not originally 2 million Americans for this year? I'm just trying to understand. We do not have all of the facts. We still do not really know much about this disease, as if we did, it would be under control and we would have a vaccine. From my perspective as a neighbour, I saw the left smear Trump as xenophobic when he closed off China. It is like a lose lose situation. Anything that he would have done would have been scrutinized in one way or another. 

I hate death. Death is the reason why I am crippled by anxiety. Any death is too many from this disease. But I believe that it would have happened with any other president. I just cannot understand placing blame solely on him and never recognizing anything good that he has done. What about his historic peace deals? Are they not important because of the pandemic?  

Honestly, I am just trying to get all sides, but I cannot agree with either. People are too extreme one way or another and aren't going to change their minds. Hatred isn't a healthy motivator. Anger is. You can have righteous anger. You cannot have righteous hatred. When you hate one side, or one person, and you put out that hate. How will that heal tensions?  How will that bring about positive change? It won't. 

I often find myself with very similar opinions to this and strangely enough also met with often hostile responses. I'd just say that you are not alone.

For me, what you are saying resonates and I 100% agree.

Just thought id put it out there.

I am also in no way a Trump supporter, but some of the reactions to him and more importantly his fans is quite sickening. People seem to be under this false narrative that they can fight Trump by hating him. It didn't work out well the last time and it probably wont work out well this time either. Dude is most likely going to president again because of that hatred mentality. I find that ignorance a bit disappointing and ultimately a bit sad especially as someone that identifies as "leftist" or whatever that is these days.

Thanks for sayin that :) Feels better knowing that!

1doesnotsimply