By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the best looking next-gen console?

What's the best looking next-gen console?

Playstation 5 Physical 11 11.46%

Playstation 5 Digital 25 26.04%

Xbox Series X 50 52.08%

Xbox Series S 10 10.42%

Total:96
OhNoYouDont said:
I'm surprised so many people enjoy the boring cube but to each his or her own.

See to me it doesn't look boring at all. It's actually quite unique in that I can't think of any other console that resembles it in shape.

Plus, it's resemblance to a cooling tower (which is actually exactly what it is) plus its uniform dark finish really project the impression of a powerful, serious piece of kit.

By contrast, the speaker bit kinda ruins the otherwise nice looking Series S, while the PS5's two-tone colour scheme kinda clashes with itself.

Around the Network

series x is literally a box!
a subwoofa and series s is a speaker haha!
while ps5 is massive pile of shiz so...
if u wanna save space go for the boxes but if u have space then go for the spaceships ps5!

Series X, easily.

I do feel though the PS5 suffers from it's current colour scheme. the black and red PS5 shika posted looks worlds better than the blue/white. I feel as though it's more brave design scheme is also going to age rather poorly but the revisions mid generation will offset.

I really don't like the look of the series S. Worst of the bunch. It's that odd speaker. Why? Even though I can appreciate it's small form factor and price... I feel like they need to do something with that fan.

After seeing the unboxing for Xbox Series X|S, Series S looks much better than I thought. In fact, Series S is the only system out of the four that looks natural sitting flat like a traditional console.

Overall I still like Series X the most. PS5D looks kind of nice and symmetrical, but still too big and gaudy for my tastes. Base PS5 just looks like PS5D but with a tumour; no secret which system they're pushing you to buy.

The PS5 from day one reminded me of the statue that Marie made in the tv show Everybody Loves Raymond.  I personally don't mind the look, I'm more concerned about how large it is (that's what she said). I'll be getting the disk version even though it's uglier than this one.  But it doesn't matter, I won't be staring at it when I'm gaming.  The Series X design appeals to me the most and hopefully I can pre-order both systems before they run out.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Xbox Series X.
It's dark, imposing tower design just screams power, plus of the four it looks the most neat and tidy.

I second that.

The PS5 is not ugly, but the Xbox Series X has a powerful look.

EricHiggin said:

It's because people tend to prefer bland and safe over lively and dangerous. The PS5 is a departure from what's normal for console design aesthetics. The XBSX kinda is, but not really, because it's just a taller, blander, more grown up version of a Gamecube. The XBSX seems more normal. The PS5 seems foreign.

The color scheme also comes into play. Black is the safest choice period. White or grey is ok but not as universal. Two tone isn't the norm. Past consoles have had things like the XB jewel at the center or chrome trim, but were otherwise one color. The only other somewhat recent console I can think of that was two tone is the XB1S, but the slim black bottom works because it's hidden underneath. Much like how the grey sides of the 360 were basically hidden. The XB1 and PS4 even had gloss and matte black, and while some liked it, some didn't. Just like the XBSS. Some like it, some don't, and it's partially because of the obvious two tone. PS5's two tone is blatant and in your face. Some people really aren't going to like that. I myself will wait for a non white version, or will paint the white portions if I have to. While I think the two tone pops and is cool looking in general, especially as a presentation piece, I don't want it in my entertainment center.

I think the younger you are, the more likely you're going to much prefer the PS5 design because of the wow factor. Kids don't really care about home decor. My 18 year old self and younger, would have thought the PS5 was amazing and XBSX was pretty meh.

Are you saying I'm old?? Jokes aside I see your point, my favorite console design is the black Wii and the Wii U a very close second because of the minimalistic design.

I know... my English sucks.

Um, 3 look terrible and one looks bad.

DroidKnight said:

The PS5 from day one reminded me of the statue that Marie made in the tv show Everybody Loves Raymond.  I personally don't mind the look, I'm more concerned about how large it is (that's what she said). I'll be getting the disk version even though it's uglier than this one.  But it doesn't matter, I won't be staring at it when I'm gaming.  The Series X design appeals to me the most and hopefully I can pre-order both systems before they run out.

Oh my god. I figured I was the only one who thought of Everybody Loves Raymond  

For me, I guess I'd go Series X > Series S > PS5 Digital > PS5 Disc Drive. Series S would jump ahead of Series X if not for the hot plate look.

Honestly; they're all quite horrible looking. I'll have to hide my new consoles whenever someone comes over.