By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the Switch hit 100M Sold by December 2021?

Will the Switch hit 100M Sold By December 2021?

Yes 47 72.31%

No 18 27.69%

Total:65

It's possible, all depends on how many they can sell over this current holiday period as I doubt their 2021 sales will be as strong as this years.

Around the Network

100m should be doable, especially if we are talking about shipments which is what we should look at as we never have 100% sell through numbers.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Switch is currently at 61.44 million as of June 30th.

So far, VGChartz' tracking has the Switch at roughly 4.61 million units sold from July 1st to September 19th, with 11 days of tracking left in this fiscal period. Safe to say, it'll pass the 5 million threshold of units sold to consumers, and rather comfortably too. Somewhere around 5.2 million units sold is what I'm guessing. If that tracking is accurate, then the shipped total for this FY would be roughly 6.2-6.7 million. Depending on how much Nintendo has improved their ability to meet demand.

That would bring the Switch's overall shipped numbers somewhere between 67.64-68.14 million heading into the holiday quarter. Last year, Nintendo shipped 10.82 million units in the holiday period from October-December 2019. Granted, this year they don't have a super, megaton S-tier title like Pokemon or Smash Bros. in years past. But, demand is so through the roof right now that they don't really need one of that caliber. Hyrule Warriors and whatever title they have left to fill December will do just fine. So if Nintendo is able to, I think they could ship 10.82 million again, if not slightly more. Which would bring them to right around 79-80 million by the end of the year. From that point, they would need roughly 20-21 million to achieve OP's projection.

Yeah at this point it should do it. End of this year it should be over 77 million. That leaves 23 million for next year and I think it'll be a little over that, perhaps even 25 million. I think it has a good chance of finishing 2021 between the Wii and PS1, so right around 102 million, give or take a few hundred thousand.

Which is absolutely bonkers cuz if it's over 100 million in 2021 with ~25 million sales that year, it should be able to hit 120 million still going very strong by end of 2022, with plenty of time left to sell before being replaced. Who know, maybe this thing will get close to DS and PS2.

Yea it could, and crazy to think about it the switch will prob crush the ps4 lifetime sales.
Only nintendo seems to make a system sell 25+mill units i mean think about it.

SONY did everything right this genn,and still switch is easily gonne outsell it like a 100mill is nothing.

Ps5 on the other hand will struggle a lot because of the high price.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

I don't see why not. Covid will still last through 2021, and gaming will still be prime for entertainment. There will probably be a 2nd stimulus in the US and Japan, further boosting sales.

Absolutely. It should end the year to around 76 to 78 millions by selling like 27 to 29 millions. Next year with huge catalogue, pro model and price cut, just no way it will drop under 20 millions. Doing 22-24 millions should be a sure thing.

Looking at the three month earning release, current forecast is 19 million (not sure if that's changed and it's not reflected there as I'm hearing others say 30 million). This means Switch will sell, on their forecast, it will be at 74.76 at the end of the fiscal year on 3/31/21. It would need to sell another 25.24 million to make the difference. Since this is in nine months, Switch will miss it.

Now, let's say Switch blows past that with 25 million sold in the fiscal year, which puts it at 80 million. It would need to sell another 20 million in 9 months. Possible, but again, the stars need to align.

There are two things that are going to get in the way of this
1)Recession - contrary to popular belief, there will not be a V-shaped recovery from COVID, so expect a recession down the road. It will be worse for Europe as many countries are (foolishly) doubling down on the lockdowns which will lead to further job loss and business closure. This could cut into Switch's sales. Nintendo will likely have to cut the price of the Switch by $50 at least
2)No games - Say what you will, but Switch is running on fumes right now. Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Mario All-Stars will take them through the holidays, but they need to get their shit together and get some games out. Monster Hunter Rise helps and will likely boost Switch sales in Japan, but Nintendo's titles are the ones that are going to drive hardware sales as they always do. They have to get titles out if they want the Switch to keep going. Outlook is grim right now on that front.

My prediction is it wont happen but they will reach it in 2022.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life