By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and Sackboy confirmed cross-gen

Norion said:
Dulfite said:

Well I did note that PS3-4 had a jump, though not a huge one to me, so it makes sense that 5 compared to 3 would look better. Are these both in game footage?

If so, I'd like to see a comparison of PS4 to 5 or 3 to 4 rather than 3 to 5.

You said PS3/360 - PS5/Xbox Series X had hardly any noticeable improvements to you. Did you mean PS3/360 - PS4/Xbox One? Both are in game yeah, the gameplay trailer for the remake looks the same. For PS4-PS5 both Last of Us games work well for that and for PS3-PS4 Resistance 1 and Killzone Shadow fall should work well since both are launch title FPS games. Another comparison is the recent Unreal Engine 5 demo and old demo for Unreal Engine 4. There is a big difference there.

My head is confused.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Norion said:

You said PS3/360 - PS5/Xbox Series X had hardly any noticeable improvements to you. Did you mean PS3/360 - PS4/Xbox One? Both are in game yeah, the gameplay trailer for the remake looks the same. For PS4-PS5 both Last of Us games work well for that and for PS3-PS4 Resistance 1 and Killzone Shadow fall should work well since both are launch title FPS games. Another comparison is the recent Unreal Engine 5 demo and old demo for Unreal Engine 4. There is a big difference there.

My head is confused.

In that case I'll just say that game visuals still have a long way to go. Eventually sometime this century true perfect realism will be reached and it'll be glorious.

Norion said:
Dulfite said:

My head is confused.

In that case I'll just say that game visuals still have a long way to go. Eventually sometime this century true perfect realism will be reached and it'll be glorious.

I give it one more gen. This gen will be near photo real, next gen will be near perfect but on full VR. Anything on top of that would be pointless so they will focus on slimming down. Maybe go the sword art online route and have the entire console and vr headset be one and the same. Dont think 8k will be that important yet as 4k saturates most peoples capabilitys. So next gen will be all about 4k120fps VR. Nothing more needed. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

sales2099 said:
Heavenly_King said:
In Sony's defense, Horizon:FW looks fantastic; so it seems that they are doing cross gen right at least; not like M$. But I am still a bit dissapointed.

I bet Sony will show later some gameplay footage of FW on PS5, in order to shut down the negativity.

The issue isn’t graphical fidelity. The game can look drop dead gorgeous. 

(Taking a page of the PS console wars book)

It’s about the core game being built around the base PS4. The game won’t truly take advantage of PS5s potential. Sure it will look better and load times will improve, but ultimately it’s a base Ps4 title improved for the current gen. At least...that was the message hammered into my brain by all too many PS fans regarding Xbox cross gen titles. 

You're absolutely right. Spider Man MM, Sackboy I totally understand, but a technical showcase title like HFW? It just makes no sense to me to make that cross gen. We'll see but I don't see how it will end up looking anything like this now :( Bad Sony...BAD!! 

sales2099 said:
I’m just gonna say:

Goopy, I demand an apology. Apologize and I will forgive you for past cross gen transgressions :)

Alright..alright. I hereby apologize bud :) 

I know I've given MS a lot of shit over this and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Truth is this whole cross gen strategy sucks imo and my day was ruined when I heard Sony was doing the same thing. With Spider Man MM it was kinda to be expected. But HFW going cross gen has decimated my excitement for that game. Not sure what happened there, it probably has mostly to do with the pandemic and releasing a new console in such a uncertain market. However, I don't think its part of Sony's core strategy and I'm sure GOW2 will at least turn up as a true next gen spectacle.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:
I’m just gonna say:

Goopy, I demand an apology. Apologize and I will forgive you for past cross gen transgressions :)

I know I've given MS a lot of shit over this and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Truth is this whole cross gen strategy sucks imo and my day was ruined when I heard Sony was doing the same thing. With Spider Man MM it was kinda to be expected. But HFW going cross gen has decimated my excitement for that game. Not sure what happened there, it probably has mostly to do with the pandemic and releasing a new console in such a uncertain market. However, I don't think its part of Sony's core strategy and I'm sure GOW2 will at least turn up as a true next gen spectacle.

Accepted :)

I have my doubts about GOW2. 3 year turn around from the last game and Sony’s messaging issues makes it uncertain at this point. Imo in the end it comes down to money. A brand new install base won’t give you the same returns when you have a 110 million base also. If Sony hurt at all during the pandemic and if they in fact taking a hit on the PS5 hardware I can see this as part of their measures to ensure profitability overall. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

eva01beserk said:
Norion said:

I give it one more gen. This gen will be near photo real, next gen will be near perfect but on full VR. Anything on top of that would be pointless so they will focus on slimming down. Maybe go the sword art online route and have the entire console and vr headset be one and the same. Dont think 8k will be that important yet as 4k saturates most peoples capabilitys. So next gen will be all about 4k120fps VR. Nothing more needed. 

That could be true for rasterization but it'll probably take longer to get perfect realism with stuff like ray tracing. For VR higher resolutions than 4k will be beneficial but at 4k most people will likely be satisfied with that. Either way if people think game visuals look amazing now they're in for a treat by the 2030's.

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

I have my doubts about GOW2. 3 year turn around from the last game and Sony’s messaging issues makes it uncertain at this point. Imo in the end it comes down to money. A brand new install base won’t give you the same returns when you have a 110 million base also. If Sony hurt at all during the pandemic and if they in fact taking a hit on the PS5 hardware I can see this as part of their measures to ensure profitability overall. 

Yeah, who knows anymore lol. I definitely feel like Sony dropped the ball on that one. They did get a lot crap for it so hopefully they'll think twice before they'll make gow2 cross gen too, though.

For me it was always weird how Xbox guys were so ok with the whole cross gen thing, which is why I spend all those months ranting. In the end we all want the same from next gen; great games that wouldn't be possible on the console we already have. If Sony or MS isn't delivering on that front, I really feel we should call them out on it. 

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:

Yeah, who knows anymore lol. I definitely feel like Sony dropped the ball on that one. They did get a lot crap for it so hopefully they'll think twice before they'll make gow2 cross gen too, though.

For me it was always weird how Xbox guys were so ok with the whole cross gen thing, which is why I spend all those months ranting. In the end we all want the same from next gen; great games that wouldn't be possible on the console we already have. If Sony or MS isn't delivering on that front, I really feel we should call them out on it. 

Well I’ve always said it’s never been done where a company makes full use of consoles potential year 1. So logically if it’s never happened make the most of it and expand platform availability. 

Plus many of us are on board with the overall message of nurturing the “ecosystem” and not one console being the sole space for a companies efforts. So long as they do a healthy mix of cross gen and full next gen exclusives, (which is evident on both sides) then I really can’t complain. 

Same practices different gen. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dulfite said:
Norion said:

My head is confused.

He was asking if you can`t see a difference between PS3 to PS4 games or if your can`t see difference between PS4 and X1. Basically he would be agreeing the difference between the multiplats is minimal (and they were very small indeed), but can`t agree that you wouldn`t be able to see the difference even between TLOU on PS3 and PS4.

goopy20 said:
sales2099 said:
I’m just gonna say:

They aren`t doing the same thing. MS said they would have 100% games being crossgen over the next couple years. From this gen it seems like we would get 33% of Sony games over the last couple years being cross gen.

So not the same thing, but yes we can complain about it. I`ll wait to see more on HFW to see how much impact being crossgen will have on the PS5 version. Being a very good dev is possible that HFW will look and play better than any full next gen title by 2021, but that doesn`t mean it couldn`t be better if was only PS5. Let`s pray they are making 2 different games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."