By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5 All-Digital, does Xbox have a legitimate chance of outselling PS5 this gen?

If Xbox Series S is 100$ cheaper than PS5, could Xbox Outsell PS5?

Yes, Xbox is the favorite to win 9 5.77%

Yes, it's possible 36 23.08%

Unlikely 60 38.46%

No chance 51 32.69%

Total:156
Intrinsic said:
kirby007 said:

oh you again eh? i wonder why i even bother with this but here i go : having a XSX run native 4k vs upscaling 1080p or whatever the XSS will run is still better, same experience bit still beter.
it doesn't change the power narrative at all, it just gives people options

Honestly, I think you just like getting into spats with me even though what I am saying isn't really ever however you seem to take it :)

You are right, "it give options", but I am also right, it does change the power narrative. I never said it doesn't give options, and I don't know why it has to be one or the other. Why not both?

But here is why it changes the power narrative. You have a 12TF console for what is likely going to be $499. And a 4TF digital-only console for what is $299. So basically a high end and a low end "option" from the company that has made all its "official" marketing this far be about 4K@120fps and the most powerful console ever bla bla bla.

On the other hand, you have a PS5 digital console that is likely going to be $399 and a PS5 disc console that will likely be $449/$499. Both consoles are identical with the only difference between that one has a disc drive and the other doesn't. 

How does MS justify a 2.5x GPU power gap, 1.6x RAM gap, 1.6x storage gap with a $100 price difference between the XSS and the PS5D? While at the same time saying that for $100 more, you get a console that only has a 1.17x GPU power gap and disc drive between it and that $399 PS5D. The thing is, the XSS actually ends up making the PS5D seem to be of a better and higher value. 

Imagine you are a neutral.nd you walk into a store and want to get the best deal you can get. So you are going in for the "budget" next-gen consoles. It becomes clear that getting the XSS is like getting a watered-down Xbox. But getting a PS5D is just like getting the best PS5 but without a disc drive. That $100 you would save i you buy an XSS doesn't look like saving anymore, but rather looks like a stupid choice, because fora$100 more, you get something that is as good as the $200 more expensive XSX.

MS s giving choices, but so is sony. You don't have to take my word for it or argue with me on this, If I am wrong at the end of the day I will fess up to it. But wait and see, in time you will see what I mean. I have said it a long time ago, a $299 xbox, a $399 PS5 and a $499 xbox, is the last thing MS would want, that basically puts that $399 PS5 in the Goldilocks zone. Now if that PS5 is not $399 but instead $449? Then yes, this plays out in MS favor at the end.

I have said that MS strategy of cheaper and most powerful could leave a big opening for Sony to come in the middle and give the most conscious choice with the best balance of cost and benefits. With Series S serving to anchor PS5 (now discless, because when I started saying this like 6 months ago there was no rumour of discless PS5) and make it even more attractive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It depens on what you mean by "substantial".  Gamepass is the kind of thing that could give Microsoft an advantage for a whole generation.  Yes, Sony can eventually adapt, but they'd be at a significant disadvantage for the whole generation.  It is very much like Microsoft's internet service.  They were seen as having the better service during Generation 7 and so they gained a lot of ground on Sony compared to Generation 6.  Once the PS4 was released this advantage disappeared, because Sony had caught up.  Gamepass is the same thing.  If it takes off, then it can give XBox a significant advantage for the rest of the generation.

No. Not at all. Gamepass is just what sony does with PS+ on steroids. Giving ou free games every month, and if you download them its yours forever as long as you have an active subscription.

Gamepass just builds up that library vs sony taking them off every month they add new games. But like with PS+, you still have to have an active subscription to access whatever you got via gamepass.

This is not about better services or anything like that, its simply about depth of software and a delivery method or service as this case may be. That's why this is easily adaptable. All sony literally has to do to match games pass, is have a library of games that are instantly available to you once you sign up for PS+, say all the games they have released on the service over the last like 4 years, and then release their first-party games on the service on day one so as long as you have the service you don't have to go out and buy the games. As I said, easily adaptable.

But sony will not do this because they don't need to do this. MS on the other hand does. And as I said before (feels like I am always repeating myself), if MS just came off a gen where they had at least one first-party game every year selling like 10M units (at least after a year n market), they wouldn't be doing it either.

I think MS is doing better than last time, but still not a big mic drop. People disliked their Halo showing, it got pushed back and now has 0 first party at launch. Now the Xbox series S got leaked and didn't do that much noise.

Sony will win atleast the launch for sure, but i'm curious to see the price of the PS5 and what they will show further. Feels like there isn't much hype for the launch on both parts (at least to me) and it's launching in 3 months.

Intrinsic said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It depens on what you mean by "substantial".  Gamepass is the kind of thing that could give Microsoft an advantage for a whole generation.  Yes, Sony can eventually adapt, but they'd be at a significant disadvantage for the whole generation.  It is very much like Microsoft's internet service.  They were seen as having the better service during Generation 7 and so they gained a lot of ground on Sony compared to Generation 6.  Once the PS4 was released this advantage disappeared, because Sony had caught up.  Gamepass is the same thing.  If it takes off, then it can give XBox a significant advantage for the rest of the generation.

No. Not at all. Gamepass is just what sony does with PS+ on steroids. Giving ou free games every month, and if you download them its yours forever as long as you have an active subscription.

Gamepass just builds up that library vs sony taking them off every month they add new games. But like with PS+, you still have to have an active subscription to access whatever you got via gamepass.

This is not about better services or anything like that, its simply about depth of software and a delivery method or service as this case may be. That's why this is easily adaptable. All sony literally has to do to match games pass, is have a library of games that are instantly available to you once you sign up for PS+, say all the games they have released on the service over the last like 4 years, and then release their first-party games on the service on day one so as long as you have the service you don't have to go out and buy the games. As I said, easily adaptable.

But sony will not do this because they don't need to do this. MS on the other hand does. And as I said before (feels like I am always repeating myself), if MS just came off a gen where they had at least one first-party game every year selling like 10M units (at least after a year n market), they wouldn't be doing it either.

I believe you are oversimplifying.  The difficulty is not only in the technology.  Microsoft is making all of their first party games available to gamepass on day 1.  That means this is a new business model.  It's a new business model that very well may crash and burn.  Or it may prove to be very successful.  But if it does end up successful then that will give Microsoft a hell of a head start against Sony.  The first year of a console's life is it's most important.  A strong start during the first year means Microsoft will probably be strong for the whole generation.  Or a really weak start probably means they are going to have a rough time all generation.

DonFerrari said:

I have said that MS strategy of cheaper and most powerful could leave a big opening for Sony to come in the middle and give the most conscious choice with the best balance of cost and benefits. With Series S serving to anchor PS5 (now discless, because when I started saying this like 6 months ago there was no rumour of discless PS5) and make it even more attractive.

Exactly. Thats the same point I am making.

If this was what MS was going to do all along, they should have put the XSS at the forefront of all their marketing. Been pushing the narrative that upscaled 1440p to 4K is ideal for next-gen and that you get into next-gen at a lower price of $299. They should have been silent on anything teraflop related as they have been with the XSS. And still pushed their SSD talk.

Then around this time, after the PS5 has been revealed, boom. Make an announcement for your 12TF premium console. And market it as such, a premium console. 

But now, what they have done is push power to the forefront of every next-gen gamers' head. They have sold that narrative. Only to turn around and also have the weakest console of all the next-gen offerings. Which literally is like them saying, "yeah, you know that power thing we have been saying? well, its no real that important".

And just like that, the PS5 which basically has just the one spec (outside that one has a disc drive and the other doesn't), just suddenly starts looking better than it really is.

And as always, as is always the case, the real price battle wil always be fought amongst the most budget-friendly hardware. In this case, that is the $299 XSS vs the $399 PS5D. (well, unless of course the PS5D is going to b $449, but I really am leaving towards PS5D being $399 and the PS5 being $449.), and if that is the case, I expect MS o try and match the $449 PS5 price with the XSX, I think that is what this whole price chess thing they have been doing has always been about. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I believe you are oversimplifying.  The difficulty is not only in the technology.  Microsoft is making all of their first party games available to gamepass on day 1.  That means this is a new business model.  It's a new business model that very well may crash and burn.  Or it may prove to be very successful.  But if it does end up successful then that will give Microsoft a hell of a head start against Sony.  The first year of a console's life is it's most important.  A strong start during the first year means Microsoft will probably be strong for the whole generation.  Or a really weak start probably means they are going to have a rough time all generation.

No oversimplification here bro.

This thing is simple. What is game pass?

Its a subscription service that has a library of games that you can "download" to your console. 

That's it. Period. Done. 

How does sony emulate such a service?

Expand the already existing PS now, which also allows game downloads mind you (easy way) or just start a new service, hell call it PS Nation, and add games released on PS+ over the last 4 years (that's 96 games) and then go onto add all your first-party releases to the service and every upcoming release on day one and as many third party new releases as you can secure. 

Things like these aren't that hard at all. And when sony starts isn't what matters, what matters is what games will be on the service and as far as that is concerned, Sony has by far the better software library. But as I keep saying, sony WILL NOT DO this, because they don't need to do it. But if they see that somehow its doing wonders for MS, then it something they can easily adapt.

Personally, I think you are attaching to much significance to gamepass. It's a great idea, but I just feel that for games, its an unsustainable business model. 

Intrinsic said:

$300 4TF watered-down version of the XSX vs $400 10.3TF version of the PS5 with the only difference being a disc drive?

I said this before this reveal, that the XSS would be in the $300 - $350 range and would likely be all digital, and even then, I said the only thing sony needs to worry about is not having a $399 console.

The XB1 has been at a lower price than the PS4 (albeit unofficially) all of this generation and that didn't stop the PS4 from outselling it. A $100 difference is not going to suddenly make someone that wants a PS5 to go and get an XSS instead. Especially when for that $100 more with the PS5AD, you get a larger SSD and almost 2.5x the power.

I also said this before, the last thing S would want, is a $399 10TF PS5 that falls in the middle of their $299 4TF offering and their 12TF $499 offering. The XSS existing at $299 actually makes a $399 appear to have the better value and a $499 XSX be too expensive.

If however the cheapest PS5 you can buy costs $449/$499 (which as I also said before would be dumb on sony's part if there is a $299 XSS on the market), then you can kiss all this goodbye and then in that case you would have a decent fight on your hands in some territories.

I remember, as well as those who thought a 1080p next gen console was crazy and was never going to happen, because it would be so stupid. Well it's not so crazy now, but we're still yet to determine how smart or stupid this decision was.

A $399 PS5 DE would cast a partial shadow over the XBSS, but if MS is smart, they will make it darn clear that the XBSX would be a waste unless you're gaming on a 4k screen. If they can push that messaging, clearly and loud, it will hurt PS5 DE sales, because why pay $100 more for that extra performance if you don't need 4k capabilities? The casuals won't take the games argument into account like the hardcore will, and XBSS would benefit from it's $100 advantage. Depending on the XBSX price, the XBSS may also be the preferred sale because it's costing MS less and is probably less of a sub, if not breaking even compared to cost and losses of XBSX.

Perhaps a stupid question, but has it been 100% confirmed by SNY that PS5 and PS5 DE are identical in every way, other than the optical drive? It's been explained what's in the PS5, and I've gone through a few articles quickly here, but none of them clearly state that both the PS5 and PS5 DE are exactly the same specs, minus the optical drive. Now based on their form factor and what's been talked about, I would assume they're the same, but do we really know?

PAOerfulone said:
Absolutely no chance at all.
It’ll close the gap and it’ll be a closer race than the PS4/XBO was, but that’s not saying much.

That race will likely finish as follows:
PS4 - 125 million
XBO - 50 million

And THIS race will probably look like this:
PS5 - 105 million
XSX - 70 million

There’s going to be a lot of early adapters, more than usual for a new console generation thanks to that $300 Series S, and then when those consumers eventually want to upgrade, they’ll be much more likely to go to Series X than PS5c since they’ll already have an account, Game Pass, and be well familiar with the Xbox Series ecosystem at that point.

Microsoft still doesn’t stand a chance, but that’s ok, because it would still be an improvement over last gen and they would be on they can build off that momentum so that one day, they might be able to compete.

If there's a $100 gap between PS5 DE and XBSS, I'd guess XB should be able to put themselves back in 360 sales territory, if they can bring the games. This was about the only choice they had anyway. If they tried to go toe to toe with PS5 and compete as directly as possible, very little would have changed from this gen.

The next move would be to eventually slim down the XBSX and make it all digital, while introducing a new top tier model (with an optical drive again). Get the all digital crowd to not only upgrade, but remain all digital.

XBSS $299.
GamePass $9.99.
You've got a next-gen console with instant access to just about every new game. Xbox could very well surprise us all.

EricHiggin said:

I remember, as well as those who thought a 1080p next gen console was crazy and was never going to happen, because it would be so stupid. Well it's not so crazy now, but we're still yet to determine how smart or stupid this decision was.

A $399 PS5 DE would cast a partial shadow over the XBSS, but if MS is smart, they will make it darn clear that the XBSX would be a waste unless you're gaming on a 4k screen. If they can push that messaging, clearly and loud, it will hurt PS5 DE sales, because why pay $100 more for that extra performance if you don't need 4k capabilities? The casuals won't take the games argument into account like the hardcore will, and XBSS would benefit from it's $100 advantage. Depending on the XBSX price, the XBSS may also be the preferred sale because it's costing MS less and is probably less of a sub, if not breaking even compared to cost and losses of XBSX.

Perhaps a stupid question, but has it been 100% confirmed by SNY that PS5 and PS5 DE are identical in every way, other than the optical drive? It's been explained what's in the PS5, and I've gone through a few articles quickly here, but none of them clearly state that both the PS5 and PS5 DE are exactly the same specs, minus the optical drive. Now based on their form factor and what's been talked about, I would assume they're the same, but do we really know?

Exactly, what MS needs to do with XBSS is basically make as clear a distinction between it and the XBSX as possible. Bt they are already failing at this, their official tweet IIRC on the XBSS still ven mentions 1440p upscaling to 4K. This means even there they are still pushing that whole power is relevant argument.

But if they did what you said, then it would be a case of, well I don't have a 4KTV or need one so I will just get an XBSS instead of spending an extra $100 for 4K that I do not need. But if they did that, then they are also making their XBSX seem even less relevant. I mean,if a $299 box can play the exact same games ad everything is the same outside resolution, why do i need to spend $200 for 4K? When I can spend $100 more for 4Kon the PS5?

And yes, its been officially confirmed that the only difference between the two is the disc drive.

Eric: The idea here is, there’s a second [PS5] that represents the growth of the digital business over the years…. And a lot of consumers have shifted the way they interact with our products. Part of my job, and my team’s, is to talk to consumers all the time, understand what they like and what they want. And there’s a segment of consumers that just want to go digital.

So this is the answer to that need. It’s a discless version [of PS5]. It’s important to note that, it’s essentially the same product. You’re not talking about any change to features, or any change to power. It’s the same product, with slight cosmetic differences, and no disc drive. So it’s all digital.

I think it is a near certainty that XB will sell better next gen than this gen. But, unless Sony screws up, or MS decides they want to win no matter the cost, it seems pretty unlikely that XB can outsell PS5.

MS has pockets so deep that they can easily outsell PS5 if they decide that's important to them. They could give the consoles away if they wanted to. They're not going to do that, of course. But, if they decide that they need an XB is 200 million houses for some reason, they certainly can make it happen by dropping the price to something insanely low .