By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MS CEO Nadella: We Will Consider Buying Even More Game Companies In Future

The amount of FIFA licence fee is premised on the total market size, which would be lost by cutting off Playstation market.
Even if MS was willing to pay ongoing "tax" to FIFA for purposes of cutting of Playstation, it's not clear that FIFA would go along with it,
Since it's in their interests to maximally promote their brand, they don't want to see the franchise restricted from largest part of consoles.
Consider how consoles are vast majority of FIFA market, and Playstation is vast majorituy of that console market, this doesn't make sense.
And if MS tried it, it would be easy deal for Sony to buy the licence from FIFA when it next comes available, in the mean time developing
the basis of game to implement that, with deal for Konami's PES perhaps being most plausible route for that.

I mean, this is reflected in MS' own words about "reaching larger communities", yet discussion keeps ignoring that and financial aspects,
to focus on simplistic console war mentality that only thinks in terms of total exclusivity. It's not clear why this is about consoles as such,
when it's impact on PC gaming is more clear: Why wouldn't MS favor their own game store infrastructure? That doesn't cut off customers
since anybody can access all PC gaming stores, although it would then feed into their offer with Game Pass there which is very credible.

Around the Network

xbox buying massive 3rd party companies won't change nothing,
they might make all the games 1 year exclusive to their console but making it a permanent exclusive will only hurt their wallets

LivncA_Dis3 said:
they might make all the games 1 year exclusive to their console but making it a permanent exclusive will only hurt their wallets

Not if it points people to gamepass on PC or XCloud for those who don't want a series x or s.

Remember MS is not playing the console war, there are several ways to get consumer's money outside of putting games on the platform of a direct competitor.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

LivncA_Dis3 said:

Microsoft doesn't care about their wallet, the profits any video game makes is just icing on the cake compared to their other divisions that just print money.

If keeping some  games on XBox/Game Pass only means Game Pass/XBox gain market position and in the long term MS can exploit that market position (ie: having the Netflix of games for the next 10-20 years), that's more important to them than just hitting some sales quota for a Fallout game or something. 

Colocho said:
Jannlee48504 said:
Hey sony started this with trying to buy all the timed exclusives so xbox players couldn't have any games which leads me to believe the articles online that the ps5 isn't really a 10 tflop machine 🤔 they have never tried to money hat 3rd party games this hard before....now they're getting what they deserve
Jannlee48504 said: 
MS brought timed exclusive to dlc for gta 5 and fallout 3 not the entire game timed dlc isn't a issue to me but keeping a game thats not even theirs is bs

Well, you must have some really short memory...  MS is just as guilty as Sony on this front...  all companies do this to some xtent.   Let's not forget Bioshock, mass effect 1, Tomb Raider,  Cuphead, Titanfall ... etc.  The reason why they stopped using this strategy, is because, with Sony leading the race, it became increasingly more expansive  to continue to execute on this strategy.  Now they just purchase entire studios / publishers instead!  Lol

If i recall sony started doing this during Playstation 2 days with gta 3 vice city and San Andreas and even the final fantasy games and to a certain extent also on the Playstation 1...now its coming back on them and now everyone upset? Cry me a river lol

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Today Microsoft won me as a customer.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

LivncA_Dis3 said:

Sure, that's why all the games they have announced from their recently bought studios are all coming to PS5. They just don't want to tell us yet, but Avowed, Fable, Everwild, HB2, and Sea of Thieves are all going to be announced on PS5 any minute now.

Stellar_Fungk said:
Microsoft scares me as fuck.

You seem to be a Nintendo fan. Don’t worry you safe we take care of our allies :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

twintail said:
Soundwave said:

Microsoft buying EA would basically end the Playstation.

The PS demographic with no access to Madden and FIFA would be game over. Well maybe not "end" but it would significantly cripple Sony. 

E

They wouldn't get exclusive access to those games immediately.

Licensing for multiplatform release would continue, at the very least, until whenever both expire (FIFA is 2022), and considering how expensive the FIFA license most likely is, I can't imagine MS is going to be willing to pay even more then whatever EA is paying. 

In a situation like this, FIFA has the power advantage, not MS.

I also don't think that any sports entity is going to want exclusive games. They want mass appeal.

Even if that was the case, why the fuck would anyone pay $70 for one FIFA game on Playstation when you could get it as part of Game Pass for "free". 

Ubisoft. Do it.