By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Did you call it a shmup?

It's shoot em up not shmup 9 40.91%

It's not bullet hell it's bullet heaven! 2 9.09%

Bang bang pull my bullet trigger! 11 50.00%

Total:22
Soren0079 said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Velocity 2X is great! I really enjoyed RIVE as well. 

What was your favorite from the Psikyo collections?

Ah I love Gunbarich! I've never played a game that managed to mix those genres together so well before. It's truly unique.
Sol Divide is brilliant. I also love Strikers 1945 II and Samurai Aces. Oh and Dragon Blaze and well I like them all but yea it just makes me wish that company hadn't been bought out and shut down.

I really like Dragon Blaze :) That dismount mechanic is so cool.

Around the Network

I mean it depends where you'd draw the line on what consitutes a shmup I guess.

Had a lotta good times with the likes of Super R-Type, R-Type III, Gradius III and Pop'n Twinbee on SNES, Ikaruga on Dreamcast.

Loved Sin & Punishement Star Successor on Wii if that counts? Also Starfox SNES and 64 if those qualify.

I think technically Starfox counts. I would not hold it against anyone who wants to count it. Some more hardcore people might scoff but I like Starfox. I was just playing some Zero Gunner 2 earlier today.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
I think technically Starfox counts. I would not hold it against anyone who wants to count it. Some more hardcore people might scoff but I like Starfox. I was just playing some Zero Gunner 2 earlier today.

Well, Starfox SNES and 64 are both in my top 20 games of all time. The genre as a whole tends to be a bit too difficult for me, but I have certainly greatly enjoyed some entries in it.

I like shmups, I just wish I was better at them. If Star Fox counts then that is my favorite series in the genre because these games are beginner friendly. However, I also have Ikaruga and R-Type Dimensions EX on the Switch. I liked Sin & Punishment Star Successor on the Wii and I remember playing Axelay and both R-Type games as well as Phalanx on the SNES.

I can never get past Stage 4 in Ikaruga. Just reaching it is already tough!

Around the Network

For those who play Shmups on the Switch. Do you own a flip grip to play in TATE?
https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Soren0079 said:

Ah I love Gunbarich! I've never played a game that managed to mix those genres together so well before. It's truly unique.
Sol Divide is brilliant. I also love Strikers 1945 II and Samurai Aces. Oh and Dragon Blaze and well I like them all but yea it just makes me wish that company hadn't been bought out and shut down.

I really like Dragon Blaze :) That dismount mechanic is so cool.

Ah yea it's such a clever mechanic. :)

I'm pretty sure it's spelled Trump, not Shump

I like them as long as they aren't Bullet Hell, which I dispise. But that doesn't mean I'm very good at them. I was much better as a kid, but nowadays, I'd have a pretty hard time making it through stage 1 in most games.

My favorite series, Parodious, is also not exactly easy in that regard...

IMO the best system for Smups is the Genesis/Megadrive.

MUSHA
Eliminate Down
Thunder Force II
Thunder Force III
Thunder Force IV
Greylancer
Elemental Master
Giaares
Fire Shark
Steel Battalion
Truxton

Get a Mega SG system so you can play Genesis/Megadrive games natively in 1080p, 60 FPS, with vastly improved sound quality (thanks to sound no longer being compressed by a coaxial cable, like the original Genesis/Megadrive).

Also a bunch of great run n' gun games on Genesis/Megadrive as well...

GunStar Heroes
Contra Hard Corps
Vectorman
Vectorman II
Ranger X
Alien Soldier