By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital foundry: ORI devs best 3rd party for Nintendo

I've only played the game on Xbox One, where it unfortunately suffered from some rather glaring technical hiccups. But I do look forward to getting/replaying both Ori games on Switch via physical cartridge when they come out later this year.

I will say this: technical accomplishments aside, with the arrival of Will of the Wisps Moon Studios is the best third-party on Switch, in terms of quality.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It's also really interesting to see all the behind the scenes tricks and tinkering that went into making it work so well. Like they say, a lot of people assume that a game being 2D automatically means its not demanding, which is completely wrong.

Well in my opinion, the original Xbox version of Ori 2 was way too demanding for a 2D game, way more than many 3D games (which can run rock solid 4k@60fps on the One X, which Ori couldn't during its release), meaning that lot of ressources were badly spent/not optimized. 

The Switch version showed that it could be as beautiful and less demanding with some optimization.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

It's also really interesting to see all the behind the scenes tricks and tinkering that went into making it work so well. Like they say, a lot of people assume that a game being 2D automatically means its not demanding, which is completely wrong.

Well in my opinion, the original Xbox version of Ori 2 was way too demanding for a 2D game, way more than many 3D games (which can run rock solid 4k@60fps on the One X, which Ori couldn't during its release), meaning that lot of ressources were badly spent/not optimized. 

The Switch version showed that it could be as beautiful and less demanding with some optimization.

did you even watch the video?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
SKMBlake said:

I think I even watched the video before you did.

And the other DF video related to Ori 2, where we could see the game's performance was very bad even on Xbox One X (that's why they mentioned the game runs better on the One at the end of the video).

And yes, 7 layers of high quality background is way too demanding for any console, they didn't even bother thinking this could be an issue on the One S, resulting in a game which was initially running at 30 fps.

SKMBlake said:

Ori is played at a 2d perspective but is technically like a 3D game which is why it's somewhat more demanding than other 2.5D games or some 3D games, this is because as shown in the video what you see on screen is not one layer with a character moving and interacting but seven layers in order to achieve the game's look and feel, it's like it's rendering seven 2D games at once but the result is one of the most timeless art directions in gaming.

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
kirby007 said:

And the other DF video related to Ori 2, where we could see the game's performance was very bad even on Xbox One X (that's why they mentioned the game runs better on the One at the end of the video).

And yes, 7 layers of high quality background is way too demanding for any console, they didn't even bother thinking this could be an issue on the One S, resulting in a game which was initially running at 30 fps.

in that case your 2D comparision towards 3D point doesn't make much sense to me, neither is the point you watching it before me tbh

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
SKMBlake said:

in that case your 2D comparision towards 3D point doesn't make much sense to me, neither is the point you watching it before me tbh

Well that's unfortunate

Wyrdness said:
SKMBlake said:

Ori is played at a 2d perspective but is technically like a 3D game which is why it's somewhat more demanding than other 2.5D games or some 3D games, this is because as shown in the video what you see on screen is not one layer with a character moving and interacting but seven layers in order to achieve the game's look and feel, it's like it's rendering seven 2D games at once but the result is one of the most timeless art directions in gaming.

I know all of this. My point was about the original Xbox One release, which was very poor performance-wise. Moon studio were like "oh we have 6 tf of power, we don't need optimization".

And this Switch port showed that we can have the same level of timeless art direction which way less power, you only needed to work about it just a little bit.

The game looks amazing on Switch. Just what can be done on weaker hardware as long as your reduce resolution.

yvanjean said:
The game looks amazing on Switch. Just what can be done on weaker hardware as long as your reduce resolution.

That's not what they did