By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Atari VCS cost 400 dollars

I understand they can't take the heavy losses like Sony and Microsoft. But $400 is an absolute joke. Should be $99.99-$149.99. There's no path to victory no matter how cheap it is though. This is not a mass market item. It will be lucky to crack a million units, and that's being very optimistic. 100k-250k is more likely.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

This is a scam of some sort.

dx11332sega said:
What I'm gonna say is off topic but. Angry video game nerd is 40 years old started gaming on NES.I can imagine Atari fanbase in 50's but IDK? can atari get this fanbase back?

Nope.  Because the Atari fanbase is smart.  That means I'm smart, and I'm not even in my 50s.  That means I'm a prodigy.

shikamaru317 said:

I truly don’t understand how they thought that a console with a 2 core, 4 thread Ryzen CPU and a 400 gflop GPU, running on Linux with no exclusive games, could compete in a new console generation against the 8 core, 16 thread Zen 2 CPU and 10/12 tflop PS5 and XSX, especially at this price. It’s outclassed in specs by about 30x on the GPU front by Series X.

if it was a handheld, it could compete with the switch in terms of specs.
The issue is the games. People seem to forget, thats why we buy these systems, to game on.
Without something to draw you in, your console is near worthless.

Nintendo has a fantastic games library and so many strong 1st party IP.
Atari? lol.

Since its not a handheld, this Atari VCS shouldnt be more than 149$ or so (with its specs).
It probably didnt cost much in parts. Its obviously grossly overpriced for what is inside it.

This feels more like a collectors box rather than a mainstream product for the masses

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
What I'm gonna say is off topic but. Angry video game nerd is 40 years old started gaming on NES.I can imagine Atari fanbase in 50's but IDK? can atari get this fanbase back?

It is not even closely related to Ataris fanbase , this is more a takeover and scam.

When is this being added to VGChartz sales graph?

mutantsushi said:

I don't think the site is ready to track negative sales.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

mutantsushi said:

You think this sells more or less than the Ouya?

Ouya sold like 1m? units.
And its most popular and probably best game (towerfall), sold around 7000 units.

Most people just converted it to a emulator machine, and used it to play snes/ps1/n64 games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtariVCS/comments/kdhnk2/i_finally_got_my_atari_vcs_console_review/