By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Showcase - Wednesday Sept 16

PotentHerbs said:
Runa216 said:

I think, based on my observation of what they've been talking about all year concerning the PS4's backwards compatibility and general abilities, is that at absolute worse the two versions will be identical but the PS5 version will have longer draw distance and loading. 

I see that as an absolute win. Horizon Zero Dawn was already an outstanding-looking game with great art direction. I don't really think it's a big deal if the games are virtually identical on PS4 and PS5 but with better load times and performance on PS5. People have been programming games like that for ages. Again, I do not know what mystical special magical powers the PS5 has that makes a game like Horizon fundamentally altered. Ratchet & Clank? yeah, the world changing gimmick is awesome. Horizon? Well, unless they're doing a Link To the Past style world alteration thing, I just don't understand the concerns. Plenty of games are cross generational during these transitional times and I was a little disappointed that Sony said they would be cutting the two libraries and keeping them separate. This is better for everyone. On every front. 

I'd love to hear some dissenting arguments but like...people, seriously? This is a good thing. 

I suspect HFW will still be a great sequel because they can improve on many aspects from HZD. Side quests, platforming/climbing, improved human enemies, melee combat, different/new machines, refined RPG elements, building on lore, QoL improvements, etc. The PS5 version will have all of this plus the graphical upgrades, better framerates and instantaneous load times. It will review well, sell phenomenally, and be an absolute show stopper on the PS5. But the SSD + CPU won't truly be utilized to its fullest capabilities. 

If HFW was built from the ground up on the PS5, we could get flying mounts (Guerrilla said they had to scrap this feature because they couldn't stream assets fast enough), aerial battles, faster traversal, bigger and denser worlds with more interior buildings, more complex AI, large scale battles (think of the last mission in HZD but grander), real time geometric terraforming, etc. Things like flying and faster traversal could add to the variety of side missions in HFW (like racing on different mounts) while real time terraforming could add different gameplay loops, like the indication of GAIA like machines without use of HUD, it could open up exploration possibilities, or it could happen during the middle of an encounter. 

It should be assumed that the same game would be super ambitious and not be arriving as soon as Forbidden West is, likely years later. Beyond the actual capability of the hardware, man hours and brainpower is still required to figure out how to programme and execute this stuff, implement it into the engine etc. Such a title could be a 5+ year endevour regardless of the specs of the machine because humans still have to build said game and can't simply rely on the foundations they established in the past. True gameplay shifting change takes time. 

Last edited by Otter - on 18 September 2020

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Hynad said:

HFW and GOW:R aren’t made by the same studios...

I don’t see why Sony can’t release multiple AAA titles in the same year. Especially considering GOW released in 2018. No reason its sequel can’t release 3 years later. It might get delayed, but Sony usually release their games when they’re ready. So if SMS is ready to release it in 2021, it will come out in 2021.

Has nothing to do with the studio's themselves.

Unless HFW is a colossal screw up, it should sell extremely well. Now how much sales will suffer or benefit from it's cross gen release is hard to say, but it should be a really big game for SNY, and could potentially help move some PS5 hardware.

As for GOW:R, it should be a massive seller and should move a ton of PS5 units, unless something goes sideways.

With what went on with TLOU2, I don't see these franchises changing their narrative too much. If the games have serious flaws it'll likely be for other reasons.

Why would you want to drop both those games in the same year, unless you didn't want to give one of those studio's more dev time, or you had mountains of exclusives piling up that you want to get pushed out?

Maybe SNY has their chambers loaded and is ready to draw. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see GOW:R being delayed.

V-r0cK said:

Sounds like you're being the greedy one lol jkk

I'm actually surprised we're getting it for that low and that Sony is nice enough to round down, that's not very common at all. You'd be surprised how many products we get that rounds up and screws us. 

For instance the new iPhone SE is $399US but its $599CAD for us!  Conversion dollar $399US = $526...that's greedy Apple for you...Sony would've charged the iPhone SE to $499 lol.  So ya Sony is looking out for us Canadians :)

Well XBSX is $499 USD and $599 CAD is it not? Does MS not understand numbers and conversion? Well based on their console naming scheme's...

Getting screwed all the time sucks already, but when PS4 did the $100 gap for a time, and now XBSX, why wouldn't SNY do it again? Mostly because Canadians will just politely go along with it. Also because it's launch so what early adopter is going to complain?

It's not the best, but not the worst. It's also why I also pointed out Canada itself is part of the problem. A little more currency value would be nice.

One more reason to wait then. I wouldn't be surprised if PS5 goes CAD$599 next year to compete with XBX.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Intrinsic said:
KratosLives said:
Still disappointed there wasn't a technical showcase showing what's possible next gen. I would have loved demos showing off next gen physics, ai and so on.

Technical showcase? UE5 demo.

But why stop there, they have actually shown games showing what is possible next-gen. Which to me is by far more meaningful than any technical showcase that would show curated demo of things highlighting one feature that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Those technical showcases of old are one of the things I am thankful they did away with this gen.

The unreal demo was basically a visual showcase,  but nothing has really been show that changes the way games can be played, or evolution/revolution if you will. I waned to see what the ps5 brings in terms of what's to be expected of a next gen system, AI that takes gaming to new levels, new levels of physics, the importance of the cpu and what that brings to games, on screen calculatons and the level of on screen action/ with particles/weather effects we can get, examples of ssd and what that brings to game design that's not possible before. I know we got a glimpse with ratchet,  but as a whole, there is alot more they could have shown to show off the true capabilities of next gen. Most of what we got is games coming out on on ps4 and some entry level ray tracing, which quite frankly don't do much than what we currently see. 

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

I get it, you a individual and aren’t part of the pack mentality that did in fact take great pleasure ripping on Xbox cross gen games (thinking Sony wouldn’t dare do the same). I think I have a right to call people out, but if it doesn’t apply to you then np it shouldn’t register to you anyway. 

I’m not saying what Sony did isn’t good for business. It’s literally what Xbox philosophy is so I really can’t complain. I’m just happy they destroyed their legions of fans only real narrative against Xbox. Of course they will still sell more, that wasn’t what I am referring to. 

Btw I see people allready called you out on the Xbox preorder thing, you should have known better and seen the date Xbox announced preorders would begin.

yeah I feel pretty dumb for not knowing better. The more I play it in my head it's kinda clear I misheard him. 

Not necessarily.

PS5 had preorders on ebay for over a month already even without price and release date. So it isn't impossible that a retailer would take pre-order even before MS have opened them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:

Says who? Grounded and Halo Infinite, and Psychonauts 2. Forza Horizon 5 is a maybe (not announced yet). 3 games. 

Flight Sim, Everwild, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Forza Motorsport are not cross gen. That’s just 1st party i won’t list the 3rd party ones that aren’t cross gen. 

If you gonna say propaganda, at least do some homework on the subject. 

I am only obviously talking about 1st party.

Propaganda? Says who?

From Phil Spencer the head of Xbox Himself

First link has his interview where he speaks on how he sees gen exclusivity, platforms being held back as memes...etc second link is them pledging support for the XB1 with cross-gen games for the next couple of years.

You've given a fine list, now can you show me anywhere that is said that those games are exclusive to the series X? Unless you do, there is no reason to not assume, as per what Phil himself has said, that they would also be on the XB1, if they are releasing in the next "couple of years" that is.

I don't do propaganda bro, nor makeup shit. I just say it as it is.

But if all that is going to be cross-gen are the 3 games you mentioned? Then surely like sony MShas a messaging problem too, cause they sure as hell has led everyone to believe that everything released into 202 would be cross-gen.

Well the problem with his list is that they don't even have release date. Plus there are exclusives (which well MS have control over) that won't release on X1 and is 2021 title... but well you won't see MS fanbase complaining of MS messaging or calling Phil out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
V-r0cK said:

Sounds like you're being the greedy one lol jkk

I'm actually surprised we're getting it for that low and that Sony is nice enough to round down, that's not very common at all. You'd be surprised how many products we get that rounds up and screws us. 

For instance the new iPhone SE is $399US but its $599CAD for us!  Conversion dollar $399US = $526...that's greedy Apple for you...Sony would've charged the iPhone SE to $499 lol.  So ya Sony is looking out for us Canadians :)

Well XBSX is $499 USD and $599 CAD is it not? Does MS not understand numbers and conversion? Well based on their console naming scheme's...

Getting screwed all the time sucks already, but when PS4 did the $100 gap for a time, and now XBSX, why wouldn't SNY do it again? Mostly because Canadians will just politely go along with it. Also because it's launch so what early adopter is going to complain?

It's not the best, but not the worst. It's also why I also pointed out Canada itself is part of the problem. A little more currency value would be nice.

I'm not saying anything against Xbox....  

Sure would be nice if it was $599 too. But wonder if maybe because its a Japanese product that there's more additional cost to it that Canada has implemented recently? Who knows.

The point is that Sony (and MS too) have priced it less than the conversion in which most cases I usually it get rounded up when other companies do so.  So just be glad that it's less is all I'm saying. 

I miss gen 7 when our consoles and games were the same price as the US, but that was when our dollar was around the same or even higher than the US at one point.  Now our dollar sucks again -_-

V-r0cK said:
EricHiggin said:

Sure would be nice if it was $599 too. But wonder if maybe because its a Japanese product that there's more additional cost to it that Canada has implemented recently? Who knows.

The point is that Sony (and MS too) have priced it less than the conversion in which most cases I usually it get rounded up when other companies do so.  So just be glad that it's less is all I'm saying. 

I miss gen 7 when our consoles and games were the same price as the US, but that was when our dollar was around the same or even higher than the US at one point.  Now our dollar sucks again -_-

I've just noticed that XBS will be $380. So just 80 of difference. O_O

Kudos to MS.

And I miss the age when consoles were considered cheap gaming. I wish gens took longer so the tech could get less expensive for consoles. Even with inflation, a $500 console feels expensive. Particularly in pandemic year.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
V-r0cK said:

Kudos to MS.

And I miss the age when consoles were considered cheap gaming. I wish gens took longer so the tech could get less expensive for consoles. Even with inflation, a $500 console feels expensive. Particularly in pandemic year.

Consoles shouldn't be under a 1000. We are lagging behind in the game industry. Next gen isn't even here yet there are far greater gpu/cpu's in the market. And sadly part of the problem if people paying for cheap consoles. For a 6 to 7 year investment, that's a shame. I don't know why sony and microsoft even bothered releasing next gen this early. They could have gone another 2 years easy. Atleast then we could have had say 32 gigs ram and a better gpu/cpu, considering what they have showed off so far isn't that different than current gen.

0D0 said:

Kudos to MS.

Ya the difference in S isn't that much at all.  I'm surprised MS didn't price the S to $399 since $299US=$395CAD.  If the S had a disc drive and exclusives I'd want to play I would buy the S in a heartbeat.

Consoles can definitely sound expensive but when you think about how each console lasts you about a decade long, that's quite the bargain.  $500/10yrs is just $50 a year, that doesn't looks so bad now does it? :P

V-r0cK said:
0D0 said:

Kudos to MS.

Ya the difference in S isn't that much at all.  I'm surprised MS didn't price the S to $399 since $299US=$395CAD.  If the S had a disc drive and exclusives I'd want to play I would buy the S in a heartbeat.

Consoles can definitely sound expensive but when you think about how each console lasts you about a decade long, that's quite the bargain.  $500/10yrs is just $50 a year, that doesn't looks so bad now does it? :P

Me too. The only thing that's holding me picking up an S is the lack of disc. I still feel uncomfortable with that.

And I agree about the 10 year investment think, in terms of overall devices, consoles are still the cheapest. But most people don't see that way, they only see the price tag, and consoles had a below 500 price tag for ever and they used to have lots of price cuts. Full game price is still 60 tho.

Tech is supposed to get cheaper. Laptops used to be more expensive, not any more. Anyone can find a very cheap laptop.

Consoles are still kinda cheap, but they used to be very cheap, easy to just impulse buy, like a cheap laptop or a cheap tablet, but not any more I think.

Perhaps it's time to have more console versions with multiple price ranges, like we have with tablets and even phones. (I know that gaming dev is not the same as app dev. I'm just thinking out loud at this point)

God bless You.