By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Marth said:
It's quite funny to see the double standard.

I remember how people were cheering when Sony acquired Insomniac. How that was an amazing move.
But when Microsoft does it everyone acts oh so concerned.

We need Nintendo to get in that game as well to complete the trifecta. Default reaction would probably be downplaying Nintendos aquisitions all the time lol.

No, I am really sorry. Buying a developer after your competitor buys up seven, is nowhere near the same caliber as buying 7 studios and then a major publisher. Any double standards that were present at the Insomniac acquisition pale in comparison to this abomination of a deal.

Anyone who pretends this is in any way shape or form a positive step does not see the icy slope in front of us. They literally bought 14 studios instead of building up new ones, or actually invest in fledging low-level devs. Microsoft clearly shows their intent to pretty much buy themselves into an industry without any creative or visionary input, and kill off any competition if possible. But hey, if you are fine with that then more power to you

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

When are we expecting Starfield, Fallout or TES? We only got one Fallout game last generation (not counting the abomination that was Fallout 76) & the Elder Scrolls MMO. I don't see this trend changing this generation when games take longer and budgets are higher. Maybe Obsidian tackles another Fallout title after Avowed.

It looks like this Zenimax acquisition won't really bear fruit until 2023+. Although, by that time, Xbox Games Studios will be firing on all cylinders.

I hope this teaches sony a lesson about buying timed exclusives to keep xbox users from them they didn't need to keep us from the new final fantasy but they did so maybe microsoft should do the same with doom fallout and elder scrolls...

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:

Fallout and Elder Scrolls are the most important properties in gaming for me.  That's why I'm terrified right now.

And, as a PC gamer, all I can say is that Microsoft had better not fuck up those franchises by forcing them to become "games as a service" -centric.  They've done it before and killed Lionhead as a result.  Fallout/Elder Scrolls have always been developed with mods and modding in mind, more than any other major series, and that had better not be thrown aside by Microsoft's streaming agenda.

I have absolutely zero faith or trust in Microsoft and it wouldn't surprise me to see them screw things up.  I hope that doesn't happen but Microsoft's history doesn't make me very optimistic.

Well, Bethesda was already on the way with Fallout 76, which rightfully flopped.

I'm not talking about a spin-off, I'm talking about the main series.  They can make as many spin-offs by other studios as they want, I don't give a damn.

Barkley said:

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

So yeah, big hitters like Fallout/Elderscrolls will be still on PlayStation. Xbox will get the odd exclusive no doubt, and perhaps other benefits.

I still doubt it but I'll guess we'll see. 

Wouldn't it be cheaper to make a deal for something like the next Fallout to be on Games Pass, rather than buying all of Bethesda, if they weren't going to keep them exclusive to Xbox/PC. 

Around the Network

Well I really enjoyed playing Fallout and Elder Scrolls on console, guess it's PC now. Thank goodness that still appears to be an option, otherwise I'd be looking into buying a series X.

Impressive move, 'soft. Shame the stock price didn't move an inch on the news.

shikamaru317 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
That GamePass shit is making me worried about Fallout mods on PC. I have no idea how mods work, if they even work, with GamePass PC games. I hope Fallout releases on Steam.

I wouldn't worry about it. Recently MS has been putting most of their exclusives on Steam. Also Bethesda has been putting mod stores into their latest games like Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition, you can now download alot of the mods right through the game menu and enable them easily, as opposed to going the more difficult 3rd party modding route, so you will also be able to mod the Gamepass versions of Starfield and TES 6 I'm sure.

I like the first part, gives me hope.

The ingame Fallout 4 mod options are completely limited and pathetic. You can't even run a Fallout Script Extender in an Xbox One copy of Fallout 4. You go to the Nexus and see everywhere Xbox users begging on their knees for ports of mods for Xbox One the console can't even run.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

d21lewis said:
ironmanDX said:

How is this different to Sony's acquisitions? No sunset Overdrive 2 for me?

It sucks when Sony does it, too. Hell, I read an article a month or two ago where Sony supposedly went to every third party and demanded exclusive content for every multiplat. I'll likely own both consoles but this is kinda disgusting.

Usually when two platforms compete, the customer wins. It seems like all bets are off so both companies may potentially screw everyone that doesn't support their brand.

I'm only spending $120 a year on a seemingly ever expanding list of Gamepass games I would have bought for $60+ dollars each, saving hundreds of dollars a year. Anti consumer? This consumer will have more money in his bank account thanks to Microsoft buying these studios. At this rate, I hope Microsoft buys Nintendo (my preferred device). They could charge $50 a month then and I'd still save money lol. This is the golden age for consumers who want to save money!

ArchangelMadzz said:
Dulfite said:
GamePass, the thing I spend $5 a month on and eventually only $10, was already an insane deal. This just adds to it in crazy ways lol. Microsoft is saving me so much money, like at least $200-300 a year I'm saving by only paying $60-120 a year to game on PC. I don't get how thisakes financial sense to them, but I'm benefiting as a consumer like crazy!

It doesn't ahaha, there's no way Game Pass makes any money. MS have money to burn they're playing the long game and it'll be profitable in a few years maybe.

Game Pass boost digital sales and MS makes more money from digial sales that is an increase in revenue due to gamepass.  Plus I'm pretty sure they get a nice percentage from when people that have Game Pass end up buying some of the games on it digital the same deal applies for the paid DLC for  Game Pass games.  Also most of the games on Game Pass where already profitable before they got added to it so it doesn't cost MS a lot to add those to Game Pass.

Bandorr said:
Fascinating. Wonder if this is just Minecraft all over again. They buy it but do nothing with it. It still comes to every system etc.

Did nothing with it? They made back their investment and then some. You need to look back at your gaming History, when Microsoft bought Mojang the PS4 was outselling Xbox One at a 2 to 1 ratio. It would have been a very bad financial move to remove the game from Sony's console.

On the other hand, this acquisition came at the start of the generation were having time exclusive games on the Xbox Series console can actually make a difference. On the bright side for PS5 owners, I don't think Microsoft will really push for truth exclusive anymore. Once a game saturates the Xbox market and PC market they can release the game at $69.99 on Sony consoles.  

Last edited by yvanjean - on 21 September 2020