By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - CD Projekt Red says The Witcher 3 saw “excellent sales” on Switch

EnricoPallazzo said:
curl-6 said:

Goes to show that if you put in the effort on Switch, you'll get results.

Other third parties would do well to follow CD Projekt Red's example.

Yep. As long as people understand that it is a limited performance port AND NOT something to be comparable to ps4 version it will have good results. The problem is when you expect to have the same result and on "disappointing graphics/resolution" news path.

A think at this point I think nobody seriously expects a AAA Switch port to be technically on par with PS4, it's just not possible given the difference in hardware. The Switch version is for those who value portability or Nintendo gamers who don't own a Playstation, Xbox, or PC rig.

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Goes to show that if you put in the effort on Switch, you'll get results.

Other third parties would do well to follow CD Projekt Red's example.

I tend to agree.  However, TW3 had the show hitting at the right time to boost sales. More importantly, it may well be the game of the generation, in terms of its overall popularity and just general significance to gaming.  

In other words, it has a lot of factors in it's favor that most games don't/won't have.  

It's true that Witcher 3 had a lot in its favour, but it seems to hold fairly true on Switch that if you deliver a desirable product, third party or not, it will sell. Mortal Kombat 11 is another example of a current gen port that charted well on Switch, and Doom 2016 evidently did well enough that we're getting Doom Eternal.

Around the Network

Give the number so the Wikipedia article can be properly updated.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

curl-6 said:

Doom 2016 evidently did well enough that we're getting Doom Eternal.

Are we?  

GWENT is shi$%$# now it was better 3 years ago

LivncA_Dis3 said:
GWENT is shi$%$# now it was better 3 years ago

Oh i was not aware it is different now ,what changed?

Also like usual i'm happy whenever a consumerfriendly company is doing good so great news!

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Are we?  

According to id software we are. No date yet, but in two interviews last month they said it was "really close".

curl-6 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Yep. As long as people understand that it is a limited performance port AND NOT something to be comparable to ps4 version it will have good results. The problem is when you expect to have the same result and on "disappointing graphics/resolution" news path.

A think at this point I think nobody seriously expects a AAA Switch port to be technically on par with PS4, it's just not possible given the difference in hardware. The Switch version is for those who value portability or Nintendo gamers who don't own a Playstation, Xbox, or PC rig.

VAMatt said:

I tend to agree.  However, TW3 had the show hitting at the right time to boost sales. More importantly, it may well be the game of the generation, in terms of its overall popularity and just general significance to gaming.  

In other words, it has a lot of factors in it's favor that most games don't/won't have.  

It's true that Witcher 3 had a lot in its favour, but it seems to hold fairly true on Switch that if you deliver a desirable product, third party or not, it will sell. Mortal Kombat 11 is another example of a current gen port that charted well on Switch, and Doom 2016 evidently did well enough that we're getting Doom Eternal.

I get it, you get it, but a lot of people keep trying to compare both versions to say it is a bad port, it is not worth playing this way etc. I think it is really impressive and opens up the possibility of a lot of people finally playing a 100 hour game if they spend a lot of time commuting or have a lifestyle that allows it.

It's not so much "effort" sells, it's more that a popular IP done reasonably well on the Switch will sell.

Red Dead, GTAV, COD, FF7R and many other IP would ship/sell 1-2+ million on the Switch too if they ran OK on the system.

VAMatt said:
curl-6 said:

Are we?  

Duh.

https://youtu.be/dS-ti6XjT4A

See at the end of the trailer

SKMBlake said:
VAMatt said:

Are we?  

Duh.

https://youtu.be/dS-ti6XjT4A

See at the end of the trailer

To be fair, that trailer is from over a year ago, back when the game was scheduled to come out in 2019. That said, in two separate interviews just last month id software reiterated that the Switch version was not only still coming but "close".

1:26:10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfqP2IcSAI&ab_channel=CrossPlayGaming

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 September 2020