By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gampass is a scam

If GamePass is a scam, wtf are 80 Euro PlayStation games?

Around the Network
Angelus said:
If GamePass is a scam, wtf are 80 Euro PlayStation games?

A blessing, we are humbled to pay for them

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm all for a controversial take, as long as it's well-reasoned. This just sounds like fantasy.

First of all, a digital purchase for a "AAA" game should only cost $40? That's just not reality. Take a look at the PS Store and eShop.

Second of all, no, there are plenty of games that launch on GamePass, not just titles that appear 6 to 12 months after launch. In 2020, I can think of three of the best indie games of the year: CrossCode, Streets of Rage 4, and Spiritfarer. Plus first-party games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps (my personal pick for GOTY), Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads, etc.

Third, why would you expect to get only two "AAA" games per year? Xbox now has 20+ studios. Among 343, Obsidian, Playground, Rare, Turn 10, Ninja Theory, The Coalition, Bethesda, id, and The Initiative, you don't think they cobble together three big-budget games in a calendar year? Not that it matters to me -- I'd rather MS invest more in "AA" experiences -- but what would make you expect such low "AAA" output?

If you want to say you just prefer PS games and don't care for Xbox software/indies, or you'd rather own physical media versus renting digital media, I'd understand. But your points right now are not justified.

Because so far microsoft have been all talk and spoken many promises and never delivered. And as of 2017, the current state of gamepass shows that they haven't released much new AAA games on day 1. The future is up for debate of what's to come, no one knows. But for the yearly price you pay, it should get you atleast 3 AAA exclusives, and a few indie small titles. Once microsoft can deliver, I might find it worthy. As of now, I see it as a proposition for new gamers who have plenty of catching up to do on missed games.

How much do Doom Eternal and Wasteland 3 cost on the PS store at this moment?

I'm gonna break down this scam

Game Pass Ultimate includes:
-100+ digital games that you can download
-First party $60 retail games on day one
-discounts should you decide to buy one of the games you've been playing
-The "free" games you get with XBL Gold
-Game streaming to mobile devices
-The option to buy an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S for a monthly fee of an additional $10 or $20.a month
-EA Play service with its own list of benefits

Around the Network

I've never used GamePass, but calling it a scam? C'mon. It's $120 a year. That's the same as two new releases. You can say that you're not interested in the selection. But for most people, there is a lot of value.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

mutantsushi said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Third, why would you expect to get only two "AAA" games per year? Xbox now has 20+ studios. Among 343, Obsidian, Playground, Rare, Turn 10, Ninja Theory, The Coalition, Bethesda, id, and The Initiative, you don't think they cobble together three big-budget games in a calendar year? Not that it matters to me -- I'd rather MS invest more in "AA" experiences -- but what would make you expect such low "AAA" output?

Pretty sure he was not trying to imply MS + Zenimax + EA Access do not put out more than 2 AAA games per year, but rather that a given person isn't going to be interested in all of the ones they make (whether due to specifics, genre, or just distracted by other games or life). MS putting out 10x their current AAA volume doesn't mean a real person will then play 10x as many AAA games even if they are for "free" after paying for Game Pass.

Anyways, I see it as borderline, could be decent or great for some people, not really that compelling for others. Mostly I disagree with the overblown takes like expanded Game Pass and Series XYZ will lead to huge growth from Playstation conversos. Certainly it's not affecting initial pre-orders in any way. If anything, I see it as better monetizing their existing base, and also creating a legit offering on the PC side of things (again, for at least some gamers, not all). Along with Zenimax content now being prioritized to their own Microsoft Store, that will beef up their presence in that sector... Which is why I think it will be most impactful in PC realm, more than any change in balance of console market... although it may beef up their profitability there.

@bold: I think you are inferring far too much. The OP clearly says "...no more than 2 major exclusives released day one..." The assertion was that the games would not come at all, not that they wouldn't be welcomed by consumers.

Even if that was the OP's assertion, it's not a very good argument. Game Pass is a scam because not everyone will play and love all 100 games on the service? How is that a scam?

TruckOSaurus said:
DOOM Eternal is coming on GamePass next week and it's still a full priced game. I'm not sure what's the obsession about Day One AAA games, like they're the only games that matter. I've been subscribed to GamePass PC since the release of Ori (in February) and I'm more than happy with what is offered to me for a measly $6 CAD per month.

It has allowed me to try out games I would have never purchased, like Sunset Overdrive. I was curious about it, tried it, didn't really enjoy it but since it's on a game service, it's no big deal, I can check out something else now.

Glad it worked for you.  It's not for everyone though. I just don't like how they're hyping it as something as a must have and that all gamers must have and flock towards gamepass.

I'm not sure that OP knows what the definition of a scam is. Unless Microsoft is somehow misrepresenting what's available or how much it will cost, it is not a scam.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
mutantsushi said:

Pretty sure he was not trying to imply MS + Zenimax + EA Access do not put out more than 2 AAA games per year, but rather that a given person isn't going to be interested in all of the ones they make (whether due to specifics, genre, or just distracted by other games or life). MS putting out 10x their current AAA volume doesn't mean a real person will then play 10x as many AAA games even if they are for "free" after paying for Game Pass.

Anyways, I see it as borderline, could be decent or great for some people, not really that compelling for others. Mostly I disagree with the overblown takes like expanded Game Pass and Series XYZ will lead to huge growth from Playstation conversos. Certainly it's not affecting initial pre-orders in any way. If anything, I see it as better monetizing their existing base, and also creating a legit offering on the PC side of things (again, for at least some gamers, not all). Along with Zenimax content now being prioritized to their own Microsoft Store, that will beef up their presence in that sector... Which is why I think it will be most impactful in PC realm, more than any change in balance of console market... although it may beef up their profitability there.

@bold: I think you are inferring far too much. The OP clearly says "...no more than 2 major exclusives released day one..." The assertion was that the games would not come at all, not that they wouldn't be welcomed by consumers.

Even if that was the OP's assertion, it's not a very good argument. Game Pass is a scam because not everyone will play and love all 100 games on the service? How is that a scam?

You honestly believe that there will be more than 3 AAA exclusives per year day one? And I don't mean a sport game or something of a smaller nature thrown in and counted as an AAA game. I don't see the point of subscribing if most games I want to play come to the system 6 or 12 months later. Games I want I get on release.  And if they're going to charge monthly, it should be less. They aren't netflix, they don't offer as much as they do, or as much new content per month, so their premium should be lower.