By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and Sackboy confirmed cross-gen

goopy20 said:

I think we shouldn't have to debate whether a game looks next gen or not. We should immediately notice a true generational leap in games and it should be self explanatory why those games wouldn't work on the consoles we already have. Isn't that's the whole point of a new console generation and why not many people upgraded to a mid-gen console?

So far both MS and Sony have done a lackluster job tapping into that next gen magic. MS has told us that their strategy revolves around the player, not the device. Whereas Sony's been telling us all this time they do believe in generation and are doing a complete reset. Sure fanboys can be idiots and I've been banned plenty of times myself for expressing my concerns. Call it concern trolling but the only reason I've been ranting so much is because I don't believe everything scales. I don't believe we'll see true next gen games when developers constantly have to ask themselves "will this work on a jaguar tablet cpu and HDD too?" I believe we should demand both companies to 'wow' and convince us why we should trade in the perfectly fine console we already have and spend $500 bucks on a new one  

Sony seemed to get it when they showed us things like the UE5 demo, Ratchet and HFW. And now Sony guys are all pissed that they seem to backpaddling and do the same thing that got people (like me) to shit on MS so much. 

Two things...

One, I wouldn't put any stock into anyone backpedaling on HFW/SM because they are now known to be cross-gen. Because when the PS5 version of those games were or has been shown not a single person said they didn't look up to snuff. It's a very different thing when looking at Halo infinite in comparison. Or people talking about features that may not be in the as-yet-unreleased HFW game due to PS4 holding it back. How do they know that?

Two, diminishing returns is a thing. You can only make certain things look so good. Take a look at any of the best looking games on the PS4, while compared to first-gen PS5 games you can already see improvements, truth is that its not a night and day difference. It looks obviously better, but not generationally better. And this would be significantly worse when the PS6/XSX2 comes along. Look 6 years ahead and think of whatever the best the PS5/XSX would have to offer, then try thinking about something coming next-next-gen that would put that to shame. Just not gonna happen. 

An example I used before, you can only throw so many polygons and textures at a ball to make it look like a ball. At some int, no matter how many polygons more you add, or how much higher your texture rez is, its not going to make a difference.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
mjk45 said:

It's the price you pay for having AAA first party near launch, take PS4 you had a graphical showcase in Killzone Shadowfall to show off the system but it was  not a game that would sell many millions more if released in the second or 3rd year.

The tendency is to have your bigger titles reaping the benefits of a more mature platform not just from the increased player base but also increased development expertise that comes with time, but in this case we have a two competing aims one being Sony's aim to have a quicker next gen transfer than last gen and having a big game like horizon near launch is part of  their attempt at doing that,maximising sales is another aim, so questions like how many more potential sales would it make being released with a bigger base and can we offset that by cross gen without diluting it's ability to move people across to PS5.

now another factor to help assuage those like me that fear a loss of potential in HFW is that near launch could mean not waiting too long for a 3rd game with nothing to hold it back.

I actually like the idea of they lauching the game near console launch that means they had a lot of time to learn the console on the first game so they can launch one or two games after fully understanding the console.

goopy20 said:

If they make 2 separate versions than everything will be good. But in all honestly, I don't see that happening as it seems like they're doing a simultaneous release for ps4 and ps5. HFW was by far the most impressive Sony showed at their last event and it sure is odd that they didn't show any footage at all this time around. 

Somehow I got a feeling this weird move has a lot to do with them responding to the $299 Series S. I'm guessing they also want to be able to compete with price by dropping ps4 pro to $199 and still have some big releases on there. I just wish they used GT7 instead as HFW seems like the perfect game to showcase the new hardware when it comes to world simulations, level design etc.  

Even MS seems to have figured out that cross gen 1st party games is a terrible idea. They spend a whole year talking about it and getting burned for it. But in the end, Halo seems to be the only game that's still coming to Xbox One... and we all know how that turned out. 

Ahh well, it is what it is. At least Ratchet is a full blown next gen title and Demon Souls also looks insane. I can only hope they're not going to pull the same cross gen crap with GOW2, though. 

Having two versions don`t mean they will or won`t release simultaneously.

Your feeling is quite wrong, as we already know Series S is a thing for like 6 months, so Sony also knew when they first revealed the console so they didn`t made a decision to change those 3 games to be crossgen because of Series S being confirmed. As was posted on the site, HFW was being worked on PS4 already from the start and them moved to be a PS5 title as well. Miles Morales is on a PS4 engine with improvements so no reason to think it wouldn`t be crossgen. Sackboy well it looks more like a PS4 game than even a crossgen. So nothing on that was changed to be a PS4 as well.

MS didn`t figured it was a terrible idea. It is more like they always knew only a handful of games would be ready to release by 2021, and the only noteworthy one was Halo. And that one was being worked for like 5 years with most of the time X1 being the baseline. I would say it was more like MS was trying to get the best PR possible with what they had.

sales2099 said:

MS said 100%, but the reality is different. As far as we know only Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, Psychonauts 2 and Grounded are cross gen. All the other games they announced are next gen only. Everwild, Project Mara, Hellblade 2, Forza, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3

Funny how both Sony and MS said one thing and did the opposite in actuality. Difference is I’m happy with MS doing their flip flop 

Gears Tactics I cross out of the list because it is already release on PC, so they are just holding the console version to release together with Series on launch. And well Grounded would be similar case. Psychonauts I don`t think is a game that would benefit from being only nextgen (Grounded would be the same I guess). The other games don`t have a release date so it can`t be said if they would fall or not inside the timeline MS committed to crossgen so for now it can`t be said anything about them.

I don`t think they are doing the opposite. MS case would be quite easy to solve, instead of saying 100% for the next 2 years they could say just what Sony said this week "we will keep supporting the console for the next couple years (in sony case 3-4 years)" and even say "we will launch crossgen games" or even use "some of our best games to be launched on the next couple years will be crossgen". All those would have generated much less flack than what they said, and also wouldn`t be countered by they making a full nextgen game on that window.

Sony case they didn`t say they wouldn`t have crossgen. They said they believe in gen and also that they wanted fast transition, neither means no crossgen.

goopy20 said:

I think we shouldn't have to debate whether a game looks next gen or not. The whole point of new consoles is that we see a true generational leap in games and that its self explanatory why those games wouldn't work on the consoles we already have.

So far both MS and Sony have done a lackluster job tapping into that next gen magic. MS has told us that their strategy revolves around the player, not the device. Whereas Sony's been telling us all this time they do believe in generation and are doing a complete reset. Sure fanboys can be idiots and I've been banned plenty of times myself for expressing my concerns. Call it concern trolling but the only reason I've been ranting so much is because I don't believe everything scales. I don't believe we'll see true next gen games when developers constantly have to ask themselves "will this work on a jaguar tablet cpu and HDD too?" I believe we should demand both companies to 'wow' and convince us why we should trade in the perfectly fine console we already have and spend $500 bucks on a new one  

Sony seemed to get it when they showed us things like the UE5 demo, Ratchet and HFW. And now Sony guys are all pissed that they seem to backpaddling and do the same thing that got people (like me) to shit on MS so much. 

You were plenty surprised and satisfied by SM:MM and HFW when it wasn`t said they would be crossgen, did they graphics became magically worse after the reveal? If not, if the game release just as or better than when they were announced would that satisfy you?

Well we couldn't really tell what Spider Man looks like until they showed clear gameplay. Don't get me wrong, I watched the gameplay footage in 4k and it is an amazing looking game. It's just that it doesn't look all that different from the ps4 pro version. That's the thing really. We haven't seen much true next gen footage at all, making it hard to compare things.

HFW did look a clear step up from HZD and if the game ends up looking the trailer, I ain't complaining. I'm just afraid that it will look seriously downgraded in the end. Maybe, I'm completely wrong. But if so, then I wonder why they didn't show any new gameplay footage. 

I'm still getting a ps5 and upgrade my pc. But I have to say, the buildup for next gen has been quite underwhelming. I expected a next gen FF to blow my socks off but my socks remained firmly on when they showed it :(

Intrinsic said:
goopy20 said:

I think we shouldn't have to debate whether a game looks next gen or not. We should immediately notice a true generational leap in games and it should be self explanatory why those games wouldn't work on the consoles we already have. Isn't that's the whole point of a new console generation and why not many people upgraded to a mid-gen console?

Two things...

One, I wouldn't put any stock into anyone backpedaling on HFW/SM because they are now known to be cross-gen. Because when the PS5 version of those games were or has been shown not a single person said they didn't look up to snuff. It's a very different thing when looking at Halo infinite in comparison. Or people talking about features that may not be in the as-yet-unreleased HFW game due to PS4 holding it back. How do they know that?

Two, diminishing returns is a thing. You can only make certain things look so good. Take a look at any of the best looking games on the PS4, while compared to first-gen PS5 games you can already see improvements, truth is that its not a night and day difference. It looks obviously better, but not generationally better. And this would be significantly worse when the PS6/XSX2 comes along. Look 6 years ahead and think of whatever the best the PS5/XSX would have to offer, then try thinking about something coming next-next-gen that would put that to shame. Just not gonna happen. 

An example I used before, you can only throw so many polygons and textures at a ball to make it look like a ball. At some int, no matter how many polygons more you add, or how much higher your texture rez is, its not going to make a difference.

Maybe you're right and it would be pretty disappointing if things can't get that much better then what we have now. Still, this looks a true generational leap to me. I think when it comes to stuff like level design, asset variation, world simulations, physics, RT there's still lots of room for improvement.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 20 September 2020

goopy20 said:

Maybe you're right and it would be pretty disappointing if things can't get that much better then what we have now. Still, this looks a true generational leap to me. I think when it comes to stuff like level design, asset variation, world simulations, physics, RT there's still lots of room for improvement.

No doubt, there is a "leap there", but does it look generationally better than say GOW or TLOU2? 

Now take that a step further and think about what the best looking games next-gen consoles would look like. When more games start using quixel type photogrammetry textures we would literally be at a point where we have photorealism. And that's going to happen in this up coming-gen. You can't really get much better than that.

I mean, just look at what was achieved on a 1.8TF console then imagine what they can do with a 10TF console. And then imagine what they would do with 10 - 12TF consoles. By the 10th gen, we aren't going to be looking at another resolution tax, yes, we aren't going to be pushing 8K games, the focus would instead be on things like 4K 120fps. 

Intrinsic said:
goopy20 said:

No doubt, there is a "leap there", but does it look generationally better than say GOW or TLOU2? 

Now take that a step further and think about what the best looking games next-gen consoles would look like. When more games start using quixel type photogrammetry textures we would literally be at a point where we have photorealism. And that's going to happen in this up coming-gen. You can't really get much better than that.

I mean, just look at what was achieved on a 1.8TF console then imagine what they can do with a 10TF console. And then imagine what they would do with 10 - 12TF consoles. By the 10th gen, we aren't going to be looking at another resolution tax, yes, we aren't going to be pushing 8K games, the focus would instead be on things like 4K 120fps. 

I think that can be considered a true generation leap. Games like GOW, TLOU2 already look amazing, but I feel like developers always have to make concessions. Either a game is super detailed with small scale environments or we get open world with bland graphics. Next gen, I'm expecting to see those two things blend in more, resulting in more interesting level design and new experiences. The UE5 showed that off nicely with typical small scale, detailed environments and then flying over it at an epic scale with the same kind of detail.

Also, if you look at RT, a RTX3090 was pushed to its limits running that marbles path tracing demo in 1440p/30fps. It going to be a while before we'll see full blown games on consoles with path tracing. Another thing that I think can improve a lot is VR. It's already quite amazing but if they can make the glasses smaller/ wireless and figure out some work around for motion sickness and have amazing graphics, the potential is insane. Here's a prototype of what VR glasses will probably look like in the near future.

Imo all those things are way more exciting than just 120fps/4k or Cloud gaming on phones. I'm already playing some games in 120fps and I honestly don't see that much of a difference. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 20 September 2020

Around the Network

Oh well it seems at least the PS5 will have a few games which can run in 2160p/60fps. Those will probably also be the last ones on PS5 to do that, excluding small AA games or smaller and remasters of course.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

goopy20 said:
Intrinsic said:

I think that can be considered a true generation leap. Games like GOW, TLOU2 already look amazing, but I feel like developers always have to make concessions. Either a game is super detailed with small scale environments or we get open world with bland graphics. Next gen, I'm expecting to see those two things blend in more, resulting in more interesting level design and new experiences. The UE5 showed that off nicely with typical small scale, detailed environments and then flying over it at an epic scale with the same kind of detail.

Also, if you look at RT, a RTX3090 was pushed to its limits running that marbles path tracing demo in 1440p/30fps. It going to be a while before we'll see full blown games on consoles with path tracing. Another thing that I think can improve a lot is VR. It's already quite amazing but if they can make the glasses smaller/ wireless and figure out some work around for motion sickness and have amazing graphics, the potential is insane. Here's a prototype of what VR glasses will probably look like in the near future.

Imo all those things are way more exciting than just 120fps/4k or Cloud gaming on phones. I'm already playing some games in 120fps and I honestly don't see that much of a difference. 

Horizon: Forbidden West already looks a cut above most games and thats a cross gen game. Demon's Souls remake looks great and thats a launch title. I'm sure God of War: Ragnorok will be the game that will blow people away. But Idd, stuff like TLOU 2 and GOT are already in a league of their own.

Its always like this every gen, wait a few years and the games will really showcase the potential of the hardware.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 September 2020

hinch said:
goopy20 said:

Horizon: Forbidden West already looks a cut above most games and thats a cross gen game. Demon's Souls remake looks great and thats a launch title. I'm sure God of War: Ragnorok will be the game that will blow people away. But Idd, stuff like TLOU 2 and GOT are already in a league of their own.

Its always like this every gen, wait a few years and the games will really showcase the potential of the machine.

Yeah that's probably true. Maybe I have too high expectation but I honestly think we'll see a bigger jump next gen then from ps3 to ps4. We need to keep in mind that the games we've been playing for the past 7 years were heavily cpu bound because of the crappy jaguar cpu. Hell, in some cases the Cell in the ps3 is more capable than what we have now.

It's just a shame that we don't have a couple of those graphical showcase launch titles. Sure, Ryze, Killzone and Infamous weren't the best of games, but they sure were pretty at the time. Ratchet & Clank seems to feel the most next gen from what I've seen. It looks great but well.. its Ratchet and Clank lol

Qwark said:
Oh well it seems at least the PS5 will have a few games which can run in 2160p/60fps. Those will probably also be the last ones on PS5 to do that, excluding small AA games or smaller and remasters of course.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

hinch said:

Its always like this every gen, wait a few years and the games will really showcase the potential of the hardware.

Not saying there isn't a leap, or that what we et this gen won't blow minds. Just saying, that come next-next-gen, things aren't going to be mind-blowing all over again. There really is only so far you can push things.

Well lets wait for Naughty Dog's next game, lol. If they can't impress everyone with their games visually, I doubt any other dev can :P And other stuff down the line.. Well the UE5 demo was impressive and I think will be indicative of whats to come a few years in.