By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

sales2099 said:
Leynos said:
*sigh* yay monopolies. But at the very least stay away from Japanese studios and publishers.

Well to be fair a monopoly is defined by market share, not the assets of a corporation. So going by this basic definition of a monopoly it’s actually Sony that needs to be taken down a peg to allow proper competition in the gaming industry.

The Bethesda purchase will go a ways in helping achieve the “balance” that gen 7 had. But that’s not enough. Mainland Europe and Asia will be tougher to crack. 

Microsoft's monopoly stems back to the 1990s where they were a monopoly due to unethical business tactics which to their favor resulted them the financial foothold that they have today.  This is referring to Microsoft as a whole in which Sony is nowhere near the market dominance that Microsoft has in their general perceived markets.  So you are correct in terms of market share which applies to Microsoft.  And while there is nothing wrong with financially acquiring studios, it's reasonable to question Microsoft's potential affect to innovation and creativity to the industry given their past and similar (if not same) current actions.  Not everyone can compete equality on innovation and creativity, but to compete financially in this context isn't even competition at all.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 23 September 2020

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
twintail said:

E

They wouldn't get exclusive access to those games immediately.

Licensing for multiplatform release would continue, at the very least, until whenever both expire (FIFA is 2022), and considering how expensive the FIFA license most likely is, I can't imagine MS is going to be willing to pay even more then whatever EA is paying. 

In a situation like this, FIFA has the power advantage, not MS.

I also don't think that any sports entity is going to want exclusive games. They want mass appeal.

Even if that was the case, why the fuck would anyone pay $70 for one FIFA game on Playstation when you could get it as part of Game Pass for "free". 

FIFA doesn't go on EA Play/Access on Day 1. It's only a 10hr trial.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I think Obsidian and Ninja theory's outlook can show what they might plan to do with Bethesda. Obsidian was working on The Outer Worlds when they got bought by MS. Outer Worlds released on every platform. Their next two games however, Grounded and Avowed are looking to be Xbox and Windows exclusives. Same with Hellblade 2.

If MS is willing to "lose" money on hardware and software cause Gamepass most likely isn't making money and the console hardware are rumoured to be losing money and on top, they are willing to spend billions to acquire new companies. I wouldn't put it past them to say fuck it and make future Bethesda games exclusive because they want to be the only platform and they have the money to potentially do it. Effectively brute forcing their way to a victory if you will by the sheer amount of money they have.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Soundwave said:

Microsoft buying EA would basically end the Playstation.

The PS demographic with no access to Madden and FIFA would be game over. Well maybe not "end" but it would significantly cripple Sony. 

Even if MS bought EA, I highly doubt sports games like Madden and Fifa would be exclusive to the xbox platform. Considering The Show is now required to release on platforms besides Playstation, I don't see how xbox could keep those sports franchises off other platforms. 

Soundwave said:

Minecraft was a pretty different situation. It's a kids property and MS was likely keen not to limit its ability to reach kids so they could merchandise toys, clothing, and other products. Kids don't have the disposable income to buy multiple systems quite often. 

Similar thing with Cuphead, they're allowing it on different systems. 

Halo, Forza, Gears though ... nothing, nada on Playstation or Switch. I think Bethesda's IP will fall into this category. You want to play those games and you have to buy a XBox, Windows PC, or Game Pass. 

Who knows too, there may well come a day when MS pulls Minecraft from other platforms. It's their IP, they're under no obligation to share it. 

It is still a property they put down a lot of money for, as well as existing on competitor platforms before and after the purchase, so it makes sense to continue doing so. This is also why they can require an XBL sign in (optional).

Those previous IP's though?, they've existed with MS before the purchase of MC or Cuphead, so they tend to go with the Xbox identity, while MC, Bethesda and Cuphead do not. 

Again, it doesn't make business sense to allow for a time, then pull them away. I like to think you think that's a brilliant idea, but I will have to give a hard disagree on that plan. Their ecosystem idea transcends this. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I think Obsidian and Ninja theory's outlook can show what they might plan to do with Bethesda. Obsidian was working on The Outer Worlds when they got bought by MS. Outer Worlds released on every platform. Their next two games however, Grounded and Avowed are looking to be Xbox and Windows exclusives. Same with Hellblade 2.

If MS is willing to "lose" money on hardware and software cause Gamepass most likely isn't making money and the console hardware are rumoured to be losing money and on top, they are willing to spend billions to acquire new companies. I wouldn't put it past them to say fuck it and make future Bethesda games exclusive because they want to be the only platform and they have the money to potentially do it. Effectively brute forcing their way to a victory if you will by the sheer amount of money they have.

That's how I see it too. MS will honor prior obligations like the Ghostwire and Deathloop deals, but any new games with unannounced platforms will likely only be on Xbox consoles, PC, and Xcloud. 

M$ is investing some insane money into their gaming business. It's to the point that I honestly can't fathom how huge their ambitions must be. Is it all about Gamepass? Are they planning to reach Netflix numbers of subscribers? That would justify an investment of this magnitude. Maybe this is how they hope to reach that insane goal of 1billion Xboxes from way back when.

Chazore said:
Soundwave said:

Minecraft was a pretty different situation. It's a kids property and MS was likely keen not to limit its ability to reach kids so they could merchandise toys, clothing, and other products. Kids don't have the disposable income to buy multiple systems quite often. 

Halo, Forza, Gears though ... nothing, nada on Playstation or Switch. I think Bethesda's IP will fall into this category. You want to play those games and you have to buy a XBox, Windows PC, or Game Pass. 

Who knows too, there may well come a day when MS pulls Minecraft from other platforms. It's their IP, they're under no obligation to share it. 

It is still a property they put down a lot of money for, as well as existing on competitor platforms before and after the purchase, so it makes sense to continue doing so. This is also why they can require an XBL sign in (optional).

Those previous IP's though?, they've existed with MS before the purchase of MC or Cuphead, so they tend to go with the Xbox identity, while MC, Bethesda and Cuphead do not. 

Again, it doesn't make business sense to allow for a time, then pull them away. I like to think you think that's a brilliant idea, but I will have to give a hard disagree on that plan. Their ecosystem idea transcends this. 

Minecraft is the only 1st party game IP that will continue to release on all platforms. None of the other studios MS recently acquired are doing the same thing except honor prior deals like Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2. If MS want to actually see the Xbox platform/gamepass really make strides, a constant stream on exclusive content is absolutely necessary. Continuing to release new games on Playstation won't help them see that growth.

I do see Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online releasing on ps5 because these games are already on ps4 so why not keep that gaas money flowing. 

Chazore said:
Soundwave said:

And how about Avowed, Fable, Everwild, HB2, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Battletoads, Gunk, and Tell Me Why? Are those part of the "Xbox identity" as well?

Another thing, so you're telling me that they recently hired some 3rd party developers to develop exclusive games for them, and went out their way to buy timed-exclusivity in a bunch of other games, but somehow the games developed by their own studios will be multiplatform?

chakkra said:
Chazore said:

And how about Avowed, Fable, Everwild, HB2, Sea of Thieves, Grounded, Battletoads, Gunk, and Tell Me Why? Are those part of the "Xbox identity" as well?

Another thing, so you're telling me that they recently hired some 3rd party developers to develop exclusive games for them, and went out their way to buy timed-exclusivity in a bunch of other games, but somehow the games developed by their own studios will be multiplatform?

No.  Well... Fabled I'd say yes because it's been safely associated with the Xbox brand for sometime now.  Sea of Thieves, too new from my perspective to have much emotional investment/impact.  And even as someone who missed out on Battletoads during the NES days, I just see it as another solid option for Xbox.  These are just a few examples.  But there is more of a "wow" factor when you consider Mario and Zelda on a Nintendo platform similar to Uncharted, God of War, and Bloodborne on a PlayStation platform.  This seems to be the GENERAL perception in opposite of the titles you just mentioned.  So let's see if Microsoft will practice what they preach and take the high road by allowing their newly acquired developers to develop as they've been which benefits everyone.

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 23 September 2020