Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware August 30 to September 5

OTBWY said:
Yeah the Switch is going over the special mythical number 64. Right around the time they rerelease Mario 64. Also the PS4 really is low, they can at least price drop it before the PS5 comes out.

Why would they this year? They should wait until at least next year.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

The switch may very well outsell the best year of the DS

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I might be being lazy asking this, but how many of NSW sales come from the mini? Either this year or lifetime

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
I might be being lazy asking this, but how many of NSW sales come from the mini? Either this year or lifetime

LTD shipments by June 2020: 8.81m of 61.44m Switch consoles have been Lites.

Shipments for the past four quarters since the Lite launched: 8.81m for Lite, 15.76m for regular Switch.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Was the DS ever hit with the kind of shortages in its peak the way the Switch is now?

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Was the DS ever hit with the kind of shortages in its peak the way the Switch is now?

Yes. The system was supply constrained in Japan despite regularly putting up weekly numbers north of 100k; its peak year in Japan is above 8m. After the holiday rush in the USA the system was unavailable for a couple of weeks, resulting in weak January sales of a good 200k units in four weeks.

What's hurting Switch is its SKU split where Nintendo severely underestimated demand for the regular Switch. The DS was more straight-forward to produce with exclusively the DS Lite until 2008 (I think) when the DSi got introduced. That was a lot easier to balance than Switch.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

The 300k+ streak for the Switch continues!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

345k with no major release and with supply constraints is fucking insane.
Did PS4 ever pull these kind of numbers outside the holidays and without a big game or new model?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 vs Xbox One Sales Comparison Charts Through September 5

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2017 – (Week ending January 7 to September 9)

2018 – (Week ending January 6 to September 8)

2019 – (Week ending January 5 to September 7)

2020 – (Week ending January 4 to September 5)

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

"Year to date" sales for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2020 versus 2019 and 2020 versus 2018 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Up Year-on-Year 144,051 (7.2%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 7,061,575 (88.8%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 676,719 (-67.1%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 1,005,637 (-12.5%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Again, thanks for the work on these posts.

The Switch hitting 15 millions by September! That's insane, what other consoles have done this outside of the DS and Wii?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.