By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

The first company Microsoft purchased that I'm jealous of. Good for them!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Marth said:
It's quite funny to see the double standard.

I remember how people were cheering when Sony acquired Insomniac. How that was an amazing move.
But when Microsoft does it everyone acts oh so concerned.

We need Nintendo to get in that game as well to complete the trifecta. Default reaction would probably be downplaying Nintendos aquisitions all the time lol.

No, I am really sorry. Buying a developer after your competitor buys up seven, is nowhere near the same caliber as buying 7 studios and then a major publisher. Any double standards that were present at the Insomniac acquisition pale in comparison to this abomination of a deal.

Anyone who pretends this is in any way shape or form a positive step does not see the icy slope in front of us. They literally bought 14 studios instead of building up new ones, or actually invest in fledging low-level devs. Microsoft clearly shows their intent to pretty much buy themselves into an industry without any creative or visionary input, and kill off any competition if possible. But hey, if you are fine with that then more power to you

They way you talk about MS is how people talked in the 90's about Sony.

Sony buys time exclusivity for MKIII, for Tomb Raider...Buys Psygnosis...Buys sigil entertainment (syphon filter) buys Naughty Dog and so on ...

shikamaru317 said:
I can't help but find this funny. Sony really poked the bear on this one. We've heard from multiple insiders the past several months that Sony was specifically targeting developers and publishers who were associated with Xbox in the past, including Bethesda, with Sony moneyhatting timed exclusivity on 2 Bethesda games, and were in negotiations for a 3rd (Starfield). Safe to say that MS was not happy about that. What is that saying, play stupid games and win stupid prizes, Sony just learned that the hard way, don't play hardball with a company that has alot more money than you. They should be glad that MS will honor the pre-existing timed exclusivity deals Bethesda made with Sony.

I think it's safe to say that the sales gap next-gen just closed considerably, especially if MS is smart and makes future Bethesda games other than Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo at least timed exclusive to Xbox/PC, if not fully exclusive. Even having day one gamepass on future Bethesda games like Starfield, TES 6, Doom, Wolfenstein, etc. will be huge for them.

Will be interesting to see how Sony will respond now. Will they go after a publisher of their own (none of the big publishers would be cheaper than the $7.5b MS paid for Sony), or go after some of the remaining independent AAA developers like Remedy, Bungie, Techland, etc.?

I mean, the same can be said about Microsoft with this acquisition, if Sony was already aggressive in consolidating content for their platform, this news could make them go for larger publishers, most likely a huge Japanese publisher like Square or Capcom if they went down that route. Just because Sony isn't worth a trillion doesn't mean they can't drop billions on studio acquisitions. They've already invested billions in their other divisions like music (2 Billion+) and cameras (9 Billion) so investing billions in their gaming divisions is not out of the question.

I think if Microsoft bought Bethesda before the start of this generation, when Sony was on the verge of bankruptcy, it would have been a lot more dire, especially since SIE IP's weren't as valuable as they are now. 

If true, incoming Master Chief and Doom Slayer crossover

Chris Hu said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It doesn't ahaha, there's no way Game Pass makes any money. MS have money to burn they're playing the long game and it'll be profitable in a few years maybe.

Game Pass boost digital sales and MS makes more money from digial sales that is an increase in revenue due to gamepass.  Plus I'm pretty sure they get a nice percentage from when people that have Game Pass end up buying some of the games on it digital the same deal applies for the paid DLC for  Game Pass games.  Also most of the games on Game Pass where already profitable before they got added to it so it doesn't cost MS a lot to add those to Game Pass.

Any evidence of this? As far as I'm aware people use game pass for the games on game pass. 

People with game pass buying games on game pass? I'm not sure what you mean there if you have game pass you have unlimited access to the games on there.

With them paying for every game that is on game pass and then the full cost of their first party games have to be also made back on game pass I very much doubt it's a profitable service right now. They need sheer volume of users to turn a profit on the service. Like Netflix gradually increases the price and needs as many users on as many devices as possible, Microsoft needs to do the same.

Microsoft can afford to absorb that cost as well as the other costs of making and running a Console, Sony cannot which is why you won't see them respond in the same way.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Interesting news but nothing to really worry about for the next few years till fallout 723897238947 or ES comes out. By that time MSFT will know what direction the console war is going.....and it won't be their way (fingers crossed) :)

To me, this is like the last season of Community being on Yahoo video. Great show, but why on the service that nobody cares about? (Yes I know Community wasn't doing all too well and it being on Yahoo Video was the only way it was getting six seasons prior to its movie, but the point is that the platform is doing too poorly for this to work).

IT pisses me off because I spent the last 10 years slowly drifting away from Xbox, constantly hoping to move on or for them to step their game up. I got an Xbox 360 in 2008 or 2009 or something, it immediately red-ringed, I got another one, I rarely used it for fear of it red-ringing again, then I caught up on 50+ Xbox games but never played them for the aforementioned Red Ring concerns. The entire latter half of the 360's life went downhill after 2009 or so, but I bought an Xbox One in 2014 in the hopes that they'd come out the gate kicking. They didn't, and the Xbox One was barren from 2016-2020. 10 years of absolutely nothing made me decide to focus on PS5 and Switch because Sony and Nintendo have actually been giving me games I give a shit about..

...then they go and do this? I love Bethesda games. I don't like Microsoft. Even if Microsoft doesn't destroy Bethesda's IP, I still have to go through their channels to get the games I want.

Is that selfish? yeah. Yeah it is. I'm not pretending here. And no this isn't the same as Sony acquiring Insomniac or Sucker Punch. Not even remotely close. Stop saying that. It's not true and you know it. This would be like Sony acquiring Ubisoft or Activision or something. I wouldn't WANT that (Bethesda is one out of two of the big five publishers - EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Square-Enix - with Square-Enix being the other one, that I actually care about), but still. I just...guh. This sucks. It's smart on Microsoft's part, but sucks for me.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

PotentHerbs said:
When are we expecting Starfield, Fallout or TES? We only got one Fallout game last generation (not counting the abomination that was Fallout 76) & the Elder Scrolls MMO. I don't see this trend changing this generation when games take longer and budgets are higher. Maybe Obsidian tackles another Fallout title after Avowed.

It looks like this Zenimax acquisition won't really bear fruit until 2023+. Although, by that time, Xbox Games Studios will be firing on all cylinders.

Same primary team works on both Fallout and Elder Scrolls, switching over when one is finished, but Starfield throws a monkey wrench into that formula.  Skyrim to Fallout 4 was 4 years.  Fallout 4 was released in 2015 and we know Starfield is nearly done.  the next Elder Scrolls was in early production in 2018 but probably won't see dedicated production until Starfield is totally finished.  Wouldn't surprise me if we have to wait at least 4 more years for another Elder Scrolls.

At least nothing about Starfield is likely to be changed by Microsoft, and quite possibly nothing about Elder Scrolls 6.  At least, I hope.

Only just read this now.... Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrr