By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Showcase - Wednesday Sept 16

I think many people just assumed they meant 100% of titles. Sony themselves said they want to support PS4 for 3-4 years. Does that mean all PS5 titles will be cross gen for 3 years? Of course not. People know better but assumed the worst for Xbox. 

Frankly I think haters/pessimists and people generally not invested in Xbox in general decided to take the 1-2 year quote and interpret it as “All Xbox exclusives for 2 years will be cross gen” AKA “Xbox bad PlayStation good”. 

That was the point I tried to make as well but was ignored.  At the most 8 games possibly affected by this but I think it will be closer to 4 games.  A mountain out of a mole hill for 3 months for nothing.  I also thought it was good business with the approach and consumer friendly.  Win win.  More profit for the software sold on a larger install base, and no hurry to upgrade during the transition period.  

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

I think many people just assumed they meant 100% of titles. Sony themselves said they want to support PS4 for 3-4 years. Does that mean all PS5 titles will be cross gen for 3 years? Of course not. People know better but assumed the worst for Xbox. 

Frankly I think haters/pessimists and people generally not invested in Xbox decided to take the 1-2 year quote and interpret it as “All Xbox exclusives for 2 years will be cross gen” AKA “Xbox bad PlayStation good”. Good riddance to this narrative now that both companies are on the same page now. 

DroidKnight said:

That was the point I tried to make as well but was ignored.  At the most 8 games possibly affected by this but I think it will be closer to 4 games.  A mountain out of a mole hill for 3 months for nothing.  I also thought it was good business with the approach and consumer friendly.  Win win.  More profit for the software sold on a larger install base, and no hurry to upgrade during the transition period.  

Well I don't know why people would just assume the worst for Xbox though. I mean, sony says this with every gen, we will support this for 10 years and whatnot. And they are doing it now. While as was the case in the past that has never meant that everything releasing or he next two years of the new-gen also makes it way to the older gen, it has meant that the older gen still gets a game or two here and there. Hell, Persona 5 eve was on the PS3 in 2016.

I think what got everyone thinking as the did about the XSX/S was MS tagging the whole we don't believe in generations thing right along with our first-party games will be cross gen for the next "couple" years thing. That just comes across like everything will be cross-gen.

Truth is I don't even care if any company makes everything cross-gen. My thing is that it should at the very least be new-gen exclusive for a while unless that company actually doesn't care of getting people onto their new console.

I enjoyed it. Preordered a disc console asap and I lucked out!

I finally got to watch it again. My favorite showings were Oddworld, Demon Souls, and the Harry Potter game. I thought the pacing was good. Best part of the presentation was the gameplay and finally got plenty of it. Overall I'd give it a solid 9/10.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Hynad said:
EricHiggin said:

I also can't believe HFW and GOW:R will launch in the same year even if HFW isn't next gen exclusive. That says to me either HFW isn't going to be that spectacular and a minimal upgrade over HZD, or SNY has a full roster of exclusives just waiting to be announced. Either that or GOW eventually get's delayed until 2022.

HFW and GOW:R aren’t made by the same studios...

I don’t see why Sony can’t release multiple AAA titles in the same year. Especially considering GOW released in 2018. No reason its sequel can’t release 3 years later. It might get delayed, but Sony usually release their games when they’re ready. So if SMS is ready to release it in 2021, it will come out in 2021.

Has nothing to do with the studio's themselves.

Unless HFW is a colossal screw up, it should sell extremely well. Now how much sales will suffer or benefit from it's cross gen release is hard to say, but it should be a really big game for SNY, and could potentially help move some PS5 hardware.

As for GOW:R, it should be a massive seller and should move a ton of PS5 units, unless something goes sideways.

With what went on with TLOU2, I don't see these franchises changing their narrative too much. If the games have serious flaws it'll likely be for other reasons.

Why would you want to drop both those games in the same year, unless you didn't want to give one of those studio's more dev time, or you had mountains of exclusives piling up that you want to get pushed out?

Maybe SNY has their chambers loaded and is ready to draw. Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised to see GOW:R being delayed.

V-r0cK said:
EricHiggin said:

Ya I know, but during the PS4 gen there was a time when it was only $100 extra and it should have been quite a bit more, yet SNY just ate it.

I also understand they are eating some now, which is why it would be nice if Canada could drum up some value and fix it.

Sounds like you're being the greedy one lol jkk

I'm actually surprised we're getting it for that low and that Sony is nice enough to round down, that's not very common at all. You'd be surprised how many products we get that rounds up and screws us. 

For instance the new iPhone SE is $399US but its $599CAD for us!  Conversion dollar $399US = $526...that's greedy Apple for you...Sony would've charged the iPhone SE to $499 lol.  So ya Sony is looking out for us Canadians :)

Well XBSX is $499 USD and $599 CAD is it not? Does MS not understand numbers and conversion? Well based on their console naming scheme's...

Getting screwed all the time sucks already, but when PS4 did the $100 gap for a time, and now XBSX, why wouldn't SNY do it again? Mostly because Canadians will just politely go along with it. Also because it's launch so what early adopter is going to complain?

It's not the best, but not the worst. It's also why I also pointed out Canada itself is part of the problem. A little more currency value would be nice.

Around the Network

I wanted to view some PS3 with PS5 comparisons of Demon's Souls and came across this video.  There is no commentary just some violin music in the background, but I found this fascinating.  Video depicts some side by side shots as well as some posted notes in vid pointing out some of the add-ins and effects.  

DroidKnight said:

I wanted to view some PS3 with PS5 comparisons of Demon's Souls and came across this video.  There is no commentary just some violin music in the background, but I found this fascinating.  Video depicts some side by side shots as well as some posted notes in vid pointing out some of the add-ins and effects.  

[Snip - YT video]

Looks so good, and much improved over the original PS3 version. The improved animations and graphics really do show.. I'm mostly looking forward to no load times myself lol. 100% picking this up at launch.

Still disappointed there wasn't a technical showcase showing what's possible next gen. I would have loved demos showing off next gen physics, ai and so on.

KratosLives said:
Still disappointed there wasn't a technical showcase showing what's possible next gen. I would have loved demos showing off next gen physics, ai and so on.

Technical showcase? UE5 demo.

But why stop there, they have actually shown games showing what is possible next-gen. Which to me is by far more meaningful than any technical showcase that would show curated demo of things highlighting one feature that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Those technical showcases of old are one of the things I am thankful they did away with this gen.

DroidKnight said:

That SSD speed gets me every time. Personally think its the one standout feature of next-gen. Underrated, but stand out none the less.

To put it into perspective from this comparison alone... DS PS3 as running on around 489MB of RAM. DS PS5 on at least 13GB. The load within the level took 10 seconds+ on PS3. Under 1 second on PS5.