By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CD Projekt Red says The Witcher 3 saw “excellent sales” on Switch

The CD Projekt Group posted 364 million PLN in sales revenues for the first half of 2020 – nearly 70% more than during the corresponding period in 2019. Compared to the first half of 2019, the Group’s net profit increased nearly threefold, reaching 147 million PLN.

This improvement in our earnings compared to the past year is due, among others, to the unceasing popularity of The Witcher 3, including excellent sales of its Nintendo Switch edition, as well as releases of other games from The Witcher universe on new hardware platforms. In late 2019 GWENT was made available to users of iOS devices, with the Android release following in the first half of the current year. We also released Thronebreaker for Nintendo Switch. The mobile editions of our games – another first for us – have met with very positive reception among gamers – says Piotr Nielubowicz, Vice President and CFO of CD Projekt.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt sold around 700,000 copies on Switch in 2019. There have been no concrete numbers since then.

Source 1, 2 and 3

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Goes to show that if you put in the effort on Switch, you'll get results.

Other third parties would do well to follow CD Projekt Red's example.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 September 2020

It's always good to hear that a talented and consumer friendly studio gets good results for their hard work. I hope they find the same success with Cyberpunk 2077 and the next gen version of The Witcher 3 .

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

curl-6 said:

Yep. As long as people understand that it is a limited performance port AND NOT something to be comparable to ps4 version it will have good results. The problem is when you expect to have the same result and on "disappointing graphics/resolution" news path.

curl-6 said:

Third parties should release more late ports? Also their new ip should skip the Switch?

I am fairly sure most 3rd parties already do that.

Around the Network

so if it sold 700k within the 2 and a half months it was on sale in 2019 is it safe to assume it's probably crossed well over 1m+ by now? possibly 1.5m?

I legitimately think Cyberpunk 2077 will make it's way to the Switch now eventually, if not the current Switch then whatever the successor is because there's definitely sales to be had there as well even if it's a late port again. I can't imagine CDPR seeing these sales and not considering it at the very least.

EnricoPallazzo said:
curl-6 said:

Yep. As long as people understand that it is a limited performance port AND NOT something to be comparable to ps4 version it will have good results. The problem is when you expect to have the same result and on "disappointing graphics/resolution" news path.

The biggest issue isn't that, it is 3rd parties who just put 5-20% of the game on the cart and call it a physical release. Hell I seen physical releases with a download code, like wtf? if you can make a box, you can make a game cart.

Good example o this poor behaviour is crapcom. Would have most their ports if they did they didn't cut corners on the physical releases

curl-6 said:

I tend to agree.  However, TW3 had the show hitting at the right time to boost sales. More importantly, it may well be the game of the generation, in terms of its overall popularity and just general significance to gaming.  

In other words, it has a lot of factors in it's favor that most games don't/won't have.  

CD Project Red did a great job with this, the success is deserved.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Good for them, over 1M sales on a late port is very strong sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."