By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people think the Ps5 costs more to manufacture?!

Because of 'The Cell'!! *oops wrong gen....

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
shikamaru317 said:

I feel like you meant to say that smaller parts are more expensive than larger parts here, not cheaper? I know that most mini-ITX or mini-ITX friendly parts on PC tend to be more expensive than Micro-ATX or ATX parts. You often pay more for mini-ITX friendly motherboards, RAM, power supplies, GPU's (either single slot GPU's or shortened GPU's), and CPU coolers than you do for Micro-ATX or ATX versions in my experience.

Though I'm not sure how much PS5's thinness could hurt them here. Maybe will need a more expensive CPU cooler and heatsink due to the thin case size combined with the very high GPU clockrate they are using. Needing a thinner power supply could also hurt them possibly. Don't think the thinness on PS5 could hurt them on any other parts besides those 2. They can use as big of a motherboard as they want since the case is huge in height and depth, RAM is integrated into the motherboard on consoles so there are no separate RAM DIMM's with heat spreaders like on PC.

Yeah I correct my OP lol thanks.

And to be clear I don't think it's Sony's fault, as most console have a similar width. I think Microsoft just found a way to make much cheaper consoles by making them so far. Then they are paying less for parts as they aren't micro.

What PS5 inner parts do you think will be “micro” compared to the XSX?

Interesting, never thought of thinner being more expensive. But then how much more expensive were parts for the s or 4?! The ps5 is thinner than the x1sx, but by no means slim.

Also, why not just put the psu outside for burn consoles if it saves heat and cost? Is there a reason why people prefer it all internal?

Hynad said:
Dulfite said:

Yeah I correct my OP lol thanks.

And to be clear I don't think it's Sony's fault, as most console have a similar width. I think Microsoft just found a way to make much cheaper consoles by making them so far. Then they are paying less for parts as they aren't micro.

What PS5 inner parts do you think will be “micro” compared to the XSX?

Graphics card, power supply, ram sticks?

I will just say that if PS5 costed more to make while having 15% less power even while being ordered double quantity would be a very big mistake from Sony, and I don't think they would do it. I think 30-50 less to produce for PS5 versus Series X. If both retail for the same price will only mean Sony is eating less cost.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Do we have a confirmation that PS5 is not a zen 3 NAVI 2?

Since AMD announcing something in October, maybe there is more than the CU numbers.

Fei-Hung said:
Interesting, never thought of thinner being more expensive. But then how much more expensive were parts for the s or 4?! The ps5 is thinner than the x1sx, but by no means slim.

Also, why not just put the psu outside for burn consoles if it saves heat and cost? Is there a reason why people prefer it all internal?

If we would use this logic then when MS claim Series S is smallest Xbox ever then it would cost more than X1X to produce. I don't think anyone would buy this reasoning.

Consoles were always smaller than PCs, but that is because they are specialized systems and have most thing already integrated during manufacturing process. So they can be smaller than mini or micro ATX without resorting to the same type of solution.

Not to forget that the slim consoles are made to be cheaper than the fat ones no more expensive, even though they are a lot smaller. Also not to forget that the APU cost is basically by the size, so having a smaller APU would most likely cost less than having a big one. We can't confuse premium price of PC for different options to the real cost to console manufacturers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Fei-Hung said:
Random_Matt said:
$450 apparently, Dram and nand flash driving up cost.

Any idea what the cost of dram and nand are? 

Couldn't say, fluctuates a lot considering the demand and pandemic. But Bloomberg say $450, and Zhuge says XSX is between $460-$520. So yeah, PS5 will not be $499, I say $449 and potentially $399. The digital could then go $299/$349, Sony could potentially make both Xboxes completely redundant.

jenpol said:
Do we have a confirmation that PS5 is not a zen 3 NAVI 2?

Since AMD announcing something in October, maybe there is more than the CU numbers.

Both consoles are effectively using a mobile 3700X, Navi 2 is very akin to navi 1 with RT slapped on. Of course they have put more CU's in though.

Random_Matt said:
Fei-Hung said:

Any idea what the cost of dram and nand are? 

Couldn't say, fluctuates a lot considering the demand and pandemic. But Bloomberg say $450, and Zhuge says XSX is between $460-$520. So yeah, PS5 will not be $499, I say $449 and potentially $399. The digital could then go $299/$349, Sony could potentially make both Xboxes completely redundant.

That's just the console manufacturing. It increases due to power cord, HDMI cable, Dual Sense controller, Dual Sense charging cord, packaging, shipping, and retailer cut. All of that will add up to $530 at minimum assuming that $450 cost is right.