By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gampass is a scam

Clearly the millions that already have it/plan to get it disagree.

Around the Network

So just like PS Plus then?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

With all the money I saved thanks to Game Pass I can easily buy a Series X.

KratosLives said:

I'm calling it, gamepass is there to lure in people have them pay $16 a month, for games that have been out in the market for minimum 6 months to a year, and no more than 2 major exclusives released day one, a year. considering that a digital game purchase shouldn't cost more than $40, people will be paying for atleast 4 major AAA titles, which i doubt they will receive, even including the zenimax purchase. Gamepass may be good for newcomers , but not so much seasoned gamers. 

Microsoft has 23 first party developers. That's a bold assertion.

And as Gamepass continues to grow... Then the larger the "Netflix effect" becomes where studios/publishers will possibly do exclusive gamepass-only releases.

Gamepass is fantastic value regardless if you are a new or old gamer... I personally don't subscribe to it as I have a giant physical game library.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

MS gave me 3 months + 1 months extra free Gamepass, I've been SCAMMED.

For the average gamer who plays a lot of games, its great value. For the more savvy of gamers who go for deals and buys or plays select games a year its okay.

I already have a tonne of games to play still so I have no need for it. And the games I want to play out of the gate, I buy. People do get overboard sometimes about it though as its more of a rental/subscription service and different than buying and owning games, still can't argue its value for its sheer quantity of titles available to play.

I have played far more $ worth of games on GamePass than I've spent on monthly subscription. Far, far more lol. GamePass is the best thing to ever happen for my wallet in gaming.

Edit: Did we all just fall for a massive troll thread?

I'm all for a controversial take, as long as it's well-reasoned. This just sounds like fantasy.

First of all, a digital purchase for a "AAA" game should only cost $40? That's just not reality. Take a look at the PS Store and eShop.

Second of all, no, there are plenty of games that launch on GamePass, not just titles that appear 6 to 12 months after launch. In 2020, I can think of three of the best indie games of the year: CrossCode, Streets of Rage 4, and Spiritfarer. Plus first-party games like Ori and the Will of the Wisps (my personal pick for GOTY), Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads, etc.

Third, why would you expect to get only two "AAA" games per year? Xbox now has 20+ studios. Among 343, Obsidian, Playground, Rare, Turn 10, Ninja Theory, The Coalition, Bethesda, id, and The Initiative, you don't think they cobble together three big-budget games in a calendar year? Not that it matters to me -- I'd rather MS invest more in "AA" experiences -- but what would make you expect such low "AAA" output?

If you want to say you just prefer PS games and don't care for Xbox software/indies, or you'd rather own physical media versus renting digital media, I'd understand. But your points right now are not justified.

VAMatt said:

Gamepass costs $10 per month, Ultimate is $15. Let's go with the $15 price point. So, you're at $180 per year.

XBL Gold is worth $60 per year. So, now you're down to $120. So, that's two big titles at launch, or maybe you're the type that would play one title at launch and a few smaller older games. Either way, you should have at least 4-5 $60 games hitting the service each year, of which a couple are probably going to be of interest to most people. Then you have dozens of small or older games, which are still worth something.

Then you add in XCloud.

The value is definitely there.

After you factor in xbl, it's $120. However we are talking digital purchases. They shouldn't be charging more than $40 for a online title, considering the physical copy goes for $60, and that factors in around $15, to $20 for retailers and distribution costs. So that's roughly 3  AAA new release games there, however as of now, I have not seen 3 AAA type exclusives day one on game pass since it launched in 2017. Going forward I don't see more than 2 a year. Well 3 games that would atleast be appealing to most people, well recieved big budget exclusives, not indie or small budget AA games.  Sure it's value for new gamers who haven't caught up with games of the past, but I can't see it being for everyone or seasoned gamers, yet.