By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon Forbidden West, and Sackboy confirmed cross-gen

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

I can't moreso tell that difference than PS4 to PS5, but the jump from PS2 to PS3 was way bigger than the next two jumps and a lot more noticable.

That is true, and I didn`t say what I said with any ill feeling, I do remember the explanation. Even though I find it strange since even my wife that doesn`t game at all can quickly spot the differences in graphic being better, but I know it is possible that you don`t notice any significant difference (if any at all).

Oh I didn't take it that way! And perhaps I will notice differences in the future, but that one image comparison didn't look any better to me than the original Spider-Man game. I'm open minded to look at other screenshots and my opinion may change, however!

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

That is true, and I didn`t say what I said with any ill feeling, I do remember the explanation. Even though I find it strange since even my wife that doesn`t game at all can quickly spot the differences in graphic being better, but I know it is possible that you don`t notice any significant difference (if any at all).

Oh I didn't take it that way! And perhaps I will notice differences in the future, but that one image comparison didn't look any better to me than the original Spider-Man game. I'm open minded to look at other screenshots and my opinion may change, however!

Sometimes moving makes it better to notice.

If possible use full screen and of course if you have 4k allow it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dulfite said:
hinch said:

Raytracing (real-time reflections) you can see it in the puddle, better PBR materials, higher resolution, higher resolution textures, more light sources and effects, motion blur, better depth of field, more particle and post processing effects.

Edit: And thats from that image, just found out that this game also has raytraced shadows. And I imagine this will also have much better LOD.

I really can't tell which image, overall, looks better. They both look great to me, equally, though I do find the blur to be annoying on my eyes on the bottom image.

This is also a response to the others that responded to me, as multiple took the same perspective. I know there are hardcore people out that look into these innovations and stay up to date, and those people notice these things easily, but most of us (myself included) just play games and don't overthink the technical aspects. I bet less than 1% of gamers even pay attention to Digital Foundry. I literally don't see anything in the bottom image that looks better, let alone significantly better, than the above image. It doesn't look bad, they both look fantastic to me. NES - PS3 graphical improvements were insane, but PS3/360 - PS5/Xbox Series X? Hardly any noticeable improvements to me, and PS4-PS5 so far looks the same to me. You can disagree, I'm not saying you have to have my opinion. But it is my opinion based on what I'm seeing with my eyes.

I find this interesting since while diminishing returns are a thing games today still look way better to me than a decade ago. Have you seen comparisons between the Demon's Souls remake and the original? I think the difference between the two visually is really large. Here's an example.

Norion said:
Dulfite said:

I really can't tell which image, overall, looks better. They both look great to me, equally, though I do find the blur to be annoying on my eyes on the bottom image.

This is also a response to the others that responded to me, as multiple took the same perspective. I know there are hardcore people out that look into these innovations and stay up to date, and those people notice these things easily, but most of us (myself included) just play games and don't overthink the technical aspects. I bet less than 1% of gamers even pay attention to Digital Foundry. I literally don't see anything in the bottom image that looks better, let alone significantly better, than the above image. It doesn't look bad, they both look fantastic to me. NES - PS3 graphical improvements were insane, but PS3/360 - PS5/Xbox Series X? Hardly any noticeable improvements to me, and PS4-PS5 so far looks the same to me. You can disagree, I'm not saying you have to have my opinion. But it is my opinion based on what I'm seeing with my eyes.

I find this interesting since while diminishing returns are a thing games today still look way better to me than a decade ago. Have you seen comparisons between the Demon's Souls remake and the original? I think the difference between the two visually is really large. Here's an example.

Well I did note that PS3-4 had a jump, though not a huge one to me, so it makes sense that 5 compared to 3 would look better. Are these both in game footage?

If so, I'd like to see a comparison of PS4 to 5 or 3 to 4 rather than 3 to 5.

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:

Well I do have a 4k Tova but it only had 60hz, should I do my 1080p laptop that had 300mhz instead?

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:

And I agree, that is why I am disappointed.  But maybe the PS4 version will run like utter crap in order to handle the game.

I have made my peace with it. And how this happening makes sense. HZD was released in Feb 2017. And some sort of work must have stared in part o the sequel that same year with them gong into full production the following year. By 2018, I am sure none of them had anything remotely close to even yet PS5 hardware, they probably just had some lose spec targets. It's easy to see how they would have made the game for an o the PS4, but built in a lot of open ends in their code to allow the shift to and make the most of the PS5. With GOW which probably starts full production in 2019, it's easy to see how or why that game would be PS5 exclusive.

And they could always just run the PS4 version at 900p and the PS4pro version at 1080p. What is clear, however, is that a lot of work has been put into the PS5 version, which is why after it was shown no one thought for a second that "this could be done on the PS4". 

DonFerrari said:

From what I remember he can barely tell the difference between a PS3 and PS4 game.

Well.. guess that makes sense now.

Dulfite said:

I can't moreso tell that difference than PS4 to PS5, but the jump from PS2 to PS3 was way bigger than the next two jumps and a lot more noticable.

Oh... I see what your issue is then. The jumpfromPS2 to PS3 was the last "biggest" jump we will ever see. The jump from the PS4 to the PS5 is jus as big, but not in ways that would be as obvious back then. First, there is the resolution tax. PS2 was 640 x 480 at best. That's 307k pixels. PS3 took that to 921k pixels. That's a 3 times jump. PS3 to PS4 took that to 2M pixels, that's a 2.25x jump. Ps4 to PS5, that's 8M pixels, a 4x jump.

Then now you can layer everything else onto it. You will get higher rez(clearer) textures, more detail on screen, more ( animated) objects on the screen, better AI, more NPCs, better post-processing, better animation, HDR, faster loading, bigger worlds..etc. The amount of extra stuff you get are orders of magnitude apart, but that may be hard to spot if you don't have an eye or appreciation for them. If you don't know that what you are seeing now couldn't b done before. 

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

Well I do have a 4k Tova but it only had 60hz, should I do my 1080p laptop that had 300mhz instead?

Nope lol.. you don't need that. And it won't even make a difference anyway.

Dulfite said:
DonFerrari said:

Silly man... well watch on your TV, bigger the size of the screen easier to see differences as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dulfite said:
Norion said:

Well I did note that PS3-4 had a jump, though not a huge one to me, so it makes sense that 5 compared to 3 would look better. Are these both in game footage?

If so, I'd like to see a comparison of PS4 to 5 or 3 to 4 rather than 3 to 5.

You said PS3/360 - PS5/Xbox Series X had hardly any noticeable improvements to you. Did you mean PS3/360 - PS4/Xbox One? Both are in game yeah, the gameplay trailer for the remake looks the same. For PS4-PS5 both Last of Us games work well for that and for PS3-PS4 Resistance 1 and Killzone Shadow fall should work well since both are launch title FPS games. Another comparison is the recent Unreal Engine 5 demo and old demo for Unreal Engine 4. There is a big difference there.

Guess i'm not buying a PS5 until 2021 when Hogwarts comes out.