By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump Tests Positive for Coronavirus

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not going to blame Trump for things he has no control over. 

When his supporters don't wear masks because he downplays them, he's contributing to that, and he should be blamed, and in my opinion, hated for it. But I don't see anything he's done that would encourage his supporters to celebrate RBG's death, so I can't blame him for that.

Trump had little control over how covid spread from China. Could he really have kept it out of America? Could he really have without a doubt, halved the deaths? If he had, would that have been good enough? What number would be reasonable? Something we can never know for sure and something that really doesn't have certain answers because even 25,000 deaths would've been considered too much because one is said to be too much.

What about his supporters who do wear masks? How many do vs how many don't? How many with masks unfortunately spread it anyway? 

Well you could argue Pence based on his religious beliefs, who Trump picked to be his VP. Some say it always goes up to Trump because he's Prez so again, it would matter to some degree in that case.

I find this post interesting.

JWeinCom states that Trump has contributed to the damage done by coronavirus through his downplaying of masks. In response, you immediately start talking about China (irrelevant), whether he could have really kept it out of America (also irrelevant), whether he could have halved the deaths (also irrelevant) and other irrelevant ponderings. It is interesting that you would respond to such a specific allegation with so many irrelevant hypotheticals which even you acknowledge have no answer.

Then, when you get to masks, you ask some rather bizarre questions. Exactly what are you getting at when you say "what about his supporters who do wear masks"? I agree. What about them? Same with your last question. Why are people wearing masks who still spread the disease relevant, unless you are insisting that masks don't make people safer? If you are making that point, why broach it in the form of an untargeted hypothetical instead of as an argument? Why do these questions matter here?

If we look at the data on mask wearing, we see a strong and consistent partisan divide. I think you would be fooling yourself if you didn't believe that Trump in some way has contributed to this phenomenon. As such, there should be no real question about whether Trump's continued downplaying masks contributed to some amount of suffering and death among the American people. 

This post feels like smoke screening to me. Just throwing out as many untargeted points as you can, distracting those you are speaking with from the real point, without ever really engaging with what the person you are responding to said. 

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

When his supporters don't wear masks because he downplays them, he's contributing to that, and he should be blamed, and in my opinion, hated for it. But I don't see anything he's done that would encourage his supporters to celebrate RBG's death, so I can't blame him for that.

Trump had little control over how covid spread from China. Could he really have kept it out of America? Could he really have without a doubt, halved the deaths? If he had, would that have been good enough? What number would be reasonable? Something we can never know for sure and something that really doesn't have certain answers because even 25,000 deaths would've been considered too much because one is said to be too much.

What about his supporters who do wear masks? How many do vs how many don't? How many with masks unfortunately spread it anyway? 

Well you could argue Pence based on his religious beliefs, who Trump picked to be his VP. Some say it always goes up to Trump because he's Prez so again, it would matter to some degree in that case.

Again, I blame Trump based on his actions. I don't think I have ever said that every single death related to Covid is his fault. Nor did claim to know how many deaths could have been prevented if he followed what the health experts say. I think people more qualified than me should study that, and Trump should be accountable based on their findings.

Trump's mask wearing supporters are like his RBG hating supporters. I don't give him the blame for his supporters doing bad things if he hasn't encouraged it. Likewise, I don't give Trump credit for them showing basic common sense and decency unless he's somehow encouraged that.

What I do know is that health experts have consistently said that masks are a hugely effective tool to fight the spread of the virus, and Trump has frequently contradicted them. He put people who are not qualified in control of the handling of the virus, pushed for promoting ineffective treatment, put out misinformation on the virus, etc. Beyond that, he has personally exposed people directly through his rallies, and by continuing to see people after he had been exposed.

I'm not blaming Trump for everything, just for the things he's done.

sundin13 said:
EricHiggin said:

I find this post interesting.

JWeinCom states that Trump has contributed to the damage done by coronavirus through his downplaying of masks. In response, you immediately start talking about China (irrelevant), whether he could have really kept it out of America (also irrelevant), whether he could have halved the deaths (also irrelevant) and other irrelevant ponderings. It is interesting that you would respond to such a specific allegation with so many irrelevant hypotheticals which even you acknowledge have no answer.

Then, when you get to masks, you ask some rather bizarre questions. Exactly what are you getting at when you say "what about his supporters who do wear masks"? I agree. What about them? Same with your last question. Why are people wearing masks who still spread the disease relevant, unless you are insisting that masks don't make people safer? If you are making that point, why broach it in the form of an untargeted hypothetical instead of as an argument? Why do these questions matter here?

If we look at the data on mask wearing, we see a strong and consistent partisan divide. I think you would be fooling yourself if you didn't believe that Trump in some way has contributed to this phenomenon. As such, there should be no real question about whether Trump's continued downplaying masks contributed to some amount of suffering and death among the American people. 

This post feels like smoke screening to me. Just throwing out as many untargeted points as you can, distracting those you are speaking with from the real point, without ever really engaging with what the person you are responding to said. 

I suppose what you are looking for is called "red herring fallacy".

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

GProgrammer said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy - but I've already seen some utterly sickening, evil replies in this thread. Have some decency. You may not agree with his rhetoric or policies, but he's not a dictator - he's an Authoritarian right wing populist. And the 200,000 deaths in the US (of which many of these deaths reportedly had other causes anyway) are not remotely his fault. And furthermore isn't the mask supposed to stop you from giving covid to OTHERS, not from getting it yourself? Soo what does being vaguely opposed to wearing a face diaper have to do with this?

I swear some of the stuff I read related to politics makes me disgusted to be a human. It's the reason I flipped off that category for viewing on this website. 

not remotely his fault?

Does this include the person who died from drinking pool cleaner after trump talking about an unproven medicine hydrochloriquine

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

People are actually still peddling this BS story that these were Trump supporters who hung on his every word?  

However, the death raised eyebrows among Lenius’ family and friends who disputed initial reports that the couple mindlessly took the drug after hearing President Trump.

“What bothers me about this is that Gary was a very intelligent man, a retired (mechanical) engineer who designed systems for John Deere in Waterloo, Iowa, and I really can’t see the scenario where Gay would say, ‘Yes, please, I would love to drink some of that Koi fish tank cleaner,'” one friend told the Free Beacon. “It just doesn’t make sense.”

Instead, several people told the Free Beacon that the couple had a fretful relationship, including verbal abuse and an incident where Wanda assaulted Gary with a birdhouse.

In an interview, Wanda Lenius said she and her husband each consumed four times the legal limit as a “kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing.”

“We weren’t big supporters of [Trump], but we did see that they were using it in China and stuff,” she said. “And we just made a horrible, tragic mistake.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-coronavirus-no-homicide-death-man-ingested-chloroquine-20200429-3xktpqchlrhgrhfh7rgt5kcjk4-story.html

Wanda Lenius wasn't even a Trump supporter as initially reported by the shoddy journalism you are still citing 6 months later:

Campaign finance records show that Wanda Lenius has given thousands of dollars to Democratic groups and candidates over the past two years

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/police-investigating-death-of-arizona-man-from-chloroquine-phosphate/

Ljink96 said:
As much as I dislike him, I do wish him well and I hope he takes this experience and uses it to correctly inform the American people about how dire and dangerous this virus is. It doesn't affect virtually nobody, the President has it and is now hospitalized because of it. If you still think this thing isn't real, here's hopefully the last bit of proof you need.

"Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life." - Donald J. Trump

I should have known better. Fuck me.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 05 October 2020

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:

Don't worry, everyone American has access to the same around the clock medical treatment and care that the president got, with their own sealed off ward in Walter Reed Hospital, access to experimental drugs, and unlimited tax dollars to pay for it.

And you'll also be allowed to break guidelines and leave after only 3 days. 

Lmao, gotta love Altano.

But yeah, this is mind boggling and surreal. I just really can't believe this shit anymore. Given the circumstances surrounding his encounter with the virus vs. a normal American, this only shows just how much he doesn't understand the Virus. Just disgusting.

EricHiggin said:
JWeinCom said:

Trump needed to initiate action much faster and much more cohesively. - De-funding various agencies that deal with this obviously wasn't a good idea either.

Personally I think a full investigation on how the Coronavirus was managed in the United States needs to be performed and if needed, bring Trump in front of a court of law and charged with mismanagement.
I would push for that regardless of who the person sitting at the very top was, they are still responsible for the entire nation.

So whilst yes, Trump has stated that even "one death is to much". - The high death rate I believe is still directly attributed to his messaging and lack of action, he spent more time moaning about his opponents and shifting the blame on everyone else than doing his actual job.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ljink96 said:
Ljink96 said:
As much as I dislike him, I do wish him well and I hope he takes this experience and uses it to correctly inform the American people about how dire and dangerous this virus is. It doesn't affect virtually nobody, the President has it and is now hospitalized because of it. If you still think this thing isn't real, here's hopefully the last bit of proof you need.

Susan Collins keeps saying the same thing.

Trump is too arrogant and pigheaded to learn anything. 

SanAndreasX said:
Ljink96 said:

Susan Collins keeps saying the same thing.

Trump is too arrogant and pigheaded to learn anything. 

Yeah, I hear you. But I had thought, surely since this man (and numerous Republican Staffers & his own friends) got the virus it'll be a pivotal point in his attitude towards COVID-19. But holy hell the dunce doubled down on his ignorance. Unbelievable. 

Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

Trump needed to initiate action much faster and much more cohesively. - De-funding various agencies that deal with this obviously wasn't a good idea either.

Personally I think a full investigation on how the Coronavirus was managed in the United States needs to be performed and if needed, bring Trump in front of a court of law and charged with mismanagement.
I would push for that regardless of who the person sitting at the very top was, they are still responsible for the entire nation.

So whilst yes, Trump has stated that even "one death is to much". - The high death rate I believe is still directly attributed to his messaging and lack of action, he spent more time moaning about his opponents and shifting the blame on everyone else than doing his actual job.

There is more than a lack of action. He left it up to the states, but when they did things he didn’t like, he undermined local efforts to control the virus and encouraged his followers to do the same, especially in Democratic and battleground states. 

Unfortunately, tradition dictates that you cannot indict a sitting president, and an impeachment would go nowhere. Mitch McConnell would likely refuse to even hold another trial in the Senate, not that it would matter. The Constitution requires two thirds of all Senators to vote for a conviction for a president to be removed from office. And the next Republican president will pardon him. His hearings on the federal coronavirus response should dwarf those of Watergate. This is one of the absolute worst things a president has ever done to the American people.