By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital foundry: ORI devs best 3rd party for Nintendo

That DF review really says a lot about the effort and quality the devs are putting in.  I'm really looking forward to supporting this game.

I found the collectors box physical edition, including the original ORI game and a bunch of goodies.  I ordered it the night of the 29th for $160. including shipping.  Then the next day they announce both games coming physically to retail for $40. ea and include musical downloads and art cards as well.  /facepalm

The box, pin and "stained glass" art is cool and all, but not for that increase in cost.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

This isn't a waste, it's essential, the whole game can't be kept resident in memory the whole time. The alternative would be constantly breaking the game's flow with loading screens.

Or, you know, with some optimization, do it like the Switch version.

And I guess that's what they did with the One S/X version after patching it. But until end of june, a Switch port was "extrêmely hard"

The game is still very demanding and has asset streaming issues and frame rate drops on the Switch despite all the optimization and various downgrades. You seem to have this wrong idea that a 2D game cannot be as demanding or even more demanding than a 3D game. This isn’t a 16 bits game running on modern hardware, or a pixel art RPG made with RPG Maker. A lot is going on at all time to have the game look and feel the way it does. And barely any other 2D games, if at all, attempt what Ori is doing.

And finally, there really aren’t that many demanding games on the One X that run both at native 4K and 60 FPS. I find your bashing of Moon Studios capabilities misguided and ignorant. 

Hynad said:

The game is still very demanding and has asset streaming issues and frame rate drops on the Switch despite all the optimization and various downgrades.

Not really. 1 occasional frame drop in heavy scenes isn't what I would call "having frame drop issues"

Hynad said:

You seem to have this wrong idea that a 2D game cannot be as demanding or even more demanding than a 3D game.

Well you clearly read me wrong if you see that. My idea is when you have the privilege to not having a 3D game, it's the best option to have very great visuals and plenty ressources to uses, but it doesn't mean you have to use it in a wrong way, which they did initially, before patch. The game was running at 30 fps at launch, that's says a lot.

Hynad said:

And finally, there really aren’t that many demanding games on the One X that run both at native 4K and 60 FPS. I find your bashing of Moon Studios capabilities misguided and ignorant. 

If you think I am bashing them, you read me wrong (again). They did a wonderful job optimizing the game after its original release, and when doing the Switch port. 

However, I am criticizing the fact that they released a game which was really wasteful ressources-wise in the first place and stating that this is the best they could have (and thus thinking a Switch port would be impossible).

The "Welp, that's the best we can do" attitude they had in the first place I am blaming.

So in other words you say because the XO had more power they were sloppy and once they had less power to work with they actually did a proper job

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Well they did say in the DF video that even with the optimizations added to Xbox post-launch, the Switch build still ran very poorly at first. The simple fact is it's significantly less powerful hardware and therefore required a lot more nips and tucks.

The video says that by doing a straight port of Xbox One version by reducing resolution of the game ran poorly and they had to do the optimization they did with the Xbox One version but in a larger scale, which is exactly my point from the begining.

Poorly optimized game --> clever optmization to have it running at 60 fps --> same optimization in a higher scale to have the Switch version running at 60 fps.

Even with all the optimization it is still a demanding game though. It's still doing advanced stuff most 2D games and even some 3D games don't attempt. 

I'm not denying its original Xbox release wasn't sufficiently optimized, but it's not like this is a simple, lightweight game that would've been easy to get running at 60fps.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 October 2020

Around the Network

Switch owners should definitely look to try this game. It's a masterpiece, probably my game of the generation.