By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 36, 2020 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)

Tagged games:

2019 had the Switch surpass the PS4 by quite a bit in HW, but 3rd party sales remain weak.

Switch 2019- 5.9m
PS4 2019- 7.9m

2020 should be a big win for Switch with the HW lead for the entire year. 2021 is no contest, easy Switch win.

Around the Network
noshten said:
  • Square, Capcom, Marvelous could potentially shake things up with Monster Hunter, Rune Factory 5, and Bravely Default 2

Until there is clarity on what else is launching in 2020, I won't be making a prediction for the end of year totals, but the Switch should be around 20M software without a Monster Hunter, Bravely, Rune Factory 5 releasing. 

At this point it seems most likely that Bravely Default II, Rune Factory 5, and (if it exists) Monster Hunter Switch will be 2021 releases.

With the way the wind is blowing in Japan, it's hard to imagine third party support for Switch NOT improving from here on out.
I mean, half-hearted support might've been defensible when the system was unproven, but at this point...

(Plus, with a lot of games taking 3 years or so to make these days, Switch projects begun in 2018 when the system had shown itself to be a contender should be coming to fruition soon)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 September 2020

Looks like Ring Fit Adventure is consistently the top Switch game everywhere right now. I would guess that means that Nintendo really amped up production of it.

They are also probably stockpiling units for the holidays, the game is going to explode this year as expected with the Chinese launch hopefully solving some of the scalper problems we've been seeing.

Around the Network

Globally, Ring Fit should join the 10 million plus club eventually, if they provide enough stock for that to happen.

As far as Japan goes, the fact it's ahead of Animal Crossing on the charts is just insane.

On Amazon Japan all the Switch SKUs just shot up the rankings all over the place. Keep in mind, this is the week that Super Mario 3D All Stars is supposed to come out - Which will be on Week 38 (2 more weeks from this one.) 

I think Week 37 will see a very noticeable spike in sales and then Week 38 is when it will just EXPLODE.

Yep, similar thing across some other retailers

Chris on Resetera posted Yodobashi, MrMax has also big shipments for lotteries this week. Ring Fit Adventure is being bundled with the Switch, this week Ring Fit might be over 100K sales.

Switch + Ring Fit Adventure - 1000
Switch - 1170
Switch Lite - 270
Ring Fit Adventure - 570

First Week:
PS5 - 215k
PS5 DE - 90k

PS5 Total - 305k

XSX - 14k
XSS - 8k

XSXS Total - 22k
--------------------------
First Month:
PS5 - 365k
PS5 DE - 140k

PS5 Total - 505k

XSX - 23.5k
XSS - 10k

XSXS Total - 33.5k

[First Week:]
PS5: 250k
PS5 DE: 85k

PS5 Total: 335k

XSX: 23k
XSS: 8k

XSXS Total: 31k

[First Month:]
PS5: 345k
PS5 DE: 120k

PS5 Total: 465k

XSX: 29k
XSS: 12k

XSXS Total: 41k

Not really sure about the ratios for PS4 DE and XSS, Japan usually likes their physical games a lot, but the lower price tag might still convince a bunch.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat