By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario 3D All-Stars monstrous performance on amazon.com and it's already overtaken TLOU2 2020 total sales.

Maybe it's time to tell SM64 cultists there is a far different version of the game for Nintendo DS. An almost 16 years old version by the way

Can't believe developers made such a crime. SM64 cult needs to riot and set fire on Nintendo headquarters

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

Maybe it's time to tell SM64 cultists there is a far different version of the game for Nintendo DS. An almost 16 years old version by the way

Can't believe developers made such a crime. SM64 cult needs to riot and set fire on Nintendo headquarters

Granted, 1-Up Studios, iQue, and Nintendo European Research and Development are the ones doing the additional work for the collection. So its not like Nintendo EPD are heavily involved in the collection. They are likely doing other big projects for Mario.

JRPGfan said:
Nintendos biggest strength is 3D mario games..... so this doesnt surprise me.
It makes you wonder why they havn't done so long before.

Based  on what do you say that? Certainly not sales. 

Kai_Mao said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Granted, 1-Up Studios, iQue, and Nintendo European Research and Development are the ones doing the additional work for the collection. So its not like Nintendo EPD are heavily involved in the collection. They are likely doing other big projects for Mario.

I'm aware of that. I'm sure they will release another Odyssey 2 or whatever for Switch and it will be a 99% of chance for this to be a must buy. I'm not concerned with the future of Super Mario franchise like I am with upcoming Pokemon games, I'm criticizing this release in specific 

DonFerrari said:
Cobretti2 said:

All though a remaster, the general public don't hate remasters. Also don't forget most people don't write positive things, they write negative things so there is always a vocal minority, Look at most election around the world. The majority voter stays silent and Polls mean nothing.

I also bet the main reason for these sales is Mario Sunshine. Gamecube sales were not great and a lot of people just did not buy the game either as it was a radical change to the N64 mario and people kind of went WTF did Nintendo do. Since then the game has grown on people and the userbase has also grown on Nintendo systems, so if they want to play Sinshine it is now an expensive game on Gamecube. This is the cheapest way to play it so it will sell well.

Can it really be called a remaster?

It is true that people mostly write negative instead of positive. But again looking at the other thread mostly was positive comments about the collection and was here in the forum.

I was excited about the collection when I heard (sure I didn't pay attention to the 3D so was even expecting the older 2D games as well, but that is on me), but when their selection of games was limited to a point to not include last gen and also not the sequel on the same gen, the full price and lack of real improvements on the games I got pretty disappointed.

I don't think most of the people buying this are old timer that have played Mario 64 or Sunshine because of the "lack of sales" during that gen, though. But I'm more talking about the VGC behavior instead of the market itself, on the market most of the collections have done fairly well (sure not as well as Mario will do, but that is also because originally they didn't do as well as Mario anyway). But in VGC we have seem many times this.

I just call anything on a next gen system a remaster, but I guess its technically slightly enhanced ports.

Personally I got no issue with any ports unless they do what Crapcom do, so naturally I will be excited if I liked those games when I was younger. My biggest beef is probably games coming out then 12 months later they do a game of the year editions, which implies they really were not ready to launch the game in my eyes.

I think the other reason people used to hate on ports was because it wasn't enhanced (like this collection with some effort) in the past, where as lately devs put a bit of effort in to make it better. I think real Remasters, especially going from say PS3 to PS5 for AAA games will be fantastic seeing them use ray tracing and better graphics. It will add to the experience and make those games even better. 

Around the Network

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

BlackBeauty said:

There’s a whole cult of speed runners for Mario 64. Could you imagine what would happen if Nintendo decides to “improve” the gameplay???

Treat them as differerent versions of the game with separate high scores?

They already separate speedruns on the N64-console from VC-speedruns, EMU-speedruns, SM64DS-speedruns...

Immersiveunreality said:
BlackBeauty said:

Glad you agree. There’s a whole cult of speed runners for Mario 64. Could you imagine what would happen if Nintendo decides to “improve” the gameplay???

There’s no cult no huge fandom attach to Crash or Spyro. I mean there IS to a certain extent but it’s really not even close to the same level as the fandom of 3D Mario games.

That’s like asking Nintendo to change gameplay for Smash Bro’s Melee LOL.

Well would not be so bad to make the gameplay a tiny bit more like modern Mario games,and since when would speedrunners dictate Nintendo's decisions or even dictate wise marketing decisions?

Mario 64 and Sunshine with an Odyssy look and evenly smooth gameplay would be nice imo.

JWeinCom said:
BlackBeauty said:

Glad you agree. There’s a whole cult of speed runners for Mario 64. Could you imagine what would happen if Nintendo decides to “improve” the gameplay???

There’s no cult no huge fandom attach to Crash or Spyro. I mean there IS to a certain extent but it’s really not even close to the same level as the fandom of 3D Mario games.

That’s like asking Nintendo to change gameplay for Smash Bro’s Melee LOL.

Eh... what would happen is that those players would continue to play whatever version of the game they've been playing. Nintendo has made multiple versions of virtually every 2D Mario game, and there already is another version of Super Mario 64 out there with significantly different gameplay. Dunno why another version would be a problem.

IcaroRibeiro said:

Mario 64 DS is a forgotten and inferior version of the original Mario 64. Yeah that sure turned out great. That wasn’t a “remaster”. It was literally a different game.

This collection is more or less a celebration of Mario history. Why would you “update” anything aside from graphics and resolution to an already practically “perfect” game to literally millions of people. This isn’t a remake anyways. It’s more or less updated ports.

Nintendo already did a remake. Link’s Awakening in 2019. It’s not like they haven’t done remakes.

Last edited by BlackBeauty - on 06 September 2020

KLXVER said:
brute said:
People saying Ninty get away with these types of stuff while other companies cannot... Maybe when the others have as iconic games as Ninty then they will do the same thing, especially Mario 64/Galaxy type level iconic.

In the meantime, just pre-ordered!

Im sure a Final Fantasy 7, 8 and 9 collection in HD would bomb and everyone would hate on it, right? 

Probably not though.

Conina said:
OTBWY said:

Sorry but, the high res modern Mario model seems very out of place in that world. It's some kind of freakzoid hybrid. They best rework everything.. however in such a case imo it loses the look or soul of SM64.

Of course you can keep the old mario model and just replace textures.

I like this (12 year old) texture pack:

Comparison: an official screenshot of the new Mario 3D collection:

I’m sorry but those textures are ugly as sin. I’d rather look at the original. Look at the weird edgeless dirt, the flat tiles, the out-of-place sky and the silly looking Whomp. These things somehow actually have less detail than they originally did. High res doesn’t equal better.

I’m not saying Nintendo shouldn’t do anything with this game, in fact I stated earlier that I wished Nintendo would actually remake some things some times, but saying free emulators and texture packs some guy whipped up in an afternoon look better is just silly.

No.14 in overall seller of 2020.