By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Confirmed launch titles for Xbox Series X | S

hinch said:
JWeinCom said:

Probably.

What was the PS2's killer app? X-Box 360? Nintendo DS? PS4? PS3? 

If you're saying "what has this world come to", it implies that past systems have always, or at least usually, had killer apps available at launch.

So, how are you defining killer app, and what have those killer apps been for past systems? If you can't come up with a decent answer to that, then the comment kind of seems trolly.

The PS2 actually had a very strong launch. A lot of which were exclusive.

Most other consoles I agree. Not the OG Xbox (Halo CE) mind and most definitely not the PS2. He was a bit hyperbolic though. The new Xbox launch lineup is looking like one of the weaker Xbox launches in recent history - particularly if you count new first/second party or exclusive third party games.

The specific claim was that launching without a killer app is something unusual. I'm not seeing the killer app on the PS2 lineup. The only one you could sort of argue for is Tekken Tag Tournament. And even if there was, we'd still have to show that consoles launching with killer apps is the norm and the PS2 is not the exception.

Around the Network

Technically EA Play and it’s games will be available launch day. Provided you have Game Pass. Still, that’s some nice value in place of heavy hitters.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

axumblade said:
You have Yakuza listed twice.

Honestly, I don't think anything I am looking forward to is coming until The Medium but we still have 2 months that can change things. Valhalla looks great and I might be playing games I skipped this gen for whatever reason on Gamepass.

Thanks. Already corrected.

@JWeinCom

I don't know Tekken and Street Fighter were pretty big franchises ins that era. They certainly were console sellers back then. I know I bought a PS2 back in the day for those, plus Timesplitters. But you're probably right, console launches are usually quite weak and don't usually come with a killer app from out of the gate.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 September 2020

hinch said:

@JWeinCom

I don't know Tekken and Street Fighter were pretty big franchises back then. They certainly were console sellers back then. I know I bought a PS2 back in the day for those, plus Timesplitters. But you're probably right, console launches are usually quite weak and don't usually come with a killer app from out of the gate.

This ain't Street Fighter, this is Street Fighter EX. Definitely not a system seller. Sold under a million by our numbers.

You could make a better argument for Tekken Tag Tournament which sold about 4 million, but to me that's kind of pushing the definition of killer app. Also, debatable about whether that should count as an exclusive, as it'd been out at arcades for about a year by the time PS2 launched.

Again though, you can argue that the launch lineup is pretty weak, and weaker than the PS2. I'd probably agree on both of those. But to argue that this is some kind of unprecedently bad launch is a different argument that smacks of trolling.

Around the Network

Now you're accusing of trolling. I was just replying to the PS2 launch lineup not being garbo. But sure whatever... Leaving this topic.

Let me clarify. If neither the ps5 or series x launch without a game that shows off what next gen is all about, somethimg impressive not seen on current gen, coud be graphics, physics, Ai , then it's a failure in my opinion.

Has there ever been a game that demoed what a next gen console is capable of, on launch window?
And for a full admission price?
Except Halo:CE. Everything else I can think of are useless tech demos.

Series X got Bright Memory: Infinite on launch day, which is the most impressive looking game that will be released this year. It has some crazy physics and Ray Tracing implementation. Gears 5 is supposed to receive an impressive update as well.

Goatseye said:
Has there ever been a game that demoed what a next gen console is capable of, on launch window?

Series X got Bright Memory: Infinite on launch day, which is the most impressive looking game that will be released this year. It has some crazy physics and Ray Tracing implementation. Gears 5 is supposed to receive an impressive update as well.

My memory isn't as good,  but the ps3 got resistance and motorstorm, ps4 had  killzone, ps5 has demon souls and spiderman, god fall doesn't seem appealing to me,  though what I have seen of demon souls looks like it could be done on current gen.

Goatseye said:

No. Bright Memory: Infinite will launch in 2021. XSX|S will got Bright Memory:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_Memory

I think the most impressive looking game this year on next gens will be Demon's Souls remake.