By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital foundry: ORI devs best 3rd party for Nintendo

or atleast the few that know how to make stuff work

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Thread title is a bit misleading, as unless I missed it, they never actually say this during the video.

That said, this is definitely one of the best current gen ports to the Switch so far, as well as just one of the best looking games yet to grace the system.

It's also really interesting to see all the behind the scenes tricks and tinkering that went into making it work so well. Like they say, a lot of people assume that a game being 2D automatically means its not demanding, which is completely wrong.

I'm glad I supported this one and I look forward to playing it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 26 September 2020

I played it on XBone and loved it. I can't justify buying ott for Switch, but I'm glad to see that it is being well received.

curl-6 said:

Thread title is a bit misleading, as unless I missed it, they never actually say this during the video.

He definitely didn't say that in the video.  But, he very clearly implied that these devs did a much better job than most have done when porting to Switch.  It is clear that the guy is very impressed.  

Some level streaming issues and occasional framerate dips aside, this is indeed an amazing port!

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

He definitely didn't say that in the video.  But, he very clearly implied that these devs did a much better job than most have done when porting to Switch.  It is clear that the guy is very impressed.  

It's fair to say they described this as best port to Switch, obviously those all being 3rd party. Whether this is better game than 3rd party Switch originals wasn't really addressed, with focus of video on optmizations in the porting and game itself, but as ports are a big part of Switch 3rd party content, it's not really a stretch to say that either.

mZuzek said:

Yeah it's an amazing port. Only downside would be the random occasional crashes/softlocks but apparently those issues were also there in the original release, with worse framerates as well. Think it's only a matter of time until they get them fixed, but even then, it never bothered me.

Edit: as for the video itself, it's really cool how the devs gave DF footage from development, and insight on how they went about optimizing it. That bit about the lighting blew my mind, it's crazy when you start realizing just how much work and effort was put into this.

I've seen other posters more informed than myself that the devs have tweeted that patches are coming to fix these issues.

I've slept on the first Ori, thinking that it was a good 2D platformer, but would probably be another grain of sand on the beach full of 2D platformers on a Ninty console. After seeing reviews for both games and seeing that a physical collection is coming in December, I'm going to jump in.

mZuzek said:
burninmylight said:

I've seen other posters more informed than myself that the devs have tweeted that patches are coming to fix these issues.

I've slept on the first Ori, thinking that it was a good 2D platformer, but would probably be another grain of sand on the beach full of 2D platformers on a Ninty console. After seeing reviews for both games and seeing that a physical collection is coming in December, I'm going to jump in.

Yeah, they did talk about it already.

Generally I get annoyed when people call Metroidvanias platformers, but in the case of Ori it's hard to make a case for that. Both games have very little backtracking and are pretty linear, they don't really leave anything interesting for the player to find in exploration outside of the main stuff everyone's gonna see. So it does feel more like a proper platformer than any other Metroidvania.

...But in terms of the gameplay itself, although it is quite good, it maybe is another grain of sand in the Nintendo beach. What really sets these games apart is the story, art direction and soundtrack, it's an artistic experience as much as it is a game.

Not invalidating anything that you said up there. Keep in mind I was expressing my thoughts as someone who knew nothing about the games before watching some brief video reviews and seeing what how other forumgoers described them, so I first assumed they were simply platformers. Them having Metroidvania elements is one of the primary factors that will get me off the fence to buy the boxed copies in December.

The devs also said cart will come with the patch already on it, further incentivizing me to acquire it. I love rewarding hard working, customer-friendly studios.

Moon Studios are definitely one of the most talented devs going around. Its not just the visuals, its the heart and soul of their games. The Ori series wont age like other games.

It is definitely a technical achievement... And what you can achieve on Switch when you aren't lazy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--