By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ori and the Will of the Wisps - Out Now on Switch

I just got done playing through the demo of Blind Forest.

It took me a while to adjust to Ori's controls as he's much quicker and less weighty than I'm used to in platformers like Mario and Donkey Kong; I overshot my jumps a lot at first. Even this early area was a decent challenge, and I did die a few times, but I felt like I was starting to get better by the end.

So the sequel used regular autosaves does it? I ask cos apparently the first game doesn't, you have to spend energy cells to create your own checkpoints.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

I just got done playing through the demo of Blind Forest.

It took me a while to adjust to Ori's controls as he's much quicker and less weighty than I'm used to in platformers like Mario and Donkey Kong; I overshot my jumps a lot at first. Even this early area was a decent challenge, and I did die a few times, but I felt like I was starting to get better by the end.

So the sequel used regular autosaves does it? I ask cos apparently the first game doesn't, you have to spend energy cells to create your own checkpoints.

It does autosave and it's pretty liberal with them. Still really challenging, though.

I bought the first game on PC and Switch. A very good Metroidvania game. Now I wait for a good eshop sale or a standard physical version (maybe a combi-gamecard with both games). I won't spend 150 $ for the deluxe edition, though.

mZuzek said:

By the way, technically speaking, the port does seem to run at 60fps most of the time, there's been some dropped frames here and there but nothing too noticeable, didn't really affect the gameplay. There's been a couple weird freezes in large areas, probably loading, but it only stops for about a couple seconds and the music thankfully carries on playing.

If you think those minor dips are an issue, you must check Digital Foundry's analysis on the Xbox One version, the performance is awful, and runs around 30-40fps on One S.

Switch version is superior in this case

SKMBlake said:
mZuzek said:

By the way, technically speaking, the port does seem to run at 60fps most of the time, there's been some dropped frames here and there but nothing too noticeable, didn't really affect the gameplay. There's been a couple weird freezes in large areas, probably loading, but it only stops for about a couple seconds and the music thankfully carries on playing.

If you think those minor dips are an issue, you must check Digital Foundry's analysis on the Xbox One version, the performance is awful, and runs around 30-40fps on One S.

Switch version is superior in this case

The game is in a much better state now. That benchmark is not representative of current performance of the game on Xbox. 

Around the Network

I'm taking it, just not now. I need to finish Spiritfarer and Deadcells first

Love the first Ori so much, my only complain is it was too short I wanted much more XD

Will of the Wisps is in the absolute top of my game of the year picks.

I am itching to buy this, but I must resist and wait for a physical version at a better price. The wait will kill me though. Hahaha.

A concern I have is that with the first game's "set your own checkpoints, no autosaves" system, it sounds like the chase sequences I've heard so much about could get frustrating if you have to repeat the whole thing every time you make a mistake.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 September 2020

Between the autosaves and having an "Easy" difficulty setting, plus the spruced up visuals and reports it just feels tighter and more refined, Will of the Wisps is sounding more appealing to me than Blind Forest to be honest.