By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and Sackboy confirmed cross-gen

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

The issue isn’t graphical fidelity. The game can look drop dead gorgeous. 

(Taking a page of the PS console wars book)

It’s about the core game being built around the base PS4. The game won’t truly take advantage of PS5s potential. Sure it will look better and load times will improve, but ultimately it’s a base Ps4 title improved for the current gen. At least...that was the message hammered into my brain by all too many PS fans regarding Xbox cross gen titles. 

You're absolutely right. Spider Man MM, Sackboy I totally understand, but a technical showcase title like HFW? It just makes no sense to me to make that cross gen. We'll see but I don't see how it will end up looking anything like this now :( Bad Sony...BAD!! 

It will look the same or most probably even better.  I think that the main difference between PS4-PS5 versions (aside of obvious graphical ones) will be quantity of enemies fighting at the same time, the quantity of fauna and flora on screen in the game; and also on how "alive" the towns will be this time; because on PS5 will have more pedestrians now.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Heavenly_King said:

And I agree, that is why I am disappointed.  But maybe the PS4 version will run like utter crap in order to handle the game.

I have made my peace with it. And how this happening makes sense. HZD was released in Feb 2017. And some sort of work must have started in part o the sequel that same year with them gonig into full production the following year. By 2018, I am sure none of them had anything remotely close to even yet PS5 hardware, they probably just had some lose spec targets. It's easy to see how they would have made the game for an o the PS4, but built in a lot of open ends in their code to allow the shift to and make the most of the PS5. With GOW which probably starts full production in 2019, it's easy to see how or why that game would be PS5 exclusive.

And they could always just run the PS4 version at 900p and the PS4pro version at 1080p. What is clear, however, is that a lot of work has been put into the PS5 version, which is why after it was shown no one thought for a second that "this could be done on the PS4". 

I agree the reveal trailer was drop dead gorgeous. I am really hoping this game flexes some serious PS5 muscle and does not hold back.  I am wondering if they have some sort of scaling in their engine

V-r0cK said:
I've always wondered this with every next gen launch game, and this includes Halo etc..

Like it's great to have an amazing big budget game at launch but how are they able to recoup their loss/make a lot of money if the installs base is completely new? That's why I always thought cross gen games (for current and new gen) for launch made sense to me and understood why it could also be a reason Halo was intended for cross gen for launch.

I think the only issue is that Sony should've said that these games were going to be cross gen from the start rather than giving the impression they were all next gen exclusives. Personally it wouldn't have mattered for me I will get these games for next gen regardless if they're coming out this gen.

It's the price you pay for having AAA first party near launch, take PS4 you had a graphical showcase in Killzone Shadowfall to show off the system but it was  not a game that would sell many millions more if released in the second or 3rd year.

The tendency is to have your bigger titles reaping the benefits of a more mature platform not just from the increased player base but also increased development expertise that comes with time, but in this case we have a two competing aims one being Sony's aim to have a quicker next gen transfer than last gen and having a big game like horizon near launch is part of  their attempt at doing that,maximising sales is another aim, so questions like how many more potential sales would it make being released with a bigger base and can we offset that by cross gen without diluting it's ability to move people across to PS5.

now another factor to help assuage those like me that fear a loss of potential in HFW is that near launch could mean not waiting too long for a 3rd game with nothing to hold it back.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I think the biggest issue here is the lack of theology, expecting the worst, console wars turn mole hills into mountains and that leads to both MS and Sony getting hung for it.

From a theology perspective, both MS and Sony said the same thing.

Believing in generations doesn't mean you don't or can't support new / old generations.

We don't believe in generations don't mean you won't have exclusives.

But people will argue what they want it to mean and neither of these two companies is stupid enough to spend resources correcting people everytime someone miss understands.

1) Every gen has had cross gen games for a period of time, so let's not act like it's anything new.

2) The argument of graphics being held back can't be made unless it's physically visible e.g halo infinite. I wouldn't argue the same for HFW as it don't look anything like a PS4 game in any way shape or form.

MM we however know it's more of a TLOU Remastered thing, and even then it's got a bunch of stuff that will be added that's only possible on a next gen console.

I mean how do you decide that a game is built for next gen? Ground up means nothing as games were built for current gen when it was new that didn't take advantage of current hardware when it was new. So are these games now considered last gen?!

How many games took advantage of the DS4 speakers, light, touchpad in a meaningful way, the gyro and the ability to broadcast the game with the ability for viewers to interact?!

The X1sx and Ps5 will have a ton of new features and not every dev, even if exclusive to the next gen only, will not take advantage of every feature, or sometimes maybe even half the features. There are lazy devs like the EA Sports lot who will churn out shit every year with tiny upgrades probably.

The cross gen argument mostly is a 1st world tantrum throwing contest.

Gamers no longer have thick skin and seem to cry like footballers like everything can hurt us at the slightest touch. Everything angers us / upsets is, we are becoming toxic and so reactionary, it sucks the joy out of being part of the community sometimes.

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

My head is confused.

He was asking if you can`t see a difference between PS3 to PS4 games or if your can`t see difference between PS4 and X1. Basically he would be agreeing the difference between the multiplats is minimal (and they were very small indeed), but can`t agree that you wouldn`t be able to see the difference even between TLOU on PS3 and PS4.

goopy20 said:

Alright..alright. I hereby apologize bud :) 

I know I've given MS a lot of shit over this and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Truth is this whole cross gen strategy sucks imo and my day was ruined when I heard Sony was doing the same thing. With Spider Man MM it was kinda to be expected. But HFW going cross gen has decimated my excitement for that game. Not sure what happened there, it probably has mostly to do with the pandemic and releasing a new console in such a uncertain market. However, I don't think its part of Sony's core strategy and I'm sure GOW2 will at least turn up as a true next gen spectacle.

They aren`t doing the same thing. MS said they would have 100% games being crossgen over the next couple years. From this gen it seems like we would get 33% of Sony games over the last couple years being cross gen.

So not the same thing, but yes we can complain about it. I`ll wait to see more on HFW to see how much impact being crossgen will have on the PS5 version. Being a very good dev is possible that HFW will look and play better than any full next gen title by 2021, but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t be better if was only PS5. Let`s pray they are making 2 different games.

If they make 2 separate versions than everything will be good. But in all honestly, I don't see that happening as it seems like they're doing a simultaneous release for ps4 and ps5. HFW was by far the most impressive Sony showed at their last event and it sure is odd that they didn't show any footage at all this time around. 

Somehow I got a feeling this weird move has a lot to do with them responding to the $299 Series S. I'm guessing they also want to be able to compete with price by dropping ps4 pro to $199 and still have some big releases on there. I just wish they used GT7 instead as HFW seems like the perfect game to showcase the new hardware when it comes to world simulations, level design etc.  

Even MS seems to have figured out that cross gen 1st party games is a terrible idea. They spend a whole year talking about it and getting burned for it. But in the end, Halo seems to be the only game that's still coming to Xbox One... and we all know how that turned out. 

Ahh well, it is what it is. At least Ratchet is a full blown next gen title and Demon Souls also looks insane. I can only hope they're not going to pull the same cross gen crap with GOW2, though. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

My head is confused.

He was asking if you can`t see a difference between PS3 to PS4 games or if your can`t see difference between PS4 and X1. Basically he would be agreeing the difference between the multiplats is minimal (and they were very small indeed), but can`t agree that you wouldn`t be able to see the difference even between TLOU on PS3 and PS4.

goopy20 said:

Alright..alright. I hereby apologize bud :) 

I know I've given MS a lot of shit over this and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Truth is this whole cross gen strategy sucks imo and my day was ruined when I heard Sony was doing the same thing. With Spider Man MM it was kinda to be expected. But HFW going cross gen has decimated my excitement for that game. Not sure what happened there, it probably has mostly to do with the pandemic and releasing a new console in such a uncertain market. However, I don't think its part of Sony's core strategy and I'm sure GOW2 will at least turn up as a true next gen spectacle.

They aren`t doing the same thing. MS said they would have 100% games being crossgen over the next couple years. From this gen it seems like we would get 33% of Sony games over the last couple years being cross gen.

So not the same thing, but yes we can complain about it. I`ll wait to see more on HFW to see how much impact being crossgen will have on the PS5 version. Being a very good dev is possible that HFW will look and play better than any full next gen title by 2021, but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t be better if was only PS5. Let`s pray they are making 2 different games.

MS said 100%, but the reality is different. As far as we know only Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2 and Grounded are cross gen. All the other games they announced are next gen only. Everwild, Project Mara, Hellblade 2, Forza, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3

Funny how both Sony and MS said one thing and did the opposite in actuality. Difference is I’m happy with MS doing their flip flop 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Fei-Hung said:
I think the biggest issue here is the lack of theology, expecting the worst, console wars turn mole hills into mountains and that leads to both MS and Sony getting hung for it.

Believing in generations doesn't mean you don't or can't support new / old generations.

But people will argue what they want it to mean and neither of these two companies is stupid enough to spend resources correcting people everytime someone miss understands.

1) Every gen has had cross gen games for a period of time, so let's not act like it's anything new.

2) The argument of graphics being held back can't be made unless it's physically visible e.g halo infinite. I wouldn't argue the same for HFW as it don't look anything like a PS4 game in any way shape or form.

MM we however know it's more of a TLOU Remastered thing, and even then it's got a bunch of stuff that will be added that's only possible on a next gen console.

I mean how do you decide that a game is built for next gen? Ground up means nothing as games were built for current gen when it was new that didn't take advantage of current hardware when it was new. So are these games now considered last gen?!

How many games took advantage of the DS4 speakers, light, touchpad in a meaningful way, the gyro and the ability to broadcast the game with the ability for viewers to interact?!

The X1sx and Ps5 will have a ton of new features and not every dev, even if exclusive to the next gen only, will not take advantage of every feature, or sometimes maybe even half the features. There are lazy devs like the EA Sports lot who will churn out shit every year with tiny upgrades probably.

Gamers no longer have thick skin and seem to cry like footballers like everything can hurt us at the slightest touch. Everything angers us / upsets is, we are becoming toxic and so reactionary, it sucks the joy out of being part of the community sometimes.

Well said.

As or the bolded post... I sincerely think it's due to anonymity. I think that fuels some of the vilest behavior you see on the internet. There is a reason where mediums, where you are forced to use your real name generally, has much nicer comments lol.

Intrinsic said:
Fei-Hung said:

Well said.

As or the bolded post... I sincerely think it's due to anonymity. I think that fuels some of the vilest behavior you see on the internet. There is a reason where mediums, where you are forced to use your real name generally, has much nicer comments lol.

I think It's anonymity along with being cavalier with our reactions, not worrying about cause and effect. Then when you gather a movement, it empowers every individual more so.

I remember that Derren Brown episode where he got a bunch of people to decide on things that will happen to some random guy. People made bad decisions under anonymity, but also they thought it was harmless and fun until they caused an live threatening accident and then thought oh shit.

We aren't that different as gamers, I think we like to fight and argue and demand things. One day we might be downfall of this industry we claim to live so much.

I'm more worried how Godfall is a launch game and we still know shit about the campaign, mp, coop etc. Same as Destruction All Stars. These things are far more worrying than games being cross gen. 

Fei-Hung said:

I think we shouldn't have to debate whether a game looks next gen or not. We should immediately notice a true generational leap in games and it should be self explanatory why those games wouldn't work on the consoles we already have. Isn't that's the whole point of a new console generation and why not many people upgraded to a mid-gen console?

So far both MS and Sony have done a lackluster job tapping into that next gen magic. MS has told us that their strategy revolves around the player, not the device. Whereas Sony's been telling us all this time they do believe in generation and are doing a complete reset. Sure fanboys can be idiots and I've been banned plenty of times myself for expressing my concerns. Call it concern trolling but the only reason I've been ranting so much is because I don't believe everything scales. I don't believe we'll see true next gen games when developers constantly have to ask themselves "will this work on a jaguar tablet cpu and HDD too?" I believe we should demand both companies to 'wow' and convince us why we should trade in the perfectly fine console we already have and spend $500 bucks on a new one  

Sony seemed to get it when they showed us things like the UE5 demo, Ratchet and HFW. And now Sony guys are all pissed that they seem to backpaddling and do the same thing that got people (like me) to shit on MS so much. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 20 September 2020

mjk45 said:
V-r0cK said:
I've always wondered this with every next gen launch game, and this includes Halo etc..

Like it's great to have an amazing big budget game at launch but how are they able to recoup their loss/make a lot of money if the installs base is completely new? That's why I always thought cross gen games (for current and new gen) for launch made sense to me and understood why it could also be a reason Halo was intended for cross gen for launch.

I think the only issue is that Sony should've said that these games were going to be cross gen from the start rather than giving the impression they were all next gen exclusives. Personally it wouldn't have mattered for me I will get these games for next gen regardless if they're coming out this gen.

It's the price you pay for having AAA first party near launch, take PS4 you had a graphical showcase in Killzone Shadowfall to show off the system but it was  not a game that would sell many millions more if released in the second or 3rd year.

The tendency is to have your bigger titles reaping the benefits of a more mature platform not just from the increased player base but also increased development expertise that comes with time, but in this case we have a two competing aims one being Sony's aim to have a quicker next gen transfer than last gen and having a big game like horizon near launch is part of  their attempt at doing that,maximising sales is another aim, so questions like how many more potential sales would it make being released with a bigger base and can we offset that by cross gen without diluting it's ability to move people across to PS5.

now another factor to help assuage those like me that fear a loss of potential in HFW is that near launch could mean not waiting too long for a 3rd game with nothing to hold it back.

I actually like the idea of they lauching the game near console launch that means they had a lot of time to learn the console on the first game so they can launch one or two games after fully understanding the console.

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

If they make 2 separate versions than everything will be good. But in all honestly, I don't see that happening as it seems like they're doing a simultaneous release for ps4 and ps5. HFW was by far the most impressive Sony showed at their last event and it sure is odd that they didn't show any footage at all this time around. 

Somehow I got a feeling this weird move has a lot to do with them responding to the $299 Series S. I'm guessing they also want to be able to compete with price by dropping ps4 pro to $199 and still have some big releases on there. I just wish they used GT7 instead as HFW seems like the perfect game to showcase the new hardware when it comes to world simulations, level design etc.  

Even MS seems to have figured out that cross gen 1st party games is a terrible idea. They spend a whole year talking about it and getting burned for it. But in the end, Halo seems to be the only game that's still coming to Xbox One... and we all know how that turned out. 

Ahh well, it is what it is. At least Ratchet is a full blown next gen title and Demon Souls also looks insane. I can only hope they're not going to pull the same cross gen crap with GOW2, though. 

Having two versions don`t mean they will or won`t release simultaneously.

Your feeling is quite wrong, as we already know Series S is a thing for like 6 months, so Sony also knew when they first revealed the console so they didn`t made a decision to change those 3 games to be crossgen because of Series S being confirmed. As was posted on the site, HFW was being worked on PS4 already from the start and them moved to be a PS5 title as well. Miles Morales is on a PS4 engine with improvements so no reason to think it wouldn`t be crossgen. Sackboy well it looks more like a PS4 game than even a crossgen. So nothing on that was changed to be a PS4 as well.

MS didn`t figured it was a terrible idea. It is more like they always knew only a handful of games would be ready to release by 2021, and the only noteworthy one was Halo. And that one was being worked for like 5 years with most of the time X1 being the baseline. I would say it was more like MS was trying to get the best PR possible with what they had.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

MS said 100%, but the reality is different. As far as we know only Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2 and Grounded are cross gen. All the other games they announced are next gen only. Everwild, Project Mara, Hellblade 2, Forza, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3

Funny how both Sony and MS said one thing and did the opposite in actuality. Difference is I’m happy with MS doing their flip flop 

Gears Tactics I cross out of the list because it is already release on PC, so they are just holding the console version to release together with Series on launch. And well Grounded would be similar case. Psychonauts I don`t think is a game that would benefit from being only nextgen (Grounded would be the same I guess). The other games don`t have a release date so it can`t be said if they would fall or not inside the timeline MS committed to crossgen so for now it can`t be said anything about them.

I don`t think they are doing the opposite. MS case would be quite easy to solve, instead of saying 100% for the next 2 years they could say just what Sony said this week "we will keep supporting the console for the next couple years (in sony case 3-4 years)" and even say "we will launch crossgen games" or even use "some of our best games to be launched on the next couple years will be crossgen". All those would have generated much less flack than what they said, and also wouldn`t be countered by they making a full nextgen game on that window.

Sony case they didn`t say they wouldn`t have crossgen. They said they believe in gen and also that they wanted fast transition, neither means no crossgen.

goopy20 said:
Fei-Hung said:

I think we shouldn't have to debate whether a game looks next gen or not. The whole point of new consoles is that we see a true generational leap in games and that its self explanatory why those games wouldn't work on the consoles we already have.

So far both MS and Sony have done a lackluster job tapping into that next gen magic. MS has told us that their strategy revolves around the player, not the device. Whereas Sony's been telling us all this time they do believe in generation and are doing a complete reset. Sure fanboys can be idiots and I've been banned plenty of times myself for expressing my concerns. Call it concern trolling but the only reason I've been ranting so much is because I don't believe everything scales. I don't believe we'll see true next gen games when developers constantly have to ask themselves "will this work on a jaguar tablet cpu and HDD too?" I believe we should demand both companies to 'wow' and convince us why we should trade in the perfectly fine console we already have and spend $500 bucks on a new one  

Sony seemed to get it when they showed us things like the UE5 demo, Ratchet and HFW. And now Sony guys are all pissed that they seem to backpaddling and do the same thing that got people (like me) to shit on MS so much. 

You were plenty surprised and satisfied by SM:MM and HFW when it wasn`t said they would be crossgen, did they graphics became magically worse after the reveal? If not, if the game release just as or better than when they were announced would that satisfy you?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."